PDA

View Full Version : Trimmers

Hookset
09-26-2002, 01:33 PM
I resently purchased a couple new trimmers and thought I would share my experences with you. I have owned several non- commercial models that aren't worth a mention. I have owned the echo 2100 and the 2601 both good trimmers. I purchased a srm260 which took the place of the 2601. It was junk, heavier than the older one, it had carb problems and the rings wouldn't seal. It seems that they changed the cylinder and put the computerized carbs on them. Echo traded me a new srm2400 for the 260. Its heavy and still doesn't come close to the 2601. I blame the problem with echo on the new non-adjustable carbs which are due to the EPA rules. I purchased a sthl 85 pro earlier in the year, its very good trimmer with lots of power, but heavy. I just purchased a Husky 322L, it is the lightest most powerful trimmer for its size I've ever owned. If your in the market for a light weight trimmer that gets the job done check out the husky. I beleive the 325 maybe a little better more power and just a few ounces heavier.

StayStihl
09-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Is the Husky a considerable amount lighter than the FS 85? I have held one at a dealer before, but didn't really notice much weight difference, however, actual "use" for extended periods of time is the best way to figure this out, I guess, other than the use of a scale.. How would you say the Husky's power compared to that of the FS 85? All we use are FS 85's, we absolutely love them.

strickdad
09-26-2002, 02:37 PM
well i guess i need to put my .02 in. in defense of echo, we run 260s (steel shaft) trimmers and they do really well for us, no problems to date. we have 5 of them and they are "abused" on a daily basis. hookset the 2601,2400 and 2100 trimmers are not commerical units. anyone considering a unit with a motor under 27cc needs to purchase one with a steel drive shaft, reason being anything under 27cc is somewhat underpowered (not just echo but all manufacters) for commerical use. the problem with this is when you get over 27cc unit they get "heavy" and are a pain to carry all day. so the answer is to purchase a 25 or 26 cc unit with a steel shaft, reason being is a steel shaft does not flex like a cable drive, therefore it transfers more power to the head. steel shaft run quite a bit smoother than cables and there is a lot less viberation , (this equals less fatigue) now i now alot of you will say that your trimmers have a lifetime cable warranty (everybodys does) but if you want to get the power to the ground were you need it a steel shaft is the only way to go..

Westbrooklawn
09-26-2002, 04:23 PM
I have to agree with hookset, and have stated the same in an earlier post on trimmers. I have used echo, shindaiwa, and this year bought both a 322L and a 325 Husky. While I have been pleased with both the echo and shindaiwa, the husky is by far the best power weight ration I have ever used. I love them, very light and comfortable to use!! The only problem is that there is not a good aftermarket commercial head available for the 322.......I believe the threaded shaft is smaller than most commercial units.

Hookset
09-26-2002, 04:33 PM
I have seven years experence in lawn care. I used a ten year old 2100 and had no problems with the unit. I've even cut pond banks that only got cut once per year. When you say we use does that mean you don't . I personally have used each and everyone of my units. How much power do you need to trim a yard. The srm 2601 was a commercial grade unit so is the 2400. I have never owned anything over a 26cc unit and have found them to be more than enough to take care of anything I want to cut. If they can't handle it, thats what I use a bush hog for. I never new that a unit had to be over 28cc to be a commercial unit. I'm afraid that your 260 aren't 28cc either. You may have gotten good units, however the problems I have mention are real and not limited to myself. Echo says that they have more 260's come back than all other units combined. The Husky units weigh 8.8 lbs, the echo 2601 11.6 and balanced very nicely, the 2400 12lbs balance is poor, the 260 want even balance. The sthl not sure but probably comes in around 12lbs nice power. For one unit I would probably choose somthing around 26cc. The 325 Husky should fit the bill. I'm not sure about the head of the 322 being smaller, but they are made by the same company that makes echo, robin.

Cut 2 Please
09-26-2002, 04:43 PM
I know exactly what Hookset is talking about when he says his 260 echo was low on power. I purchased a split boom 260 earlier this year and it was ok. I had aways used cheap trimmers in the past and a 2000 echo stick edger. The 260 had a little more power than my old 2000 stick edger but nothing like what the salesman said it would have. I chalked it up as tipicle sales tactic and went on. A couple of months ago I got a helper and needed another power head so that one of us could trim and the other could edge at the same time, so I bought another 260 power unit. This one was the newer version with the new style coupler on the shaft and the trottle safety lock. The new one was twice as strong as the first one. I took them both in last Sat. to let the dealer see the differance for himself and he could not believe it. He called Echo and they said to put a short block assembly and new carb on the old one and that should fix it. I am taking it back this Sat. to have everything done and will let you know how everything turns out.

strickdad
09-27-2002, 02:54 AM
when i say we i mean my wife myself and 5 other employees. i never said the 260s was a 28cc unit. the 260s is a 25.7cc unit just like the 2601 is. the difference being 260s doesent suffer the power loss through drive line flex that the 2601 does. steel shaft versus cable. contact your dealer and demo one......

awm
09-27-2002, 07:59 AM
found about 10 new in box, husky 325 powerheads
at the flea. 80 a piece. didnt buy any as not knowledgable on the product.
wish i had.

lawnagent
09-27-2002, 12:01 PM
I have used Echo exclusivly since 1992 and love them. My trimmers are 2 SRM 2100's and 2 SRM 2400's. I have NEVER needed more power than the 2400 puts out. I think its all in whether or not you get used to something with more power. I did banks and ditches that were sky high with my 2100's and never had a problem. However now that I have my 2400's the 2100's dont get used to mow big banks and dithches anymore. Maybe we should quit buying bigger so we wont know the difference! LOL

Hookset
09-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Both the 260 and the 2601 were availiable in either flex or steel shafts. Steel shats are in fact smother until they get bent. If I had gotten a 260 that was comparable to the 2601 I would have never shopped around. The power head and the carb was replaced on mine. The new carbs on my units are non-adjustable and seem to run a little lean. I wasn't happy with the power band, high rpm was fine, low rpm wasn't smooth and that was on both the 2400 and the 260. Echo does make a good product and they do stand behind them. I currently own two blowers a 2100 and a 650 back pack blower and ht 1500 hedge trimmers. So I do believe in echo products, just got a couple bad ones.

Flex-Deck
09-27-2002, 10:07 PM
I like the echo head - it never clogs with dirt when advancing the string over very long period of time - it is simple to load and use - BTW - John Deere had echo make all their string trimmers until they bought another company- do not remember the name -

thanks, Brad

Hookset
09-28-2002, 12:40 PM
I favored the echo head for years, but I've found its what ever you get used to. I like the head on the sthl its very easy to load and I have less problems with tangles.

scottishmaximus
09-28-2002, 11:56 PM
finally some more husky users

i have a 322l and absolutely love it. It is much much lighter than a stihl fs 85. the 85 is great for brush because blades can be put on them but i did see a blade kit at Lowes for husky, but not sure if it is for the 325. i have a husky edger with the 325 powerhead. it has a metal guard for the gas tank and rubber handles and is a little heavier, other than that i don't notice any differences. what i really like about huskies is the little vibration that they have; this combined with the liteweight and great throttle response and easy starting make a great unit for all day use