View Full Version : crape myrtel prunning

09-26-2002, 04:57 PM
whenis the best tiem to prune a crape myrtle tree i have heard only spring or only fall and then either is ok. Also how far do you prune them i thought you just topped them but now i hear that you can cut the hel lout of them and its just as good

09-26-2002, 05:05 PM
we do alot of pruning in fall or very early spring......late winter....

as far as..how far you want to cut..is up to you...depends how thick you want the top to be

I like to prune mine lightly because i like the tree look....alot of the time if you prune to far it makes them look to bushy ...but that is me

09-26-2002, 06:34 PM
so you prune them with everythgin else no real differences then.. I had a customere tel me that you had to prune them in spring cause if you pruned them in fall they woudl think it was spring which i dont see what teh big deal is with that. well i do but still plants have brains?

09-26-2002, 06:55 PM
I've done them at both spring and fall. Its the same either way. You can cut the heck out of them if you wish. Its almost impossible to kill one.

09-26-2002, 09:10 PM
I prune them in Feb.

09-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Crepes can be pruned anytime. I wouldn't prune in winter though because of the dormacy. Crepes flower on new growth not old growth, so when and how little or how much you prune is your preference.

09-27-2002, 08:37 AM
I also prune in Feb, I also try not to prune anything lbigger around than a pencil. Unless the specimin needs some correction . When you prune back heavy they tend to develop knots.

09-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Early/mid summer is a lousy time to prune them since it will reduce the amount of bloom. I have a friend whose husband always prunes the crape myrtle in July. She has never seen it flower!

09-29-2002, 02:22 PM
I trim 'em in the fall, after it has finished grownig, or early spring, before it starts growing. I like to prune when it is devoid of foliage. I don't know, it just seems easier then. I like the tree shape, so I'll establish a canopy, and take anything pinky size or smaller off of the leader trunk/s. As far as topping them off... I will only top off Crepe's and some fruit trees. That said, I will pretty much just even the top and only in the season I prune. I like Crepe's alot more now that I live in MD. In Texas, they were everywhere. I just got sick of them. Here, they are alot less common, and the specimens I have seen tend to be alot healthier. Hope it helps. I grew up with a Father that was a very natural, intuitive gardener. As a result, Most of what I do, especially in Trees, Is from my gut. Kind of hard to explain that, I guess.

Landscape Mafia
12-17-2002, 01:13 AM
There is such a thing as Crepe Myrtle Abuse. If you trim back to
much the main leaders will start to have knots. Havn't found any way to get rid of these knots . I trim them in Feb. to early March in a canopy form and then maybe again after the first bloom. I also had lots of experience propergating Crepes, lots of enteresting knowledge.

12-17-2002, 10:00 AM
If you do a search for crepe myrtle here you will find a recent thread about pruning them. In that thread a couple of good links were posted to web sites with loads of info on them.

12-18-2002, 01:20 AM
There was an article this past year in Southern Living (probably Jan-Feb issue ) which stated that Feb. was the best time to prune. There were pictures showing how it should be done. The umbrella shape was the result. I always cut out any dead/ poor growth, cut out the suckers leaving the largest branches that grow upward. I clean all small branches up from the bottom, this lets the sunlight in and helps to prevent decay. Cut any branch that does not reach upward. I trim in Nov.-Feb. Not sure about them thinking its spring, if it blooms early the frost will get the blooms. I would say to never trim later than mid Mar. It takes a while for them to recoup after there pruned. I'm no expert still learning but once you prune the correct way its just like riding a bike.