PDA

View Full Version : creeping charlie

2 clowns mowing
03-30-2011, 07:31 AM
has anyone use borax to kill ground ivy? and if so what concentrate do u use.

Smallaxe
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
borax works for ants, and is a micronutrient for plants... I wouldn't waste too much time trying it...

Dr.NewEarth
04-04-2011, 05:48 PM
We have a groundcover here, I believe it is call Lamium. We call it Creeping Charlie too.
I don't know if it's the same problem you have. It's verigated and can grow six inches in a week. Yellow flowers?
We should all be using Latin names instead of common regional ones.

Any-how, one of the cities here has aerial photos of housing complexes next to green belts,
where this stuff, ivy and other invasive non-native plants are taking over the forest floor.

Like ivy, it has alot of rhizomes and is very tough to get rid of.

Mostly it has been dumped from annual baskets that have dead plants in dried up soil.
It can die back from lack of water, but those darn roots stay hidden in the soil ready to grow quickly once they get a drink.

You can keep it wacked down low for now and when it is warm enough, get a roller and some round-up.
Read the label. You can roll this amino acid compound, which is a broad-spectrum, postemergence, translocated herbicide, onto the short stocks.
I wouldn't spray glyphosates.

I hope I haven't unintentionally given Monsanto an ad here.
I do not agree with some of their practices or genetic modifications of food seeds.
Although I am a Government Licensed Pesticide Applicator, I do not use the above.
My company promotes and practices eco-friendly control methods.

Go Canucks!

Smallaxe
04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
What we call Creeping Charlie is a purple flowered member of the mint family...

Dr.NewEarth
04-05-2011, 04:47 PM
At least it'll smell good when ya whack it!

green_mark
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Here is a photo of the results from our new formula created last summer for the control of mature crabgrass....on Creeping Charlie.

The snow has just left the area and this was treated last fall with one application. The grass is still mostly dormant as a huge ~20' pile of salt/snow melted.

The green on the right is all Creeping Charlie and no clean-up as yet as evidenced by the mess of twigs,leaves, etc..

Check out more photos at Http://www.GreenGuardian.US/weeds.html

44DCNF
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I have used borax with great success on creeping charlie.

The look alike mentioned above is lamiastrum. It's leaf shape, growth habit and stems are similar. Mature leaves will have a silver pattern in them. The odd leaf here and there may develop to not have the silver in them and those can be confused with cc easily. Lamiastrum's flowers are yellow, and it's also called yellow archangel.

Google and you will find the recipe. Creeping Charlie is very sensitive to increased levels of Boron while alll your other surrounding plants are not so much. This treatment should not harm your other plantings at all. I think it was something like 2 T./gallon, for each 100 square feet. I did it ten years ago when we bought a weed infested roperty. Ground ivy was the first weed tackled. It worked very well and I no longer fight it other than at the fenceline where it tries to creep in. The borax treatment will make the stems and runners very tough and woody. You then just grab a handfull and pull. Runners up to feet away will start coming up with it. You can rake larger areas with a steel rake and pull it up just the same.

Smallaxe
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I have used borax with great success on creeping charlie.

The look alike mentioned above is lamiastrum. It's leaf shape, growth habit and stems are similar. Mature leaves will have a silver pattern in them. The odd leaf here and there may develop to not have the silver in them and those can be confused with cc easily. Lamiastrum's flowers are yellow, and it's also called yellow archangel.

Google and you will find the recipe. Creeping Charlie is very sensitive to increased levels of Boron while alll your other surrounding plants are not so much. This treatment should not harm your other plantings at all. I think it was something like 2 T./gallon, for each 100 square feet. I did it ten years ago when we bought a weed infested roperty. Ground ivy was the first weed tackled. It worked very well and I no longer fight it other than at the fenceline where it tries to creep in. The borax treatment will make the stems and runners very tough and woody. You then just grab a handfull and pull. Runners up to feet away will start coming up with it. You can rake larger areas with a steel rake and pull it up just the same.

Never heard of such a thing... now I have to try it... :)

we don't have to treat it then pull it do we? I expect to spray it and it will die.

44DCNF
04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
You could leave it but might get some small bits that comeback from roots. I raked up all my areas so cant fully say what you will encounter when not raking it up. With the borax treatment, the whole plants structures get wirey tough so I suppose raking and pulling it gets some roots or parts missed, that might otherwise stand a chance to re-establish. I think the best reason to remove it is to benefit the recovery of the turf by allowing in more air and light.

Mix in warm water to fully dissolve.

2 clowns mowing
04-08-2011, 07:00 AM
instead of raking would a de-thacher ran lightly over the area shred up the roots as well. thanks for all the reply's well give it a try

lawnlandscape
06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
We have a groundcover here, I believe it is call Lamium. We call it Creeping Charlie too.
I don't know if it's the same problem you have. It's verigated and can grow six inches in a week. Yellow flowers?
We should all be using Latin names instead of common regional ones.

Any-how, one of the cities here has aerial photos of housing complexes next to green belts,
where this stuff, ivy and other invasive non-native plants are taking over the forest floor.

Like ivy, it has alot of rhizomes and is very tough to get rid of.

Mostly it has been dumped from annual baskets that have dead plants in dried up soil.
It can die back from lack of water, but those darn roots stay hidden in the soil ready to grow quickly once they get a drink.

You can keep it wacked down low for now and when it is warm enough, get a roller and some round-up.
Read the label. You can roll this amino acid compound, which is a broad-spectrum, postemergence, translocated herbicide, onto the short stocks.
I wouldn't spray glyphosates.

I hope I haven't unintentionally given Monsanto an ad here.
I do not agree with some of their practices or genetic modifications of food seeds.
Although I am a Government Licensed Pesticide Applicator, I do not use the above.
My company promotes and practices eco-friendly control methods.

Go Canucks!

Lamium is a beautiful perennial!!