PDA

View Full Version : tow behind dethachers

STIHL GUY
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
those tow behind dethachers that you put behind your mower, do they work well or no? i was just wondering wether i sould buy one or just keep renting for now...i know you can put weights on them to make them work better but i wasnt sure if anyone had experience with these or not.... Thanks

Bush Lawn Care
03-30-2011, 08:56 AM
was wondering this myself, guessing they "might" get the job done eventually, but not very effectively. the powered rotory dethatcher I was looking at appears to have one "comb" every inch or so, maybe closer than that, the tow behinds I have seen look like the combs are approx every 4 or 6 inches.
I really have no experience to base this on, but I would venture to say that the tow behinds would only do a good job if you went over the same area overlapping many times and each lap being perpendicular to the previous

elitelawnteam1
03-30-2011, 09:14 AM
It depends what kind of dethatcher you are talking about. A spring type (little metal "sticks" in the ground (this type is not very effective) or a Powered Flail Blade type, that is driven by an independent engine, and is towed behind the mower (or you could get the walk behind model)

My suggestion is to stick with the flail blade dethatcher, if you still have to rent them, keep at it, because your clients will feel ripped off if you come deathwatch with those stupid little spring tines while your competition is across the street using a REAL dethatcher. Quality is better than Quantity

If you can afford a dethatcher, I strongly recommend Bluebird or Husqvarna (same machine) make sure it has a Honda Commercial (GX) on it. Because they do offer a residential option (GC) which sucks. Depending on how many jobs you get, you could potentially pay for it in a matter of weeks.

Check craigslist or go to a rental shop, they might be selling used dethatchers, and you could walk out with some good deals. Home Depot Rental stores sell used equipment pretty early (after 500 hours? i think)

good luck

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-30-2011, 09:49 AM
yes works good on lawns that has less thatch
I built mine used Hay rake teeth. Cost under $100

JRT01
03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
lets see a picture...

ncls
03-31-2011, 04:10 AM
I have a jrco tine dethatcher. Mounts on the front of a walk behind, or rider.

Works very well.

http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=3

Panhead
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
At the time, I needed a dethatcher so I obviously ran to Lowes and they had a decent dethatcher for $100. I use it behind my lawn tractor and have no issues with it, it does a pretty good job.