PDA

View Full Version : Aerate and then slit seed or slit seed the aerate

TriageLawn
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM
I know we have different methods of doing things but i am just curious as to how you guys prepare to seed an existing lawn. Here are the components...

Bare Spots
Bermuda
thin Grass
no pets

How would you treat this lawn? Besides the obvious of collecting soil samples and cutting the grass low before aerating or slit seeding. How woud you prepare the lawn? Would you?

Slit seed first, broadcast seed, aerate, broadcast seed again
Aerate, broadcast see, slit seed, broadcast seed

What is your method and why? I did Aerate, broadcast seed, slit seed and broadcast again. I had incredible results and the yard was beautiful. I have to also thank the customers because they stayed on a strict water schedule and the yard was great. The extra rain we got that year also helped.

How would you guys do it?

LoweJ82
03-31-2011, 02:49 PM
de thatch, aerate, slit seed

wrager
03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Bermuda very warm (moist) soil for seeds to germinate. Still too early in GA. I would wait until late May or early June.

Darryl G
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I dethatch if necessary, aerate and then slit seed. I don't broadcast at all unless I'm just aerating and then overseeding.

I don't understand why you'd slit seed and then broadcast. When I slit seed I put the seed in the seeder hopper so there is no need to broadcast.:confused:

TriageLawn
03-31-2011, 04:10 PM
I guess that was my rookie mistake but it worked wonders
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
04-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Aeration is not for seedbed preparation...

Darryl G
04-01-2011, 11:47 AM

I've done it before. Nothing wrong with overseeding after aeration. It helps. And I have used an aerator to loosen a totally bare area before..rip it up and then give it a quick hand rake before broadcasting. But yes, usually it's more of a maintenance thing than for renovation.

Smallaxe
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I've done it before. Nothing wrong with overseeding after aeration. It helps. And I have used an aerator to loosen a totally bare area before..rip it up and then give it a quick hand rake before broadcasting. But yes, usually it's more of a maintenance thing than for renovation.

In your 'bare areas'...

How did the seed come up? Lush, thick and full?

or

Like hair on a plastic doll head?...

Seedbed Preparation is uniformly loosened loamy soil that allows root penetration of every germinating seed that opens up in a moisture retaining environment... :)

Darryl G
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
It came up really well...not the baby doll hair look. I'm talking dry bare soil. Ran it over several times with a 48 inch tow behind aerator so it was bascially like it was shallow tilled and then just gave it a quick rake out. I'll be glad to take some pictures of it for you if you want. :p

Lets face it, different things work in different situations. You have to be able to recognize what works and what doesn't and not be afraid to experiment a little.

Smallaxe
04-02-2011, 08:45 AM
It came up really well...not the baby doll hair look. I'm talking dry bare soil. Ran it over several times with a 48 inch tow behind aerator so it was bascially like it was shallow tilled and then just gave it a quick rake out. I'll be glad to take some pictures of it for you if you want. :p

Lets face it, different things work in different situations. You have to be able to recognize what works and what doesn't and not be afraid to experiment a little.

Are you talking about a 'plugger' aerator or the thing that you pull around and it pokes holes in the ground??

Darryl G
04-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Classen 48 inch tow behind core aerator behind my Lazer. http://classenturfcare.com/cl-aerators_tow_behind.asp

Smallaxe
04-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Classen 48 inch tow behind core aerator behind my Lazer. http://classenturfcare.com/cl-aerators_tow_behind.asp

Seems like a lot of machine for overseeding a few bare spots, but I can see if the lawn is quite thin over all and compacted... This would be a good way to till without really tilling, especially with 4 passes or so...

So I agree, there may very well be conditions in which the right machine for seedbed preparation could be an aerator... :)

Without the compaction problem though, I think that slit seeding would be adequate, neater and quicker...

bigslick7878
04-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Uhh yes it is.

Maybe one day you will figure that out.

Darryl G
04-03-2011, 07:26 PM
Seems like a lot of machine for overseeding a few bare spots, but I can see if the lawn is quite thin over all and compacted... This would be a good way to till without really tilling, especially with 4 passes or so...

So I agree, there may very well be conditions in which the right machine for seedbed preparation could be an aerator... :)

Without the compaction problem though, I think that slit seeding would be adequate, neater and quicker...

Glad we're reaching some sort of agreement here, lol.

As I stated earlier, it was a totally bare spot, not a few bare spots...probably 1000+ square feet. It's kind of silty soil and it was totally bare from drought. And yes it was compacted. The customer has tried several times to seed it themselves and it never makes it.

The deal was that I was doing a whole lawn renovation. Some areas weren't bad, just a bit thin and compacted, so those were just aerated and broadcast seeded. Other areas were aerated and slit seeded. The one barren back yard area got tilled up so nice with the aerator that I just decided to to broadcast seed it rather than slit seed it.

Smallaxe
04-04-2011, 07:04 AM
I know we have different methods of doing things but i am just curious as to how you guys prepare to seed an existing lawn. Here are the components...

Bare Spots
Bermuda
thin Grass
no pets

How would you treat this lawn? Besides the obvious of collecting soil samples and cutting the grass low before aerating or slit seeding. How woud you prepare the lawn? Would you?

Slit seed first, broadcast seed, aerate, broadcast seed again
Aerate, broadcast see, slit seed, broadcast seed

What is your method and why? I did Aerate, broadcast seed, slit seed and broadcast again. I had incredible results and the yard was beautiful. I have to also thank the customers because they stayed on a strict water schedule and the yard was great. The extra rain we got that year also helped.

How would you guys do it?

Uhh yes it is.

Maybe one day you will figure that out.

Hey slick,

If you noticed in the OP the yard that we were initially discussing '...had incredible results and the yard was beautiful.'
My discussion was: why the overkill?

Try to keep up... :)

Smallaxe
04-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Glad we're reaching some sort of agreement here, lol.

As I stated earlier, it was a totally bare spot, not a few bare spots...probably 1000+ square feet. It's kind of silty soil and it was totally bare from drought. And yes it was compacted. The customer has tried several times to seed it themselves and it never makes it.

The deal was that I was doing a whole lawn renovation. Some areas weren't bad, just a bit thin and compacted, so those were just aerated and broadcast seeded. Other areas were aerated and slit seeded. The one barren back yard area got tilled up so nice with the aerator that I just decided to to broadcast seed it rather than slit seed it.

Good job...

That large silty area, that died in the drought... If that is a 'low spot' in the yard and this happens again, it may be helpful to actually till in some ammendments rich in OM to increase perculation and water retention...

You probably already knew that... :)

Patriot Services
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Bermuda will do fine with a topdress of compost, peat or topsoil. Seed with a dropspreader unless you like Bermuda everywhere. 3lbs per thousand gently rake to cover. Water to keep moist. The Scotts coated actually does a decent job of retaining moisture. That and heat will result in rapid germination.
Posted via Mobile Device