PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound to you folk's????

Get Some...
04-01-2011, 01:08 AM
I just took a job to weed, edge, clean up, cut all pumas grass, pull out all annual decorative grass/plant's and mulch bed's.
We will also mow the lawn area's short to clean up debris.

They have ten full pallet's of mulch on site, plus the homeowner has Kawasaki mule, trailer's, loader, trimmer's, hedge trimmer, walk behind edger, ect...
Plus a really sweet JD zero turn with a bagging system.
The inside of their one outbuilding looked like a LCO's shop....

I will use only my hand tool's and provide a helper, it's alot of big bed's and solo tree's.
Husband and wife alway's did it themselve's with some Mexican labor, but he has developed cancer and is not up to it right now....the husband does not think he will be around next year and want's to get someone who can do it for a few year's until the real estate market pick's back up again and the wife can sell...

I agreed to give them fifty hour's next week for me and a helper, 100 total.
I will make $40.00 an hour after payroll.
Operating expense is normal for the week, but no wear and tear on my equipment.
Ten mile's one way to job site.

Not the best profit, but I believe it will be overall a good experiance.

It's a good opportunity for me to take before and after pic's of some very well done bed's/landscaping. With this being my first year in lawn care I could not pass it up, good experiance and a good referance....homeowner own's a good sized electrical contracting buisness.

The way job's have been coming in I should have the following week booked up at with job's that provide better profit's, and if both the homeowner and I are both happy after the week's work is up I have until May tenth to finish, on my own timetable.

I do not believe they were about to spend any more than that...in fact the wife thought it was more than they could afford, but we had already visited for an hour or so and had a very good rapore, and I pointed out that the good communication between us and my great work ethic would make a good combination and they would be very happy with the end result.

What do you folk's think?

J.R. Services
04-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Sounds like a fair price for labor only
Posted via Mobile Device

Get Some...
04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Sounds like a fair price for labor only
Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I thought, but the customer is really getting two people for the price of one.

White Gardens
04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Ya, still a bit cheap on one hand. If they are getting a 2 for one deal on labor. I would have cut one of the laborers in half and full price on one.

On the other hand, you probably did OK if it's a lot of work and a lot of time. You'll be more profitable being in one place for the day and not running from job to job. It sounds like work that some guy on the side could do for them, and probably on the cheap.

My only thing that I would advise is if you are using their equipment, you are paying the taxes and not the homeowner, then I would talk to your insurance agent for some extra coverage in case you break one of their pieces of equipment.

Now, if you are on the Home-owners payroll, and you are technically an employee, then you should be OK on liability as it should fall on them. Just make sure they are doing payroll taxes correctly so the IRS can't come back and bite you in the but.

Get Some...
04-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Ya, still a bit cheap on one hand. If they are getting a 2 for one deal on labor. I would have cut one of the laborers in half and full price on one.

On the other hand, you probably did OK if it's a lot of work and a lot of time. You'll be more profitable being in one place for the day and not running from job to job. It sounds like work that some guy on the side could do for them, and probably on the cheap.

My only thing that I would advise is if you are using their equipment, you are paying the taxes and not the homeowner, then I would talk to your insurance agent for some extra coverage in case you break one of their pieces of equipment.

Now, if you are on the Home-owners payroll, and you are technically an employee, then you should be OK on liability as it should fall on them. Just make sure they are doing payroll taxes correctly so the IRS can't come back and bite you in the but.

Good advice, it is appreciated.
I enjoyed your bed edging pic's, and am looking into a tiller head for my stihl trimmer.....any advice on that.
Thank's in advance and have a good day.

White Gardens
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Good advice, it is appreciated.
I enjoyed your bed edging pic's, and am looking into a tiller head for my stihl trimmer.....any advice on that.
Thank's in advance and have a good day.

No, nothing special. Just use it and abuse it. The only thing I would watch out for is the bearings in the head. The bearings went out on mine. I check them this year for the first time in 5 years and probably should have check them after the first year of use. If I hadn't checked them this year, I probably would have killed it if the worm gear got cocked in the wrong direction.

The shaft bearings looked good though with no noticeable play, but those move slower than the worm gear bearings in the head, and the seals were still intact.

I ended up replacing them with an SKS bearing. They are a common size, so a dealer part isn't necessarily needed.

My favorite use for the tiller head is when I'm tearing out old rock beds. Go slow and the tiller will pull and pile up the rocks without trying to break them free with a garden rake.