PDA

View Full Version : crape myrtel prunning

BLL
09-26-2002, 04:57 PM
whenis the best tiem to prune a crape myrtle tree i have heard only spring or only fall and then either is ok. Also how far do you prune them i thought you just topped them but now i hear that you can cut the hel lout of them and its just as good

RwADesigner
09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
we do alot of pruning in fall or very early spring......late winter....

as far as..how far you want to cut..is up to you...depends how thick you want the top to be

I like to prune mine lightly because i like the tree look....alot of the time if you prune to far it makes them look to bushy ...but that is me

BLL
09-26-2002, 06:34 PM
so you prune them with everythgin else no real differences then.. I had a customere tel me that you had to prune them in spring cause if you pruned them in fall they woudl think it was spring which i dont see what teh big deal is with that. well i do but still plants have brains?

65hoss
09-26-2002, 06:55 PM
I've done them at both spring and fall. Its the same either way. You can cut the heck out of them if you wish. Its almost impossible to kill one.

George777
09-26-2002, 09:10 PM
I prune them in Feb.

greenman
09-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Crepes can be pruned anytime. I wouldn't prune in winter though because of the dormacy. Crepes flower on new growth not old growth, so when and how little or how much you prune is your preference.

KerryB
09-27-2002, 08:37 AM
I also prune in Feb, I also try not to prune anything lbigger around than a pencil. Unless the specimin needs some correction . When you prune back heavy they tend to develop knots.

Lanelle
09-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Early/mid summer is a lousy time to prune them since it will reduce the amount of bloom. I have a friend whose husband always prunes the crape myrtle in July. She has never seen it flower!

vardener
09-29-2002, 02:22 PM
I trim 'em in the fall, after it has finished grownig, or early spring, before it starts growing. I like to prune when it is devoid of foliage. I don't know, it just seems easier then. I like the tree shape, so I'll establish a canopy, and take anything pinky size or smaller off of the leader trunk/s. As far as topping them off... I will only top off Crepe's and some fruit trees. That said, I will pretty much just even the top and only in the season I prune. I like Crepe's alot more now that I live in MD. In Texas, they were everywhere. I just got sick of them. Here, they are alot less common, and the specimens I have seen tend to be alot healthier. Hope it helps. I grew up with a Father that was a very natural, intuitive gardener. As a result, Most of what I do, especially in Trees, Is from my gut. Kind of hard to explain that, I guess.

Landscape Mafia
12-17-2002, 01:13 AM
There is such a thing as Crepe Myrtle Abuse. If you trim back to
much the main leaders will start to have knots. Havn't found any way to get rid of these knots . I trim them in Feb. to early March in a canopy form and then maybe again after the first bloom. I also had lots of experience propergating Crepes, lots of enteresting knowledge.

BRL
12-17-2002, 10:00 AM
If you do a search for crepe myrtle here you will find a recent thread about pruning them. In that thread a couple of good links were posted to web sites with loads of info on them.

Hookset
12-18-2002, 01:20 AM
There was an article this past year in Southern Living (probably Jan-Feb issue ) which stated that Feb. was the best time to prune. There were pictures showing how it should be done. The umbrella shape was the result. I always cut out any dead/ poor growth, cut out the suckers leaving the largest branches that grow upward. I clean all small branches up from the bottom, this lets the sunlight in and helps to prevent decay. Cut any branch that does not reach upward. I trim in Nov.-Feb. Not sure about them thinking its spring, if it blooms early the frost will get the blooms. I would say to never trim later than mid Mar. It takes a while for them to recoup after there pruned. I'm no expert still learning but once you prune the correct way its just like riding a bike.