PDA

View Full Version : iphone vs blackberry

grassmasterswilson
04-01-2011, 07:59 AM
not a mowing topic, but wanted everyone's opinion about what phones they were using. I currently have a blackberry and love it, but have considered the iphone. So what do you guys have and what features do you get the most out of in our field of work? Apps?

Baytownlawncare
04-01-2011, 08:07 AM
I use a android. Use the square app to charge customers. Got paid by a guy who wanted his rental property mowed here in town but he lives in Florida. Works well for me. I am slowing transitioning to credit or debit card only transactions. Dealing with cash and checks stinks in my opinion. Going to by a ipad when they get some more in and use it for my service agreements and try to go as paperless as possible.

coolluv
04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm in the market for a new phone and I will be upgrading at the end of this month. I always just wanted a regular good working phone, one that I can hear clear on and sound clear on. I'm now looking at getting a BlackBerry phone. Ive looked at all of the different phones out there and they are cool. But from the reviews I read what seems to be a common problem is, the phones are great at texting and web, but when it comes down to working good as an actual phone, well that's when the trouble starts.

I'm not the type to text or surf the web on a phone, I can see how that can be useful, but I need a phone to work as a phone, one that is clear. My brother in law has the I Phone and although its a neat phone with all the bells and whistles, you can't hear him worth a crap and he can't hear you most times, and he drops calls all the time. He lives in Miami not Bum F*&^, so he should get great reception.

If you read the reviews you will find out that most of the smart phones are weak and flimsy and are easily broken, have poor phone quality, are buggy, meaning they freeze up and the apps don't work properly. SOOOOOOOOOO what good is a phone that has those type problems? Now from what I read about the BlackBerry is, the phone call quality is excellent, the antenna is strong so very few if any dropped calls. People can actually hear you when talking and you can hear them, they are durable and they function very well.

So in my opinion from reading hundreds of reviews on different websites, I would say if you have the need for a good phone that you can hear people on and they can hear you on, and you need a phone that is durable and has good reception etc, then the BlackBerry is the way to go, especially for business.

Now if you want to look cool, have a large screen for surfing the web and sound quality or call quality is not as important as text and email and surfing the web, then I'm sure the I phone or some other smart phone will work.

This is my opinion and I have nothing to back this up other than reviews that I have read and personal experience with my BIL I Phone.

Needless to say I'm looking at a BlackBerry Bold 9780 for me.

Dave...

nobagger
04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I use a android. Use the square app to charge customers. Got paid by a guy who wanted his rental property mowed here in town but he lives in Florida. Works well for me. I am slowing transitioning to credit or debit card only transactions. Dealing with cash and checks stinks in my opinion. Going to by a ipad when they get some more in and use it for my service agreements and try to go as paperless as possible.

This is the only reason I would consider a smart phone for. They're not made for the everyday abuse they can be subject to. But here again, my "military grade, weather/waterproof" Motorola didn't even last a full year before it started having troubles. I just ordered another Blackberry, I had my Wife's old (but new) Curve but after giving it a few attitude adjustments the screen was cracked. I ended up ordering a Blackberry (the one that flips) I can't remember the stupid name of it. The smart phone that you can swipe a credit or debit card is pretty cool but we deal with mostly older people and local businesses so I would rarely use it.

nobagger
04-01-2011, 08:37 AM
I'm in the market for a new phone and I will be upgrading at the end of this month. I always just wanted a regular good working phone, one that I can hear clear on and sound clear on. I'm now looking at getting a BlackBerry phone. Ive looked at all of the different phones out there and they are cool. But from the reviews I read what seems to be a common problem is, the phones are great at texting and web, but when it comes down to working good as an actual phone, well that's when the trouble starts.

I'm not the type to text or surf the web on a phone, I can see how that can be useful, but I need a phone to work as a phone, one that is clear. My brother in law has the I Phone and although its a neat phone with all the bells and whistles, you can't hear him worth a crap and he can't hear you most times, and he drops calls all the time. He lives in Miami not Bum F*&^, so he should get great reception.

If you read the reviews you will find out that most of the smart phones are weak and flimsy and are easily broken, have poor phone quality, are buggy, meaning they freeze up and the apps don't work properly. SOOOOOOOOOO what good is a phone that has those type problems? Now from what I read about the BlackBerry is, the phone call quality is excellent, the antenna is strong so very few if any dropped calls. People can actually hear you when talking and you can hear them, they are durable and they function very well.

So in my opinion from reading hundreds of reviews on different websites, I would say if you have the need for a good phone that you can hear people on and they can hear you on, and you need a phone that is durable and has good reception etc, then the BlackBerry is the way to go, especially for business.

Now if you want to look cool, have a large screen for surfing the web and sound quality or call quality is not as important as text and email and surfing the web, then I'm sure the I phone or some other smart phone will work.

