PDA

View Full Version : I hate pine straw!!

Danscapes
03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I have to hand it to you southern boys, you make the pine straw look good! I just did a 40 bale straw job today and it looks nothing like the pics I see on here. This customer is a annual job and loves the work I do, nice cut edges and properly pruned shrubs, etc. (she always says how great it looks when I finish) but I'm just unhappy with the results. I see pics of jobs were the pine straw is real nice and fluffy, and as hard as I try I just can't seem to get good results. I bust the bales up as you would a seed and straw job and shake it out but it always lays flat. I dunno:cry:...........................and no I don't have pics........I'm too embarrassed.:laugh:

KrayzKajun
03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I feel ya pain. I hate messin with pine straw. Ill stick with my mulch installs
Posted via Mobile Device

BlazerRidge
03-30-2011, 09:41 PM
I agree. I've only messed with pine straw a couple times because I'm a little farther north than where its really popular. Generally I don't even suggest it to my customers unless they specifically ask for it.

knox gsl
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
It will settle and look better soon, just takes time.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
03-30-2011, 11:08 PM
We're installing 150bales, Friday.

I'm not a huge fan, either. But, I have a group of teens who are good with them.

PerfectEarth
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
I love doing pinestraw- BUT a big part of it is the quality of the bales. If you get a load that has really tight packed bales that have been sitting for a while, they are a pain to spread...might take 4 or 5x longer to do one bale and spread it nicely.

A nice, dry, loose, clean bale can go down FAST- those are obviously the ones you want. Sometimes you don't have a choice tho... If i'm in the trailer picking up 20 or 30 bales for a job, I make a point to pick the bales on TOP of the stacks- they are less packed and tend to be more loose. ...sounds crazy but I think it saves time.

slawn
03-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Make sure you use long red straw, the short slash straw looks like crap no matter what you do. Put it down thick and tuck and roll the edges.

rowdiestang
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Just like Slawn said, only use long needle straw, over lap the edges and use a blower to tuck it back under. It gives it a real thick look. Don't use short needle, it always takes way more bales to do the job and looks like crap. Slash will work but is not as good as the long needle

Casey'sLM
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
I love pine straw! I prefer it over mulch. The best way to make it look good is to roll the edges. Hey rowdie, nice too see another guy from the Augusta/Grovetown area. Whats your company name?

rowdiestang
04-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Augusta Grounds Inc.

Casey'sLM
04-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Cool man, hope to see you around.

steel05
04-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I too love pine straw! After working at a golf course in South Carolina for three years and going through two semi's a year. I love the stuff. Once you get the hang of it, it goes down nice. I really don't get to work with it that often here in ohio. Thanks for bringing back those memories, don't forget to tuck those edges.

Will P.C.
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
The key to getting that nice and fluffy look is the blower. Spread the straw about 2 feet over the intended stopping point. You then take the blower and blow the excess straw very lightly to tuck it back under. Some guys will then go around with a shovel and tuck it in. This looks great after your done.

The problem is after about a month, it doesn't look so hot. I do my house twice a year (35 bales). Once or twice I will get 10-15 bales just to freshen things up. I am in Georgia and pine straw is pretty much the standard over mulch

steel05
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM
your so right! that's why we'd go through 2 truck loads once you finished a month later You would have to start all over again.

PremierT&L
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Pine straw is the only thing I sub out. Down here in GA there are guys that will sell it to you spread, and blown for $3.25 to $3.50 a bale if you buy enough from them. We do a few thousand bales a year.