PDA

View Full Version : sod estimate, need help

StBalor
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
never layed sod before nor ever intended to. but work is starting out slow this year and have a chance to bid on a 1224 sq ft lawn.
lawn will need to be ripped up, spread 1.5 yrds topsoil (per customers request) spread lyme, starter fert and sod.

I have used the search button a bit but cannot really find a firm price per sq. ft. on spreading sod.

lyme - 18.00
Starter fert - 30.00
topsoil - 45.00
Sod 420.00

i read through my searches that people tend to get anywhere between .75 to 1.25 per sq. ft.
and that this includes all prep and materials.
so if i went with the high end at 1.25 per sq. ft that would be roughly 1530.00
i have 2 others that work for me and am figuring 6 hours of work. will use a tiller, then rake out grass and clumps work in topsoil, lyme and fert then lay sod.
please let me know any y thoughts on this and let me know if my pricing is right. thanks.

Barrett Landscaping
03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
rent a sod cutter. job should take 4 hours with 3 guys total if you have all materials onsite.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Sod cutter would make the job much quicker we get 1.00 per foot on prepared surface to prep we charge sep.
Posted via Mobile Device

memphis.landscape
03-31-2011, 10:00 PM
Agreed with the sod cutter, using a tiller is just adding more work. I typically charge $200 for labor per pallet. Not including extra soil. Me and one guy have laid 14 pallets in one day on top of taking the existing sod up. Typically when you get the sod cutter it will be set to cut 1.5in. I usually do it on .5-.75in. It makes cleanup 100x easier.

memphis.landscape
03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
ps it helps if you can get the delivery driver to put the pallets right where you need them, that way you can just trow it off the stack insted of carting around a wheelbarrow

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
bout to start my first sod job tomorrow, 2 pallets of sod, have to rip up existing lawn, plan to rent sod cutter which is going to cost me $80 with $300 deposit. I am still waiting on results from soil sample before i do the install. Did you get a soil sample taken?

StBalor
04-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Did not do a soil sample, home owner did not want to spend anything up front. told me my estimate was 1 of 3 that they were getting.
after i gave them a price for the sodding they then emailed me the next morning asking me estimate for just seeding. Told me they needed it in 3 hours. I have not replied yet, but gonna make the estimate on the high side.
They are starting to sound like pitas so i am gonna charge them well cause i think i am starting to see a headache coming on.

I do thank everyone for their input.

StBalor
04-02-2011, 05:14 PM
bout to start my first sod job tomorrow, 2 pallets of sod, have to rip up existing lawn, plan to rent sod cutter which is going to cost me $80 with $300 deposit. I am still waiting on results from soil sample before i do the install. Did you get a soil sample taken?

How many sq. Feet was the job and how did you price it? By the sq. Ft.? or labor and materials.

And if you do not mind would you share what you bidded the job at? just trying to get a feel for the bidding process on sod.

Pm it to me if you like.

GrandMaster
04-02-2011, 11:15 PM
never layed sod before nor ever intended to. but work is starting out slow this year and have a chance to bid on a 1224 sq ft lawn.
lawn will need to be ripped up, spread 1.5 yrds topsoil (per customers request) spread lyme, starter fert and sod.

I have used the search button a bit but cannot really find a firm price per sq. ft. on spreading sod.

lyme - 18.00
Starter fert - 30.00
topsoil - 45.00
Sod 420.00

i read through my searches that people tend to get anywhere between .75 to 1.25 per sq. ft.
and that this includes all prep and materials.
so if i went with the high end at 1.25 per sq. ft that would be roughly 1530.00
i have 2 others that work for me and am figuring 6 hours of work. will use a tiller, then rake out grass and clumps work in topsoil, lyme and fert then lay sod.
please let me know any y thoughts on this and let me know if my pricing is right. thanks.

WOW if you can sell that take it!
Sod is .26 a ft for hybrid KGB here
labor for 1500 sqft to cut spread top soil and sod would be around 10 hrs total time is all.