PDA

View Full Version : I have been "enlightened."

starry night
03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
On Feb. 1, I posted a pretty simple and straightforward question about uplighting vs. downlighting for a new home my wife and I are having built. Since then I have been doing a lot of studying on this forum and on various manufacturer or supplier websites.

(I have since read the sticky directed at do-it-yourselfers although in my original post I made no reference to being one. In fact, I mentioned that I was a professional landscaper.)

There were only two responses, one from James of Integra, who mainly suggested I seek out a lighting professional.

The other was from Steve Parrott of CAST who actually gave me a brief but useful answer. (Even though he was the author of the sticky which pretty much said "Don't ask questions like this." :)

Take note you other guys: Because of Steve's polite answer, his was the first website that I visited and I was amazed at what outdoor LV lighting could be.

I have looked at other websites including some of lighting installers on this forum and I have been enlightened and
I am very excited for the prospects of adding lighting to my business.

In a recent thread, I have noticed that some of the forum members are concerned about unqualified contractors getting into lighting without proper knowledge. Don't worry about those like me. I have been in business for 25 years and pride myself on my knowledge and experience. I plan to attend one of those "dreaded" one-day seminars soon just to get started. I am blessed with a wonderful sense of design, plus I know plants, but will probably end up hiring an electrical apprentice.

Thanks again for "showing me the light" and the possibilities of enhancing landscaping with LV lighting

emby
03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Hello dirtandhoops,

Welcome to the forum.
The passion for landscape lighting is what drives most of us here and it looks as though you have that passion and I hope that you enjoy everyday of landscape lighting.
You will find a vast amount of information within these threads to get started. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions at all as most here will share their experiences.
As you read through some of the more recent threads you will find some associations that are most helpful. If you are serious about engaging in the landscape lighting sector I would suggest that you look one of them up as they will help you propel your business in the right direction.
Good luck and happy lighting.

David Gretzmier
03-30-2011, 10:54 PM
dirt and hoops- glad to have you onboard !

sorry I did not reply to your original thread, I was on a cruise ship for most of february. glad you got some info from steve and James. excellent guys both.

I also am glad you are doing research and learning the ropes before charging a customer to do work. That is definetely the way to go and to give good value to your future clients. doing your own home first is also a great way to get your feet wet on install, voltage drop, placement, and discovering what tools you need and what tools you already have that are useful.

Fx's class is one my local eweing distributor puts on every quarter or so and they cover the basics and you get a free lunch. the advanced Fx class is usually once a year and covers things you may already have figured out by the time it is offered if you do a dozen or so jobs for customers and you care how it looks and works.

good luck and keep learning-

The Lighting Geek
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Welcome!

I tend to a lurker these days and don't post as often. Feel free to PM anytime.
It is a fun addiction isn't it?

starry night
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Welcome!

I tend to a lurker these days and don't post as often. Feel free to PM anytime.
It is a fun addiction isn't it?

Tommy, Your reputation precedes you. I may take you up on the PM. I am especially excited because my local market is so pioneer. We have plenty of upscale homes but around here landscaping lighting is thought of as built-in soffit lights or a few spotlights and pathlights from Lowe's, Home Depot, or Menards. (Which is what I always thought, too.)

Lite4
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I pop in when I can, but there are always a few of us around to answer questions.

If you invest yourself in getting aquainted with the lighting industry, the landscape side will lose a lot of its appeal and you will become a light addict like the rest of us.

Have a great time!

NightScenes
04-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Welcome Dirtandhoops, it would appear that you are on the right track for success in adding outdoor lighting to your business. I also extend an invitation for PMs if you would like. You should also check into the educational opportunities provided by the AOLP.

Have an illuminating time,

starry night
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome Dirtandhoops, it would appear that you are on the right track for success in adding outdoor lighting to your business. I also extend an invitation for PMs if you would like. You should also check into the educational opportunities provided by the AOLP.

Have an illuminating time,

Thank you Mr. President :) Paul,

So happens about the same time you were posting, I was reading the latest issue of Lawn & Landscape magazine in which you were prominently quoted. I very much believe in professional associations and accreditation. I am a 26-year member of the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association, have served on its landscape contractor committee for 23-years, and am a Ohio Certified Landscape Technician - Master. So I am looking forward to an association with AOLP and eventual certification.
Thanks for the PM offer. I will probably take you up on that.

Phil

jlouki01
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I second the "other stuff" losing appeal quickly. :)