PDA

View Full Version : Biggest job so far...stressing! Long post...

rywnygc
04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Got a referral and went out to a property today. Pretty much all of the side yard and back yard is mulch. Here is a list of what needs done.

edge and mulch 2 trees at curb and a lightpost in the front yard.
Remove 2 dwarf alberta spruces in front of house.
Replace dead bulbs in landscape lighting.
Remove stone from right edge of house and replace with mulch.
Add 2-3 lilac bushes in rear bed.
Remove an old juniper.
edge around right side bed (97 feet) and in a few other spots (most areas have paver edging.
Take out plastic edging in some areas.
Plant a few shrubs in all beds.
Mulch all beds that aren't labled stone in crappy drawing.

There is a bit more, but its minor stuff.

The beds measure out to 6,189 SF. I used a mulch calculator and at 2 inches it comes to 38.2 cubic yards.

Where I'm having a problem is the mulch. I have come up with a price for the rest of the work. The way I price mulch (which I have said in another thread) is a mark up of $10 a yard to make it 35 a yard and then my labor rate of $60 per hour. I know that most guys charge around $75 a yard installed.
At that rate it comes to about $2,865 installed.
The way I price it, the mulch comes to $1,337 and I estimate about 6 hours to spread it which is $360 for a total of $1,697. This is all before tax of course. That is a difference of $1,168!!!!

Like I said before, I have prices for all the other work, but I'm stuck on how to price this mulch job. That is a huge price difference. This is the biggest job I have done on my own so far, so I really want to get it. I have stuck to mowing so far but am trying to pick up more landscape work this season. If you guys could help break this down short bus style to help me figure out this estimate, it would be great. Here is a very rough and horribly drawn layout of the property. Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions and advise.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q86/rlee81indy/mulchjob.jpg

rywnygc
04-02-2011, 03:48 PM
the yellow on the top of the pic is an error, it does not need to be edged. It has the plastic edging.

Stillwater
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
how big is your crew

rywnygc
04-02-2011, 03:56 PM
2 man, sorry for leaving that out.

Kylec3
04-02-2011, 04:08 PM
its only gonna take 2 men 6hrs to put down 38yds of mulch?? and are u getting all the mulch delivered there or do u have to take the time to go get a few more truck loads of mulch? your price is pretty low

rywnygc
04-02-2011, 04:14 PM
it will be delivered.

Mudly
04-02-2011, 04:42 PM
unless you have a mulch mule and a squad of Rangers your not laying 38 yards in 6 hrs. my static rate for per yard installed includes edging and preping.

angelc77
04-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I would charge $60 per yard labor x 38 yards $2280 plus the price of your mulch and delivery I have a 3 man crew and i would laid all mulch and prep in 6 hrs top then your other stuff adde all up present it then proposed to the customer if he does everything with you He/she wil get a 25% discount

milsaps118
04-02-2011, 05:03 PM
38cy in 6hrs???? No way, that means each guy will have to load, dump and spread almost 6.5cy per hour. If you and your helper can lay mulch at that pace you could be filthy rich just doing mulch jobs IF you priced it right.

Find out what your competition is charging and price accordingly to that, not what you think you need to get per hour.

jdutcher003
04-02-2011, 05:13 PM
stick with the $75 per yard installed if you want to make some money. You could even do 65 a yard if you think the 75 is high. 75 is the going rate in our area for the most part

rywnygc
04-02-2011, 05:36 PM
stick with the $75 per yard installed if you want to make some money. You could even do 65 a yard if you think the 75 is high. 75 is the going rate in our area for the most part

Thanks, ygpm

godzilla
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
In the past I've been at $100 per yard +/-. With fuel being what it is now, I doubt I'd go less than that.

FLCthes4:11-12
04-03-2011, 07:58 AM
it took me and my helper in the rain last week down a muddy hill 4 hours to spread 8 yards and I thought we were moving. The only way I can lay it faster is on new construction where I can use my skid

Mudly
04-03-2011, 08:14 AM
rlee just to give yo a idea of how much mulch that is here is some references.
a semi 53 foot trailer holds 88 yards of mulch. and 38 yards of mulch would weigh around 30k pounds

rywnygc
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
right, I know how much it is. The six hours is an estimate for spreading it. There are very few obstacles and all the prep and edge work are going to be done the day prior to the mulch going in. I wont deny or try to argue that it may take more than 6 hours though. Like I said, this is my biggest job so far. I was judging on time it took to lay down half that before in another location.