This is my opinion and I have nothing to back this up other than reviews that I have read and personal experience with my BIL I Phone.

Needless to say I'm looking at a BlackBerry Bold 9780 for me.

Dave...

Dave, you and I are on the same paige, lol I actually found a "stick phone" one that doesn't flip or slide open. Its just a straight forward phone from Motorola, I thought finally here is a simple, basic work phone....it only got 2 stars on Sprint's web site. My Daughter laughed, actually made fun of me for wanting a "stick phone",lol

grassmasterswilson
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM

I noticed a few apps on the iphone for credit cards and they would even send the free swipe device. The only down side I saw was that many of them charged 2-3% plus a $0.15-0.20 charge per swipe or key entry. So on every 100 bill you'd be looking at $2-3 per transaction. Margins on a single cut $30 yard would be lower imo

CraigU
04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Have no experience with an iPhone other than using an ipod touch for a few years. Have lots of experience with BlackBerry and fair amount with Android phone.
Here is my take. If you want a good phone for email and a little web go BlackBerry. By far best at email and phone calls with the way it manages contacts and dialing. Android is still good at email and calls just not as convenient. It does do many other things the BlackBerry doesn't do so well like browse the web and many apps.
Now if you want to be real conservative, have a plain ole' cell phone and buy an ipod touch. You will only have data around wifi hot spots but you get the features of an iphone without the monthly data cost!

theguynextdoor
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
I have the Blackberry 8530 (I think is the model) and its great. Very easy to use, has all the apps I need. It syncs to my 3 emails much easier than my girlfriends droid. I'm not a fan of touch screens; I like the BB keyboard a lot. It's also very durable. I've dropped it countless times, gotten it a little wet and very dusty. The key is to get an otterbox case.

Also, I just downloaded Blackberry Protect which saves all the info on your phone at scheduled times (texts, contacts, calender, notes, etc.) You can download it all onto a new device and track your phone if you lose it or gets stolen. The BB website will show its gps location or make it ring very loudly. You can also lock it or wipe all the info from it, my favorite feature. The app is also made by the BB company so its more trustworthy and reputable than
3rd party apps.

ashgrove landscaping
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
You can write and send invoices and estimates with the iphone. It also automatically syncs with your home computer. So everything you write up in the field is ready to go at home. The other phones probably do this as well.

GMLC
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I love my blackberry. It sinks with my email, calender, client lists, outlook and everything I need in the field.

grassmasterswilson
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
You can write and send invoices and estimates with the iphone. It also automatically syncs with your home computer. So everything you write up in the field is ready to go at home. The other phones probably do this as well.

What invoice program are you using? Can you use quickbooks? Will the iphone sync with a computer other than a mac?

ashgrove landscaping
04-01-2011, 03:28 PM
What invoice program are you using? Can you use quickbooks? Will the iphone sync with a computer other than a mac?

It's a program called billings. Super cheap desk top version. $40. and the app for the iphone is like $5 or something. It's really simple and easy as well as professional. Not sure about the quick books. Check out their site. http://www.marketcircle.com/billings/

walker-talker
04-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Hard to imagine life without my iPhone.

tradeyouraccounts
04-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Iphone all the way, great battery life and plenty of apps that work well and make business life simple even for excepting credit cards on your'e phone. GPS, email and web access all works great.

coolluv
04-01-2011, 06:53 PM
You guys using the I phone, do you find that the call clarity is poor and do you have any trouble with dropped calls? Also most of the smart phones I read about have poor battery life.

So you guys with I phones do you have any of these problems? I'm getting a new phone at the end of this month and I need something that works as a phone and is durable with good phone quality.

Whats the deal, are the reviews I read wrong?

Dave...

walker-talker
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
If there is an issue with call clarity, I am guessing it would be more with the provider and not the phone. Of course, at times I have a dropped call, but who knows how it happens. Could be the other person's line. It's not enough for me to cancel and go with somebody else. The main downfall with the iphone is the cost associated. It's $30 a month for internet service..which might me high compared to others.

buckhigh
04-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I just switched to the "everything plan" offered by Sprint. I use the Samsung Epic 4G powered by Android. By far it's the best phone I've ever used. Will never go back to iPhone or BB again.

coolluv
04-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Overall rating:
3 Out of 5
Not what I thought....
By ANONYMOUS - Mar 29, 2011
Even though this is a smart phone with Android features, it doesn't do some of the things that my Instinct did. The battery life is HORRIBLE, the signal is WEAK, & it drops call a lot! The back camera is AWESOME, but the front camera is terrible. It takes GREAT pictures, but the videos are very grainy.
Would you recommend this product to a... No

Overall rating:
2 Out of 5
GUTTIKONDA
not as expected
By GUTTIKONDA - Mar 28, 2011
The battery life is aweful even with closing all the hogging apps. The icons are so cluttery and didnt like the design of andriod even after using it for 5 months. The only great thing about this phone is the screen...

