PDA

View Full Version : any opinion on the Echo split boom attachment that cultivates/tills??

GarPA
09-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Often I do small bed work and add compost, mushroom soil etc and I dont always need a tiller...was thinking about adding the Echo attachment (dont know what its called...I guess a mini tiller thingy ..dah)...to my split boom toy inventory...not sure these would have the cajones to do much more than mix up already loose soil....I do need it to till the ground at least a little bit after I sod strip...any opinions?? thanks

65hoss
09-26-2002, 06:48 AM
Do you already have the echo split? If so then yes it will do a good job in beds and light work.

I bought a new little honda this summer. Sure is nice to pick it up and set it in places. They do a really nice job for bed work.

GarPA
09-26-2002, 07:09 AM
yes Eric I have the split already with a couple attachments...I love that set up...very efficient and cost effective...just so I'm clear...so you think this thing will have the guts to at least rough up a few inches after I sod strip? you know how compacted the ground is when you take sod off...thanks

65hoss
09-26-2002, 07:17 AM
How big an area are you talking about? I wouldn't want to strip a lot of sf'age and do it with that. But small places would probably be ok. I was surprised at the job the little honda does. A friend of mine that owns a spray company has borrowed mine several times to replace sod with. And its worked like a charm.

GarPA
09-26-2002, 07:21 AM
I do alot of work at town homes so the beds are often like 20 by 20...and a few of them..too small for a tiller...but these things might be perfect...Mantis makes a nice tool...but since I already have the engine...might as well just buy the attachment...appreciate the point of view...

keifer
09-26-2002, 07:36 AM
If most of your beds are 20 by 20 i would go with the mantis. It will move faster and the tiller atch is about $180 the mantis is about $275. I have a split shindawa and if you can hold it will dig up hard ground. The tines turn where the unit pushes to you.

HBFOXJr
09-26-2002, 10:13 AM
I own one and it is perfect for those little jobs. I also bought the spring tine power rake attachement for seed work in those difficult areas like around mailboxes, air conditioners, inside corners, tree root areas etc.