Showpropserv
04-03-2011, 11:24 AM
It might be possible depending how far your going to half to hump it. I know last summer me and my forman put down 10 in 45min now would not be able to keep up that pace for close to 40 yard no chance

SNAPPER MAN
04-03-2011, 11:48 AM
It's going to take you two days just to lay down the mulch, no way you could do it in six hours unless all the flowerbeds are a few feet from the mulch pile and you have a 5 man crew.
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
what I do with mulch is I usually just sell it at whatever price a homeowner can go and get it at the nursery. So for example, i buy shredded hardwood at the nursery for $24/yd, homeowners can go and get it for $30/yd. Then I figure an average of 1 yard spread per half hour on jobs where theres minimal plantings, and you can basically just dump the wheel barrow and spread very easily. Beds with more plants/obsticles/farther distance to travel goes up to 45 minutes to 1 hour per yard.

Straight labor like that, where we arent using fuel besides to get to the job is billed at $50/hour. So that $25/yard spread. So Im at $55/yd for regular shredded hardwood. most of the time though Im doing doubble shreded hardwood which is about $4 more per yard. so id be at $2090 for it, plus then all the prep work. I dont figure that into my mulch quote. Edging is usually just billed hourly, as is weeding, and snapshot. Around here people dont really like seeing the price tag of $75/yard including prep work. They like to see the lower number for the mulch installed then the other stuff in addition.

edit: i also forgot to include my delivery fee. On mulch jobs where we can use our own truck (gmc 3500 1 ton dump get about 6-7 yds in it) we charge a devlivery fee of usually $50.00. Then on larger jobs where we would need to go back to the nursery 2 or 3 times we just have the nursery deliver it and mark up there fee a few $.

freddyc
04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
it took me and my helper in the rain last week down a muddy hill 4 hours to spread 8 yards and I thought we were moving. The only way I can lay it faster is on new construction where I can use my skid

He doesn't describe the terrain--sloped/flat???

If possible, rent a small skid or dingo and charge out 10 hrs to spread it--add in the cost of the rental.

It's ridiculous to spread 38 yds by hand if you don't have to. You run the machine and your helper does the final grade/spread.

Spreading 38 yds in 8 hrs with a machine is easily doable-- I can spread 10 an hr with a 42" bucket if travel distance isn't too far. Get a light materials bucket on a dingo and you're done without a sweat. This looks like a cake job to me. If you have to use wheelbarrows and just one helper, then you're dreaming that you can spread that much material in double the time you're describing. You're also working way harder than you have to for no gain. Unless you're using your job to substitute for your workout, get a machine.

In addition, he said it's being delivered. From the picture, it looks like he can dump in multiple places to cut down on travel.

rywnygc
04-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok, I have finally finished working up this bid. I would like to thank those who helped with advice through the thread and through PM. I will let you know if I get it and how it worked out. Thanks again.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I usually count on it taking one hour for 1 man to spread 1 yard of mulch. so 38 yards would take me and my guy almost 20 hours to spread the mulch. how in the hell can you do it in 6?

rywnygc
04-03-2011, 07:01 PM
It has changed a bit now. Although she needs 2 inches of mulch, she only wants 1 inch because of cost. So with the calculator it came out to 19.1 cubic yards. I gave her the estimate of the mulch and all other work and she accepted it. So now Im ordering plants.

Get Some...
04-03-2011, 09:12 PM
I usually count on it taking one hour for 1 man to spread 1 yard of mulch. so 38 yards would take me and my guy almost 20 hours to spread the mulch. how in the hell can you do it in 6?

That's what I was wondering..........:)

If your putting one inch of mulch, I hope there is alot left in the bed's from last spring.....

phillie
04-04-2011, 02:40 AM
That's what I was wondering..........:)

If your putting one inch of mulch, I hope there is alot left in the bed's from last spring.....

Im pretty sure in the post right before this he said 2 inches. 19 yrds would be a an 8-9 hr day for us.

TurnerLawn&Landscape
04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
phillie do you have a two man crew? Am i close to you saying "one hour per yard" with one man? In other words, for me and my guy to spread 4 yards of mulch it will take 2 hours