PDA

View Full Version : Best setup for playground/mulch drainage?

Red Bull Junkie
03-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey Guys,

In need of suggestions for mulch/Drainage install @ daycare facility. Playground

is about 1200 sq/ft and I'm planning on installing 50 yards of certified playground

mulch which should give me a depth of about 1 ft. What do you suggest to

ensure proper drainage from the play area?

Thanks in advance

White Gardens
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
I would just make sure the sub-grade isn't a hard-pan so the water can leach away.

little green guy
04-10-2011, 11:31 PM
we built a playground at a public elementry school a year or two ago. I believe the specs called for 6" of 3/4" clean stone with fabric over the stone and 10" of certified playground mulch. We also had the subgrade pitched to allow water to flow through the gravel to a pipe that was daylighted. We built the whole project from the excavating to installing the playground equipment and mulch, the one thing you need to be carefull of is the hieght at which kids can fall from determines how many inches of mulch is required. We where supplied all the specs because it was a public job but I believe the company that manufactured the playground equipment determined the mulch thickness. It can be a big liability if not followed correctly, just a heads up.

White Gardens
04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
we built a playground at a public elementry school a year or two ago. I believe the specs called for 6" of 3/4" clean stone with fabric over the stone and 10" of certified playground mulch. We also had the subgrade pitched to allow water to flow through the gravel to a pipe that was daylighted. We built the whole project from the excavating to installing the playground equipment and mulch, the one thing you need to be carefull of is the hieght at which kids can fall from determines how many inches of mulch is required. We where supplied all the specs because it was a public job but I believe the company that manufactured the playground equipment determined the mulch thickness. It can be a big liability if not followed correctly, just a heads up.

Do you have that calculator for determining depth and height of equipment?

I've got a client that runs a small at home daycare and is wanting certified playground mulch as she is cleaning up her back yard and wanting to install equipment.

I just want to make sure the kiddos are safe and all concerns are addressed when I go meet with them.