Overall rating:
1 Out of 5
staliafero
What and EPIC mistake
By staliafero - Mar 25, 2011
Of course two days out of my 30days, my phone starts giving me issues, contantly locks up, feeds don't update as they should and my speech to text never works, constantly having to reboot phone to function properly for a couple of hours. The battery life is very poor, average lasting 5 hours, this with only Facebook running and NO live wallpaper running, if I apply live wallpaper I'm lucky to get 4 hours. I am an average user not high tech or consumed by phone like some. If you talk on the phone alot this is NOT the phone for you. From and utterly disappointed user!
0 of 0 people found this review helpful

Overall rating:
4 Out of 5
Definatly Not A Blackberry
By DBLACK5939 - Mar 25, 2011
Not a good phone for a very organized business person. But, great phone for a kid, packed full of fun.

These are some of the reviews off of the Sprint web site, this is typical of all of the reviews that I have read about all of the smart phones. Its not just this particular phone. I was just using this as an example because of the post above. You have to keep in mind who is reviewing the phone, just like you have to with equipment reviews on here. You have Kids that really like these phones because they use them for internet and gaming. But if you use the phones for business and phone calls etc. then most of these smart phones are really dumb phones.

Now of course you are going to have different opinions about a product but if you sift through the kid reviews and read the reviews from business people you will see the same pattern that I have seen, and that most of these smart phones are for kids.

Dave...

TJLANDS
04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Sprint EVO best phone I have ever used
No issues Posted via Mobile Device

T.E.
04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
You guys using the I phone, do you find that the call clarity is poor and do you have any trouble with dropped calls? Also most of the smart phones I read about have poor battery life.

So you guys with I phones do you have any of these problems? I'm getting a new phone at the end of this month and I need something that works as a phone and is durable with good phone quality.

Whats the deal, are the reviews I read wrong?

Dave...

I've never had 1 dropped call and I've had mine for over a yr. Battery life that depends on your settings....if your email is updated every 5 minutes it will use a lot of battery life. I can go more than a day and not need to charge my Iphone. It's the best phone I've ever had.

grassmasterswilson
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
thanks for the input. Its a tough choice. I love my black berry and its fast email pick up, led notification, and the fact that it appears to be a little more durable than the iphone. At the same time I can't get past the fact that the iphone offers some great apps/games and is considerably faster internet.

Would really like something in between. Looked at a few droid phones, but at a price of 250+ really seem to be high priced for me.

IRRITECH
04-03-2011, 09:33 AM
HTC Aria on AT&T. Battery life is fine, remember, we live in our trucks so nobody should have battery issues. Mine charges in the truck during the day. I don't carry it on the job with me so I don't have to worry about dropping it or getting it wet. I just bought my daughter an iPhone and in my opinion the Droid app market is much easier to get around than iTunes. My wife has a Blackberry Bold and here is my review.

Blackberry Bold
-2 out of 5

-SMALL screen, almost usless for web surfing
-TINY keys, unless you have very small fingers texting is a joke.
-Blackberry app market is a joke compared to Droid or iTunes.
-Email is ridiculous on that tiny screen.

-Call quality is JUNK. Even with the Sprint Airave in the house calls are dropped and quality is TERRIBLE. We live right in the middle of good Sprint coverage. On the road she has terrible problems with service.

-Phone is Corporate issued and they have authorized her to go back to Verizon or AT&T.

I am not "immersed" in iTunes like alot of people. It may be very easy for those who are to navigate the App Store. Therefore they will strongly disagree with my assesment of the app market. Others absolutely love their Blackberry. Since I have used all three I would have to say that my opinion is the only on that is right :)

PLS-Tx
04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
My wife and I have the BB Curve 8550, we are happy with them.

E-mail works great, nice weather apps. Browser is kinda slow but I rarely use it anyway.

We may upgrade to the BB Bold, it's faster and has PTT.

We are with Verizon.

Travel'n Trees
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I phone 3 gs a little better reception than 4. Blackberry can't do this or that broken, so many missed calls. My wife has had almost all of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2011, 08:23 PM
I run a Droid X, have been since release last fall.

I recently rooted the phone, so I can change the processing speed, as well as battery usage.

I wouldn't have anything but a Droid X, came over from a Blackberry. It's not even close.

I use Verizon, hardly ever have dropped calls, even living "in the sticks" in MN, sound clarity is as good as the Blackberry, it streams music through the bluetooth in the truck, and I have LogMeIn Ignition as one of the apps, so I can just access the home computer at any time to reprint an invoice, email a bid, whatever needs to happen.