PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do with your excavators?

Husky05
03-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Hello everyone,

An excavator is a very large purchase for anyone and depending what size of machine and beind new or not could really make or break a small company. My question to you is, what do you guys do with your excavators when you dont have anywork for it and still have to make a payment?

When I am using mine during wall construction or landscape removals its great, but then there are times when it just sits here. I have used it on occasion for some plumbers which works great, but anyone else got any ideas to get some work for it?

Thanks

ksss
03-30-2011, 01:13 PM
If you want the headaches you can rent it out. Not a perfect solution but guys are doing that here. No steady work for anyone so they will rent the machine out when its available. Mines almost paid for so shortly it wont hurt so bad when its sitting, but it does sting.

Ozz
03-30-2011, 05:00 PM
The 315 never sits. Hydraulic thumb and a few other extras (slab bucket, grapple, ditch bucket, and multiple GP, and a trench bucket, wide double bar pads) make it uber-versatile.

I do forestry, demolition, excavation, utilities, pond work, and a ton of other stuff with it. Excavators, with the attachments available today, are really a swiss army knife. And the 15 ton size makes it even more versatile, as it can go nearly anywhere, and do a lot of stuff usually reserved for larger gear, ableit it takes a little longer.

blowerman
03-30-2011, 05:54 PM
My 160 sits from time to time. To answer the question, learn to budget for slow times.
Sometimes when it sits this gives us time to repaint the counter weights and clean it.
Big iron is not easy to own.

stuvecorp
03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Mine just sits looking pretty in the shop. :hammerhead:

It does load stuff and use it for black dirt screening so it is useful even thought it isn't 'bringing' money in.

Dirtman2007
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
It runs in spells for my stuff, one of my big excavators has set for a month. but I've been using the other machines so it doesn't really matter. come to think of it I've only used my little takeuchi mini excavator on about 3 or 4 jobs this year, but its paid for and is worth more to keep it and use it for loading stuff at the shop ect.

cuttin-to-the-Max
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
My buddy uses his BIG CAT to plow with takes off the arm and plows subdivision streets
Its quite a machine! Has a custom snow plow that mounts in bet. the tracks!

NEUSWEDE
03-30-2011, 08:27 PM
My buddy uses his BIG CAT to plow with takes off the arm and plows subdivision streets

I need to see pictures of that!

Junior M
03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
thats gotta be slow going....

P.Services
03-30-2011, 08:32 PM

Ohhh bulllll crapppppp !! Steel tracks on a street turning all over?

Pictures or bust
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
03-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Pictures or bust
Posted via Mobile Device

Rubber tracks actually!
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Well it must not be to big then. You say big and I'm thinking of a 345 cat walking in my sub crushing mailboxes and pushing cars into a snow pile.
Posted via Mobile Device

AdvLandscapeLLC
03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
2012 zombie invasion style crushing everything in sight, just picture it now steel cage around the cab with military dozer style blade, i think i just went to far lol*trucewhiteflag*:usflag::usflag::usflag:

NEUSWEDE
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Rubber tracks actually!
Posted via Mobile Device

PICTURES PLEASE OR VIDEO!

I don't believe it. Can't see that being efficient.

cuttin-to-the-Max
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I'll try to get pics when he gets back from Vacation
It's not big but it's a mid size x with a plow!
Posted via Mobile Device

NEUSWEDE
03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I'll try to get pics when he gets back from Vacation
It's not big but it's a mid size x with a plow!
Posted via Mobile Device

Still that is a site to be seen!

P.Services
03-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Its probably just a little knock down blade like they all have
Posted via Mobile Device

blowerman
04-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Pictures or bust
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree, nobody in their right mind would run or want to run steel tracks on the street. The cost of maintaining tracks is huge. Pics or I don't believe it.

curtisfarmer
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I too plow with my excavator. Although I use my grading bucket instead of a plow. Much, much faster than a plow. I do about 22 driveways which are about 500-1,000' average length. I also plow naked with the front glass rolled up, door open, and the heat off.:laugh:

coopers
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I also plow naked with the front glass rolled up, door open, and the heat off.:laugh:

Thank you for that visual. Always a good way to start the day. :dizzy: lol

YellowDogSVC
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I've got a mini Bobcat 335 with thumb. I bought it for difficult tree removals on hillsides and for helping with demo and cutting in roads. I found that it is excellent for pulling up boulders which I can sell or use on my own ranch. I used it for some demo earlier this year and found that for loading stumps into my dump trailer, I can be alot more precise.

I have also used the angle blade for grading my 1/2 mile of gravel road. Not as fast as the Bobcat and landplane but if I have to move the machine to another part of the 100 ac, I might as well grade and clean out ditches.

It's been handy for digging graves for horses and dogs and for cleaning out our stock tank and creeks after flooding. In the winter we plant a lot of trees with it digging 5x5x4 holes in rocky ground. I'm still learning a lot about it but I tinted the windows dark for the heat of summer and in the winter I open the cab and enjoy the weather. I plan on getting a mulcher eventually but I already have too many attachments/machines and I'm just one guy right now.

I'd like to have a small horizontal grinder and use it to load trees. That would be my ultimate setup for the work I do.