PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Project

southerneclipse
04-01-2011, 11:10 PM
I know...this thread has probably been posted many times before, but here it goes...last week I started a new business as far as mowing and basic lawn care. Well, I got a request for a for an estimate to edge a customer's old beds (that need some serious work). The total sq ft is 1000 (they want edging, cleaning, and install of mulch) and I'm thinking about charging about 320.00 to do all of it. Because I'm so new, I want to make sure that I'm not overpricing or low balling...I'm a one man show who also has a full time job and am charging 30.00 an hour (which I think is pretty good). And I know that it changes by location, but what do you guys think? Is that a pretty fair price, labor and product, be about 500.00 to do 1,000sqft of landscape beds...need some advice and can take some criticism. Anything is appreciated, thank you.

knox gsl
04-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I would shoot for a dollar per linear foot on edging,. For mulch I get $75 per yard delivered and installed. As far as bed prep and trimming bushes I estimate it out at $ 50 per hour. This is what I do work the math and see how it will work for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Get Some...
04-01-2011, 11:36 PM
1000 square feet of mulch 3" deep take's ten yard's.
Ten yard's of hardwood mulch delivered around here is....$280.00

1000 feet of bed's 4' wide give's you 250' of edge.
Around here that's $200.00

Ten yard's of mulch installed around here is around $300.00

Plus bed prep/weeding.

southerneclipse
04-02-2011, 06:30 AM
I like charging by the linear ft for the edging...thank you for your advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

PremierT&L
04-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I know...this thread has probably been posted many times before, but here it goes...last week I started a new business as far as mowing and basic lawn care. Well, I got a request for a for an estimate to edge a customer's old beds (that need some serious work). The total sq ft is 1000 (they want edging, cleaning, and install of mulch) and I'm thinking about charging about 320.00 to do all of it. Because I'm so new, I want to make sure that I'm not overpricing or low balling...I'm a one man show who also has a full time job and am charging 30.00 an hour (which I think is pretty good). And I know that it changes by location, but what do you guys think? Is that a pretty fair price, labor and product, be about 500.00 to do 1,000sqft of landscape beds...need some advice and can take some criticism. Anything is appreciated, thank you.

Sounds like you're not charging near enough to me.

Like another poster mentioned, you're looking at 10 yards if you want to put out 3 inches.

I suggest you rent a bed edger for probably $75 - $100, pick yourself 2 or 3 helpers and you should be able to knock it out in a day.

Charge $70-$75 a yard installed for the mulch and tack on another $200 to $300 to clean out the beds redo the edges. By my math you should be charging somewhere between $900 and $1050. You should be able to clear around $300 on the job. Good luck

lukemelo216
04-03-2011, 02:14 PM
like others said, you need to determine the depth of mulch you desire. I usually do 2" on regular "seasonal installs", 1" on touch up jobs (summer or fall mulching) and then 4" on landscape installs. So from the sounds of it, id be bidding it at 2" depth. Which is about 6 yards. I just sell the product to the customer at what ever retail is at the nursery. I generally use double shredded hardwood mulch, so retail is $34/yd by me. So I would charge $254 for mulch (product plus $50 delivery fee (i can fit 6 yards in my 1 ton dump)

Since your new and still learning the "tricks" id guess youd be at like 45 minutes per yard. so your talking 4.5 hours to spread that mulch. If you want $30/hour, thats $135.00. Id figure on about another 1.5 hours doing prep work (weeding, clearing out debris, etc) so $180. Then the edging, if the edging isnt terrible, i go for about $0.55 per foor and $.70 if its bad/non existant.

So im at $434 plus edging with the price of my mulch and your hourly rates.

If it were by me id probably be at like $455 or so for the mulch install, I charge a hire hourly rate, but can do about 1 yd in 30 minutes.

southerneclipse
04-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate all of the advice...I gave the estimate yesterday and underbid by a lot after reading the comments. I guess you live and learn. And I guess I'm gonna learn the hard way...this is a great site with some great advice which is very helpful, thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device