PDA

View Full Version : chipper shredders?

godzilla
04-03-2011, 12:19 AM
One of my clients wants to get rid of an old pile of leaves, branches, and logs. Buried in the pile was a 5 HP chipper shredder that he said I could have. The pile would easily fill a 30 yard container as is. There's probably a pick-up load of firewood, and maybe 2 yards of chips if I really go crazy with the branches. I'm wondering though if I might be better off getting this little chipper shredder going in order to reduce the 20+ yards of leaves down to a material that can be re-used on site. It's free after all, the engine should run after we drain the fuel and do the carb kit. The blades should probably be replaced, but that's no big deal. Just to be clear on the removal work, it will take 3 guys at LEAST 2-3 days to get this stuff up to the can as is. For those who have these little machines, how well do they perform on old piles of junk? I'm not going to attempt to run branches or wood through it, just the old leaves.

Sammy
04-04-2011, 07:23 AM
What model of chipper. Some of those home owner ones are just junk.

Dr.NewEarth
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
I have one of those bearcats. I don't recall what model, and I don't want to go out in the rainstorm to get the manual from the shop right now...

I bought it figuring I could chip up what I didn't buck up, and use it around the farm.

A pickup truck load of 3 inch diameter branches takes about an hour of hard work to chip. I had to rig the discharge chute open. and you have to keep raking the debris away.
I haven't used it to make leaf mulch....too much work to keep loading the top by hand.

Next time, I'll just get a full size chipper. I subcontract the big stuff.

My small chipper sits in the corner of the shop collecting dust.

I thought it would be a good thing to have, but I don't like it much.

Free is good. "Whoever has the most tools when he dies wins!" says my Brother

Some-times I wonder if he is counting himself in?