PDA

View Full Version : need recommendations

A1 Grass
09-25-2002, 11:19 PM
I like the honest answers and the "willingness to help" on this forum.

I have been helping a friend in his lawncare business for a couple of years now and have a chance to "partner up" (in a way) if I buy some equipment. I have read all of the "bare necessities" letters and I agree to the extent that I am happy to buy the minimum as long as it is highest quality. I am very good with upkeep and maintenance and plan on using my old Dodge truck to work with.

I am planning on concentrating on smaller residential accounts and also offering "chore" services in addition. I would really like to hear about some of the following things. I would also really like to directly exchange opinions with anyone who wouldn't mind me contacting them directly. Thanks, and here goes...

Smaller yards - 36" walk-behind - velke - rider??? - 40"... what size is the best AND fits through most gates? Brand names please!

Good reliable brands for Leaf Blowers, Weed Trimmers, etc?

Any Texas folks with rate suggestions? Specifically San Antonio and Austin..

Who makes RELIABLE equipment? Something that I can service myself.

Thanks! I'll have LOTS more questions!

captdevo
09-26-2002, 12:09 AM
CWA ...... Welcome Aboard!!

you've come to the right place, actually the best place on the web for info!

In the top right corner is Lawnsite's search feature, click that and enter anything that comes to mind.

i'm sure you'll have days of reading helpful, insightful information.

out of our 8000+ members from all around the globe, topics like:

mowers, blowers and trimmers have been discussed thru and thru.

Good Luck,
Dave

65hoss
09-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Have you search thru the info here on partnerships? Maybe you should read all the info here on that subject before you go buying equipment to get in with someone else. Lots of horror stories. Picking out equipment and using it is the easy part of this business, making good business decisions is the real challenge and struggle.

awm
09-26-2002, 06:57 AM
one of u gonna have to be the boss. that be the one with the most savy and money power. glad u got a good friend .
but this aint a formula ,for good friendships ,even if u gona be a silent partner.
it can still wk tho. good luck.
oh yea ,to your question. stihl ,echo ,
exmark, and other companies put out good WORK ALL DAY EVERY DAY ,equipment. u rite to go that way.

A1 Grass
09-26-2002, 05:08 PM
Ok, I am not looking so much for advice on partnerships (since I am not really going into a partnership per se').

I am looking for basic info on solid brand names, or ones to avoid. Also info like buy at least 36" blade... etc.

Thanks though.

65hoss
09-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Ok, eXmark!! I've been running all eXmark since 2000. The mowers are awesome. The cut is Lazer sharp.:D They are also members of lawnsite so you can discuss anything with them at anytime.

I run Stihl trimmers, stick edger, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, and a BR400 backpack blower. But I also have a Redmax eb7000 blower. Its a much more powerful blower than the Stihl. The br400 hardly ever gets off the trailer.

BLL
09-26-2002, 07:13 PM
Ok here is your answer if you have a lesco dealer nearby go talk to them right now they got mowers for nothign and they are very good abo tservice and parts availibilty is awesome at teh dealers. If not go exmark. Def more expensive then lesco but a awesome mower. Word of advice if yo are in small yeards get a hydro more money but much worth it. 36' is good caus eyou can get in any gate. If its a bgger gate 48'' is good. You will be surprised in how much more you can get done with a 48 hydro.
As for 2 cycle i gota echo trimmer and it has been a great tool got astihl br 400 blower and it does what it has to if money is not an issue get the redmak cause it will blow everythig else away. Stihl stuf fis top notch redmax blowers are the best and you can go wrong with anythig echo. Igf you got any more quetions email me.

A1 Grass
09-26-2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks to the last few... EXACTLY the type of info I need!

Q2 - Why is hydro better than belt drive?