PDA

View Full Version : Seeding

just cuts lawn care
03-30-2011, 09:36 PM
hey everyone after all the great advice on my last thread I figured id ask another question when is the best time to strat laying grass seed probably bahia or saint augustine I am putting down milorganite prior to but not sure when to start seeding thanks Just Cut Lawn Care INC

Landscape Poet
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
hey everyone after all the great advice on my last thread I figured id ask another question when is the best time to strat laying grass seed probably bahia or saint augustine I am putting down milorganite prior to but not sure when to start seeding thanks Just Cut Lawn Care INC

There is not a Saint Augustine seed that has a germination rate that makes it viable down here. The soil temps are correct for Bahia if you would like to seed that, my suggestion would be argentine not pensacola for the home lawn.

Johnagain
03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
The nights are still to cool to germinate the seed quickly. I have told all my seeding customers the earliest I will plant seed would be in May. The weeds will germinate faster than the grass seed at this time of year.

Patriot Services
03-31-2011, 07:52 AM
What conditions are you seeding in? Bahia won't take any shade. You might want to try Bermuda (common) seed. Easy to grow, repair, has high wear tolerance. Very economical. Hold the Milorganite. Seed and top dress with compost (black cow). Overseed with annual rye in fall for longer green season. Be prepared for twice a week mowing in the summer. Use a mulching mower, no discharge or you will have it in every bed.
Posted via Mobile Device