PDA

View Full Version : Need help with hand tools

hostolawnservice
03-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm new to the business, mainly mowing. However a couple of the older customers of mine are requesting me to refresh the mulch in the landscape beds. I have some old cheap hand tools, but I'm thinking of investing in some better quality tools. I'm hoping that some of the seasoned landscape professionals on this site can point me in the right direction as far as quality tools. When I say hand tools I am talking about wheel barrows, shovels, rakes-i.e.. I have been looking at Jackson and Rigid. But have also seen Ames. I guess what I am looking for is a good brand of commercial grade tools. Any help is greatly appreciated and Thank You.

PerfectEarth
03-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Razorback
Wolverine
Midwest Rake Company
Corona rakes
Felco pruners
Kenyon tools
Union tools

Stay away from the crappy HD tool section. Places like John Deere Landscapes and larger rental yards that have supplies in their "showrooms" carry nicer tools.

scagrider22
03-31-2011, 03:15 AM
Razorback
Wolverine
Midwest Rake Company
Corona rakes
Felco pruners
Kenyon tools
Union tools

Stay away from the crappy HD tool section. Places like John Deere Landscapes and larger rental yards that have supplies in their "showrooms" carry nicer tools.

Most of the tools you named are sold at HD. :drinkup:

To the OP, if your a small company I would use craftsmen, you can exchange any craftsmen brand hand tool if you break it, you dont even need the receipt. If you have employees I would buy a higher quality tool. I buy some of my hand tools from A.M. Leonard.

93Chevy
03-31-2011, 06:37 AM
AM Leonard have some of the best tools. You pay for them, but if you use them yourself, they should last you dang near forever.

Lucasdad
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
You can also buy kobalt hand tools from lowes and they have a lifetime warranty with no receipt required and much easier to find locations than a sears.
Posted via Mobile Device

hostolawnservice
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the input. As I said earlier, I am not trying to get into the landscaping side of the business but rather just help a couple of my older clients out. I like the idea of the lifetime warranty, especially since they won't be used all that much. Thanks again.

SouthSide Cutter
03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Just got my first AM Leonard catalog for some reason. And its hard to find tools that wont break. Just looked at some yesterday at a store and I coundnt believe the chitty craftsmanship on the tools and it was in the casting. I don't mind paying 50 bucks for a good shovel if it will last me for a long time. Just really hate cheap tools. And the Kobalt chit you can have it. My wife bought me some for Christmas and I don't care if it is war. for life they are chit compared to the SnapOn and Mac and some others.
Going to order from A.M. on some items.

hostolawnservice
03-31-2011, 10:59 PM
I agree, I haven't been real impressed with the Kobalt brand of tools. All of the hand tools that I have in my toolbox are Craftsman mainly because of the warranty. I would love to own SnapOn or Mac, but can't justify the cost for home use. I have all Ryobi power tools like the 18v stuff. I would like to have DeWalt someday, but for now the Ryobi works fine. I'm just saying that I would love to have all professional grade tools (for the house) but for now I'm gonna have to make do with Craftsman and Ryobi.

However when it comes to business equipment I want professional grade tools. But I think I may check into the Craftsman tools for starters.

93Chevy
04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
I don't think it makes any sense to buy a cheap tool, then later upgrade to a better tool. Just but the right tool the first time. If it means saving up another couple weeks, you'll be much happier with a better tool.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I agree with am leonard, i have two of there spades and have had them for 12 years. As far as wheel barrel go to home depot or lowes and buy the true temper for 89.99

Leo the Landscaper
04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Agree with all who suggested A.M. Leonard! I can place an order at 10AM and if its instock it is on my dock by noon the next day!

Florida Gardener
04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
If you want to be in this business, get the appropriate tools and present yourself as a pro.

IMO, get the basics:
Hand snips
Loppers
Hand Saws
Wheelbarrow
Shovels
Rakes
etc.

Stay away from HD on everything except wheelbarrows. I got a sweet Jackson WB from there for $130.

I think hand snips def. go with Felco
Loppers, there are a lot of brands and im sure it comes down to preference. The best I have used so far that I personally liked were Corona. I have Felco and Hickock.
Hand Saws, Silky, hands down. They are the best in the market.

bobcat48
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
For me i too dont do much landscaping,just mulch installs and rock here and there and just general around my house i like ames for rakes and shovels,same with craftsman and ridgid and mattocks i like ludell,pruners and loppers etc..fiskars and corona..goodluck man.

the ace
04-08-2011, 10:31 AM
If you want to be in this business, get the appropriate tools and present yourself as a pro.

IMO, get the basics:
Hand snips
Loppers
Hand Saws
Wheelbarrow
Shovels
Rakes
etc.

Stay away from HD on everything except wheelbarrows. I got a sweet Jackson WB from there for $130.

I think hand snips def. go with Felco
Loppers, there are a lot of brands and im sure it comes down to preference. The best I have used so far that I personally liked were Corona. I have Felco and Hickock.
Hand Saws, Silky, hands down. They are the best in the market.

Love the Corona pruners, just make sure you're buying their professional and not homeowner brands. Liked the Felco also, either or I would suggest purchasing.

LewisLawn
04-08-2011, 01:26 PM
before you purchase think about who is going to use them and who will be taking care of them...do you want to invest the extra money on a rake that is left behind on the job or a shovel that dulls out and gets rusty because someone left it out in the elements....then think about the comfort of the tool how does it fit you and your hand etc....if you are only doing occasional work the time saved with a superior product may not outweigh the expense based on the number of times used...if you are simply sprucing up some mulch beds don't think that it is necessary to go all out with every tool...if it is simply mulch plastic leaf rake and scoop shovel and wheelbarrow will do, however, if you are looking at other aspects like pruning and trimming shrubs make sure you know what you are doing before you get involved improper trimming pruning can cause disease and poor growth if not done correctly....if you need the tool to get the job done buy what you can afford...if you turn a profit spend accordingly same rules apply with all equipment

Florida Gardener
04-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Love the Corona pruners, just make sure you're buying their professional and not homeowner brands. Liked the Felco also, either or I would suggest purchasing.

Yes I am talking about professional line, not the home crappo junk.
Posted via Mobile Device