PDA

View Full Version : What would you charge?

Matt Hermann
03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
If you had to go out and estimate a mulch job (physically measure each bed to see how much mulch to get, or however you measure it, and say it came to 42 yards.)

How much would you charge the customer, I know everybodys price will be diffrrent because of the different areas, but I'd like to know what everyone would be at if you dont mind me asking.

So, It's a 42 yard job, every bed needs to be edged. Some leaves in the beds, not many, a few sticks here and there, but overall not too bad on the prepping time except for hand/machine edging every bed.

What would you estimate to the guy be?

Also, say the price of mulch around here is average $30yd black dye. But there is one place that gets it at $26 a yard, would you not mark it up since it's a big job? Or mark it up to the regular 30$ a yard price

Thanks for all the help!
Matt

vencops
03-31-2011, 07:40 AM
I'm kinda new at this, too (LCO work....not estimating projects). When in doubt, you can always estimate your time (in the end, it comes down to this, anyway) and multiply that / hrly rate.

I've seen guys say they use a set $$/CY mulch. That's wonderful, if that works for them. I'll probably get to the point where I do that, in the future. Using that method, you're still a slave to how long (____CY) takes to install, though. Miss your time estimate in either scenario, and you're losing money (based on your estimate).

I'm not trying to tell you the absolute "right" way to do your estimate. I'm just telling you what I'd do. When in doubt, use est. time/hrly rate.

Good luck.

yardatwork
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Without knowing how many linear feet there are to edge...can't give you a rough price. Also...is it new edging or refining the edge? If it's a new edge with a spade shovel...charge around $1.00 per foot. If you're using a stick edger to touch up an existing edge...maybe go as low as $.50 a foot.

As for the mulch...who will be delivering it...you or the mulch company? If you are, how many yards per trip will it take you and how far is the drive? Also...ask around...at that amount, you can probably get a mulch dealer to deliver the mulch at a bulk rate for about $14/yard. Then it's up to you with charging...you'd probably land the job just from the amount you'd save them vs. others having to buy from the landscape supply yard. Lastly...I get $50 to $65 per each yard of mulch I spread labor + the price per yard of mulch.

Matt Hermann
03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
I'll be ordering the mulch from a local supplier and they will be delivering it to my coustmers house, with a delivering fee of 35$ every 23 yards
Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Matt,
You need to shop around if you are ordering that much mulch you need to get it at the same place your supplier is unless they are grinding and dyeing on site. I know things are more up north but if they are selling it for $30 that means they are getting it landed on their yard for about 15-18. But other issue is can a tractor trailer get in the site. A lot of times I can work it out to have 90 yards dropped at my shop for $18 per including delivery then haul it 10 yds at a time in my dump truck, and I can split a load for several jobs.As what to charge if I had to wheel barrow it $65 per yard plus clean up and edging

Matt Hermann
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
The thing is I don't have a shop so I can't have a ton dropped at my house, whenever I order mulch I need to get it dropped off where I am working. And how you said to see where the nursery is getting the mulch, how do I find that out, or does anyone know where to get a decent price on mulch in south jersey? also, a quick question would be: I measured out every single bed where mulch would be put down, and it came to x sqft. I used the equation for every yard at a 2" depth, you get like 160sqft of coverage or something like that. That was what I used to calculate the amount of cubic yards that I needed to get. Was that correct? What do you guys use to calculate how many yards to get? Thanks for all the help!
Posted via Mobile Device

Matt Hermann
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
anyone else?

Southern Elegance
04-01-2011, 05:07 AM
id b around 4k

simps21
04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

simps21
04-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I would be around 4000 also
Posted via Mobile Device

cookslandscaping18
04-03-2011, 03:39 PM
4000 sounds a little steep to me but it all depends on if the property is steep or if its pretty flat the distance between the mulch pile and beds. I could do a project like that for about 2500 but my guys could get it done in one day too and i get mulch alot cheaper then that also so it all depends on your expenses to what you want to make off that job.

starry night
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
If I had never estimated a mulch job or if I had never done a mulch job, I would not start with one of this size. But that's just me... Careful Carl.

phillie
04-04-2011, 02:58 AM
I'd be at about 3k+edging.

mike174
04-12-2011, 02:11 AM
If you had to go out and estimate a mulch job (physically measure each bed to see how much mulch to get, or however you measure it, and say it came to 42 yards.)

How much would you charge the customer, I know everybodys price will be diffrrent because of the different areas, but I'd like to know what everyone would be at if you dont mind me asking.

So, It's a 42 yard job, every bed needs to be edged. Some leaves in the beds, not many, a few sticks here and there, but overall not too bad on the prepping time except for hand/machine edging every bed.

What would you estimate to the guy be?

Also, say the price of mulch around here is average $30yd black dye. But there is one place that gets it at $26 a yard, would you not mark it up since it's a big job? Or mark it up to the regular 30$ a yard price

Thanks for all the help!
Matt

Around $5000.

But there are guys that will do it for $2500.

Depends on how bad you want the work.

mike174
04-12-2011, 02:23 AM
If you get $5k for the job, hire the guys to do it for $2500 and sit back on your a$$ and collect $2500 for coordinating the job:walking: Work smart not hard...but sometimes you have to do both.

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd charge right around 4200, maybe 4000 depends on how good of a customer they are. but that's me and my overhead is pretty small.