PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper

Darb
09-26-2002, 02:37 AM
I wanted to know the true scoop about Dixie Choppers. The sales people always tell you the positives, but I wanted info from the real world.
Thanks,
Darb

awm
09-26-2002, 07:09 AM
good thing u asked ,them things ,not worth a darn.:D :D :D .
just kidding ,no first hand experience.
but if u got good dealer support ,dixie has a good rep among the pros .
and a machine with a good rep among the pros ,is a good machine.
be sure and let the dealer know if u doing hilly terrain,as the word is the flat lander is more just that ,a flat terrain
mower. if they see this theres fellas here can help u more.just cuttin up..:)

TLS
09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Darb,

As a FORMER owner of a Dixie Chopper (over 3 seasons) I may be able to shed some light for you.

First off, they are just as good as other brand ZTR's. They are all basically the same. Its almost got a cult like following. Kinda a "Hey, lets stick up for this little Mom and Pop company". Believe me, I had Dixie Chopper in my blood! I even named my Cat "Dixie"!!! Soon after, I noticed other mowers that really improved themselves since I bought the DC, while DC really hadn't made any improvements.

Sure, they look neato, all business, with coolers and filters, and high top speeds, but underneath all the hype is a 1980's design in a 2003 era.

Like I said before, they are great mowers! There are only small differences here and there between the top 4 ZTR's. If your dealer is local, and competent, and really pushes a lot of DC's, then thats what I'd go for. On the other hand, if there's another dealer nearby and competent, and pushes a lot of Exmark Lazer Z's, then THATS what I'd go for :D

MikeLT1Z28
09-26-2002, 10:53 AM
no personal exp. here but if you do a search you will be reading till the '04's come out.

Darb
09-26-2002, 11:15 AM
What are the "top 4 ZTRs"? Or the top ZTRs if they can't be narrowed down? I figured they are (not in any order) Toro, Exmark, Scag (What a name!). This is where I make people angry by not putting their favorite down.

Darb

Likestomow
09-26-2002, 08:28 PM
Dixie Choppers are the most expensive --- I suggest that you find out why for yourself. You will find people here that put them down --- find out for yourself. Go try one, but do it AFTER you demo the other choices. If you are going to spend that much money you will no doubt want to test them all anyway.

P&J Lawncare
09-26-2002, 09:14 PM
The hustler super z should be on that list for sure and in my opinion it should be on the top of that list. Scag and toro are a notch below exmark and hustler.

Flex-Deck
09-26-2002, 09:51 PM
Here I go again - I will just say that the Dixie Chopper has a Factory available Flex-Deck. This gives you a 78" cut and on a ZTR, it makes inside corners and a lot of contour mowing a snap. They make one specifically for their mowers thru a license agreement with me - We now have a reverse agreement that allows me to mount decks that I make on other ZTR's.

http://Dixie

P&J Lawncare
09-26-2002, 10:00 PM
Flex-deck should have to pay us all for pain and suffering due to the constant views of LGF.

captdevo
09-26-2002, 10:06 PM
Likestomow
Dixie Choppers are the most expensive ......wrong!!! DynaMow and Lastecs are the most expensive, then Walkers......

Dixie is very competitive in pricing!!

Dixies are great machines, it'll be a personal preference decision....demo-demo-demo

there are a lot of great machines on the market today, and Dixie is in the top 5.....

good luck

awm
09-27-2002, 07:38 AM
hmm pretty little red thing on the front of the dixie. what is that:p :)

Buzz_2004
09-27-2002, 10:22 AM
I would highly recommend buying a Dixie. With my experience they have been very good machines and if for any reason you have any kind of a problem DC will stand behind there product and try there best to make things good. But the only way to really tell is to demo one for your self.

Good Luck :)

Hoosier Mower
09-27-2002, 01:54 PM
I have ran Dixies (currently), Snappers, Scags and Exmarks and of the group I'd highly prefer a Chopper any day. Of course like everyone else on here it's just my opinion but you can't go wrong with a Dixie. Another thing to figure into the equation is dealer support, go with the dealer that is going to be there for you when your machine goes down and puts you in a bind. Good luck.

Farmboy
09-27-2002, 02:23 PM
I do not know about dixie taking care of there machine! I beleve duncan has a thread on here about dixie trouble and to my knowledge they have not taken care of the problem yet.

Richard Martin
09-27-2002, 03:46 PM
He posted on the other forum that Dixie was replacing the mower ASAP.

Here is the quote from Duncan IN:

"I talked to DC today and they are going to take care of my problems. I was wondering for awhile if they were going to get back with me, but they wanted to be sure what they were going to do was the right thing. They are going to give me a new mower as soon as the next ones role off the factory line."

gorrell
09-27-2002, 03:49 PM
I've probably tried more commercial mowers that most have on this site. I've owned Scags, Buntons, Bobcats, Grasshoppers, Exmarks, and Hustlers. I now own 4 Dixie Choppers and 1 Hustler. These are now my mowers of choice and I'll probably be buying at least 1 if not 2 Dixie Choppers at the end of this season. My reason for making the switch to DC's is simple. Tremendous cut quality and excellent reliability. Lynn

hagen
09-27-2002, 05:35 PM
i bought a dixie chopper about three weeks ago i have a grasshopper. i demoed a exmark and it was alright but it wasnt a dixie chopper. the exmark husqavarna the john deere i looked at them and they are basically all the same moweri am not for sure about the hustler i havent ever seen one. the dixie isnt any thing like them. i would get a dixie

Flex-Deck
09-27-2002, 08:14 PM
"Flex-deck, what has to be done for your product to work on the 36 stander? Also dealer carries chopper and exmark, he had no idea that you put it on the 36 viking and 52 tt.(looked at me like i was nuts!) So i sent him to this page- will talk to him on friday when i pick up the stander. By the way he said the chopper guys love it(flex-deck), and don't want the word to get around." by Jimbo:

This is a quote from another thread and here is a pic from the Kansas City BBQ - With LGF and his cigarette - Says he can't mow without a cig in his mouth but at least you can see his head here

http://Dixie Flexed Up

TLS
09-27-2002, 08:16 PM
Hope this was a mistake!

Flex-Deck
09-27-2002, 08:22 PM
No - TLS - This is a Chopper Thread - Right? - Just mentioning Choppers do have the Flex-Deck: Also trying to get across the biggest problem the Flex-Deck has, and that is that the ones that own one do not want to tell anyone because they suddenly realize the advantage they have

Thanks, Brad

TLS
09-27-2002, 08:24 PM
And both are of LGF smokin' the cancer stick!

Flex-Deck
09-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Sorry TLS - didn't realize I did that - I know I post enough pics as it is, but dang - I finally learned how to do it, and have too much fun doing it.

Thanks, Brad

Duncan IN
10-06-2002, 10:34 PM
Duncan Here, Well Dixie gave me a new mower but guess what it only lasted for three hours. Thats right three hours I should have kept my old one it was just beginning to run better, it lasted for 40hrs and no problems. Although this new one does has some updates that I really like. Hydro coolers get more air to them, Problems with the muffler should be taken care of. and they had some fan blades that they put on top of the spindles to keep grass of the deck. They work really good too, so I am going to get them for my other mowers.... In the morning I am heading back to my dealer to get my new mower fixed, I believe it is a carb problem.

lgi
10-06-2002, 11:43 PM
i just think dc dont mow as good as the others.I like great danes