PDA

View Full Version : lost another mulch job

jslawncare22
03-30-2011, 12:15 AM
I need some serious advice on pricing mulch i have lost to 10 mulch jobs this year how do you guys charge for a much job by the hour- by the yard - by the foot ? im lost and im tired of not making any $$$

I was told by the guy i bought out to charge by the foot "$8 A foot if it is 3ft wide x the length im confused on that

So i came up with charging for regular mulch $65 a load delivered and install if local i can get a yard of reg for $20 then each step up is $20 more so for the red it would be $105 delivered and install i know it high but im not sure what else any suggestions ??

zak406
03-30-2011, 12:22 AM
I charge by the job, I find by the yard does not work particulary well because there is always something extra involved with mulching weather it be trimming htis cleaning this ex. ex.

indplstim
03-30-2011, 12:25 AM
we charge anywhere from 65-80 per yard installed including edging, it also all depends on what your market(area) can handle, obviously its different prices everywhere u go, mulch here is anywhere from $18-$32 per yard picked up depepnding on quality and type

ashgrove landscaping
03-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Yea you are high. Get a little on the material an charge by the hour. That way you are always making money.

knox gsl
03-30-2011, 12:30 AM
If I could get it for $20 per yard, I would charge $75 per yard delivered and installed, plus extra for any bed prep work, and may do a price break if they get over 10 yards. Estimating (guesstimating) how much you need takes time and ther is no real good formula. For my area most homes are less than 4 yards for a yearly freashening. Also you can play with the price some if you can drive next to the beds, maybe lower, and if you have to wheel it uphill for a hundred yards then charge more.

J.R. Services
03-30-2011, 12:57 AM
65/yd undyed, 80/yd dyed, around here mulching is a dying business thanks to lowes and even mulch suppliers, with bagged mulch people can haul it n their suvs, and luch suppliers are willing to deliver for a little bit of nothing, and all people need is a wheelbarrow and a rake. This is what happens when times get tight
Posted via Mobile Device

TurnerLawn&Landscape
03-30-2011, 04:57 PM
$100/yd died mulch installed and delivered....extra for trimming/pruning and bed edging

nobagger
03-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Yea you are high. Get a little on the material an charge by the hour. That way you are always making money.

YUP! Typical mark up on most products is anywhere from 25-35%. In our little landscaping world its more like 5-10%. We mark up a small margin but you can only mark it up as far as list is.....if you buy mulch from a local seller and his regular price is say, 30 bucks per yard and sells it to you for 27 per yard, you can only mark it up so far. You don't want to mark it up any further than the customer can buy it for. We usually sell it for list then a delivery fee and per man hour to install it.

nobagger
03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
65/yd undyed, 80/yd dyed, around here mulching is a dying business thanks to lowes and even mulch suppliers, with bagged mulch people can haul it n their suvs, and luch suppliers are willing to deliver for a little bit of nothing, and all people need is a wheelbarrow and a rake. This is what happens when times get tight
Posted via Mobile Device

Bagged mulch has been around for years at box stores. This is why you educate your customer's in the fact bulk is so much more cost effective.

greenstar lawn
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
The yard where i get mulch from is $24 hardwood, $28 dyed and $31 for ceder. I charge $90 a yard for delivery and installed. does not incl any trimming. Though i see it as cheap as $32 delivered and installed for hardwood. I mainly only target my lawn customers so i don't have a problem with another company coming in and under bidding me.

GMLC
03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
I charge $65 per yard delivered and installed.

jhouchins
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
I charge $60-$70 per yard installed. Edging and excessive bed prep is extra.

THEGOLDPRO
03-30-2011, 07:11 PM
We charge $65 per yard, for just the labor, that includes weeding, edging, and installing the mulch. And whatever the cost of the mulch they pick out.

So if we do a 10 yard mulch job and they pick the $20 dollar mulch we charge them

$250 for the material delivered.
$689 for labor to install.
for a grand total of $939.00 for the entire job.

But thats in my part of CT where the price of things are usually higher then most states. And i rarely lose any bids with my pricing. People out here would rather pay more to have the job done right.

