PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Cleanup Rates

jayandlo
09-26-2002, 01:03 PM
How do you charge for cleaning up leaves?

Bunton Guy
09-26-2002, 05:04 PM
$55.00 per hour for 2 men + county/city dump fee and tack on a few dollars for the dump fee for traveling. (Ex. half acre mature lot plenty of trees and mulched beds....takes 2 hours and fills up half the leaf vac truck $110+18=128 for the job

65hoss
09-26-2002, 05:13 PM
That is a real hard question to answer. Everyone here has a ford vs chevy thought on it. Some like an hourly rate. Some say only price the job and never tell the customer the hourly rate. Some say go every week like your cutting and just mulch them. The list could go on, but you get the idea. I think its a trial and error thing in each market. Do a search on this site and then implement one and try it.

The Lawn Choupique
09-26-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 65hoss
Everyone here has a ford vs chevy thought on it.

So everyone has a junk vs. junk thought. You know, Detroit could build a good auto if they wanted to. As long as people keep buying american made junk they have no incentive to.

The Lawn Choupique
09-26-2002, 07:23 PM
Oh, and leaf clean up. $15 per hour.

Doogiegh
09-26-2002, 07:26 PM
Go directly to this thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33776

There are at least 96 replies to this thread! It is the encyclopedia on here as to how to do it.

You will notice that you will also get roughly 96 different answers.

For what it's worth, I just gave out my first estimate for doing leaves myself.

Told the homeowner it's impossible to quote, just $45 from time in to time out. He asked me what I would do. I said I would cut the lawn with double blades (explained the system of doubles), using Gator magnums on top, hi-lifts below. If that doesn't work, I would cut the yard again. If that isn't good enough, I will put the bagger on and suck up the clippings into the bags, delivered to the curbside.

I further explained that if he wants everything bagged, I can, but it's $45 an hour. If he wants it just double cut with gators, that can be done in less than 1 hour. (SMALL backyard).

I liked Bobbygedd's answer that if someone wants you to run around with a paper bag and catch every single leaf as it falls, he will, but it's a high hourly rate.

My next bid I will put out at $50 an hour and keep it going.

The guy I told $45 an hour to didn't even flinch... I thought for SURE he would of big time..

He has a bad back, BTW, and he knows it took him about 15 hours last year to manually rake and bag up this property that was very poorly maintained..

Best of luck. <G>

Gary

lawnkid
09-26-2002, 08:30 PM
Hey Lawn Choupique,
It doesn't seem like you make a lot for clean-ups. you should consider raising your prices so you can make more money. i'm a 15 year old kid and I charge $40 per hour. You should be able to get more than that.

mdb landscaping
09-26-2002, 08:40 PM
in another thread he said he doesnt have insurance. no wonder hes cheaper.

The Lawn Choupique
09-26-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by lawnkid
Hey Lawn Choupique,
It doesn't seem like you make a lot for clean-ups. you should consider raising your prices so you can make more money. i'm a 15 year old kid and I charge $40 per hour. You should be able to get more than that.

What you have to consider is that I am three times your age so you probably can move three times as fast as I do so you are worth three times as much on leaf clean up as I am.

Nomoslowmow
09-26-2002, 09:56 PM
We charge $30/manhour for cleanup and travel to and from the landfill, and pass the landfill rate through without markup.

This hourly rate quote works great compared to a fixed price, as long as the customer thinks you will be fair with him. Our customers are usually pleasantly surprised by how much work we do in an hour.

We lost our shirts on a job a few years ago that we gave a firm price on only to discover that what looked like a level lawn was in fact a 12 ft wide 2 ft deep ditch 200 ft long filled with wet leaves. Boy, did I feel stupid stumbling and falling face down in that mess. The home owner actually came out and told me to stop as he felt he had already gotten more than he paid for and that he felt sorry for me! I think I made about zero after expenses!

I mowed his nearly 4 acre lawn for two more years, and still mow the people who moved in after him.

Bob

LawnPro in NC
09-27-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by The Lawn Choupique
What you have to consider is that I am three times your age so you probably can move three times as fast as I do so you are worth three times as much on leaf clean up as I am.

I'd hate to know I broke a 45 dollar something and I only charged the customer one hr to do the job. (at 15.00) net profit on the job -$30.00 two hours at another job to break even. My time is worth more than that. Get Ins. One of the first things I did within 2 weeks of buying my equip. Knock on wood anything I have damaged thus far is small dollar Items. An 18.00 sprinkler heads just the other day. Areator right through the top.

bubble boy
09-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Chopique keep that humor coming, man!

by the way i am laughing at you, certainly not with you...

:D :D