J.R. Services
03-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Bagged mulch has been around for years at box stores. This is why you educate your customer's in the fact bulk is so much more cost effective.

This use to be true but now I can get bagged mulch for the same price/sometimes cheaper than bulk, and there's no cleanup

vencops
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
^^^ I wanna believe this. But, I've run the numbers.

Lowest price I've found for 2CF of mulch is $2.31. If you do the math, that's about $30/CY.

Am I missing something?

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
90 per yard pine. One hundred per yard hemlock delivered and installed. Edging is a separate charge at one ten per foot. Make you money! It is a must. Do not work cheap. Do nice work and get paid for it. We are in the northeast
Posted via Mobile Device

bigkid
03-30-2011, 11:50 PM
i have had a few mulch jobs this year that i didn't lose to another contractor but in the end the homeowner decides to do it themselves. The most recent one was where a guy wanted a good spring cleanup done. The cleanup in itself was gona take awhile because his whole back yard was fenced in and he had beds along the whole fence. Well he said he was trying to save money by not having anyone do a fall cleanup so he had leaves that were now stuck to the ground. Not to mention he had a bunch of lilac and forsythias that he wanted trimmed and also wanted all the limbs cleaned up that had come down during the winter from all the big trees he had. My price was 1300.00 and that was to clean out, weed and edge the beds, prune back all the bushes, and clean up the whole yard of leaves and tree limbs. His response was " i never thought it would cost that much for a little clean up and mulching". He then called a few days later and said he wanted me to know i was the cheapest quote he had gotten but he just didn't have that kind of money to spend so him and his fire fighter buddies were gona do it.

jslawncare22
03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
thanks for the advice based on what i see from the replies im right on track for my piercing i guess people around here just want a half a$$ job for $20 and by the way this is the best site i have found

32vld
03-31-2011, 10:46 AM
.... Not to mention he had a bunch of lilac and forsythias that he wanted trimmed ....he just didn't have that kind of money to spend....

One thing to not have money, but this customrer lives on Self Denial Lane. Flowering plants have to be pruned after the blooms are over not before. Doesn't he know he won't have flowers?

Lot of people have their income cut since 2007. But to ignore doing work in the fall and ignore that the spring clean up will not be light and that some work can be time sensitive.

bigkid
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM
i did tell the customer that the best time to trim flowering plants is after they flower and he said he didn't care about the flowers,and his wife plants flowers anyway:dizzy: so thats why i included them in the price i gave him. Losing a bid is one thing, but then again i don't expect to get everything i bid on, but i hate when customers call for an estimate, then make a big deal about the price and just do it themselves. If you wana do it yourself thats fine, but why even call in the first place :hammerhead:

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-01-2011, 07:42 AM
I lose lot jobs all time and gained lot jobs
Other Lawn Companies around just lay mulch thats it, So they beat my price
My self I define beds, Turn over old much before laying new mulch.
Around trees I will remove the older mulch so there no build up of much,remove any weeds and define the bed
I tell people you get what paid for From the other companies From me you get more for your money

nobagger
04-01-2011, 07:53 AM
i have had a few mulch jobs this year that i didn't lose to another contractor but in the end the homeowner decides to do it themselves. The most recent one was where a guy wanted a good spring cleanup done. The cleanup in itself was gona take awhile because his whole back yard was fenced in and he had beds along the whole fence. Well he said he was trying to save money by not having anyone do a fall cleanup so he had leaves that were now stuck to the ground. Not to mention he had a bunch of lilac and forsythias that he wanted trimmed and also wanted all the limbs cleaned up that had come down during the winter from all the big trees he had. My price was 1300.00 and that was to clean out, weed and edge the beds, prune back all the bushes, and clean up the whole yard of leaves and tree limbs. His response was " i never thought it would cost that much for a little clean up and mulching". He then called a few days later and said he wanted me to know i was the cheapest quote he had gotten but he just didn't have that kind of money to spend so him and his fire fighter buddies were gona do it.

Hey at least he was honest and didn't stick you with an unpaid bill. I would have more respect for people if they just said they didn't have the money.