PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use a Camelbak?

BobbyW
09-26-2002, 07:48 PM
I am considering an effort to bring this product to the lawn service industry. It seems like it would be beneficial to someone working outside and on the move all day. Please let me know your thoughts - would you use one or not? Is it a stupid idea? I would very much appreciate the feedback - to help me decide whether to do it or drop it.

For those who are not familiar, Camelbak is a water bladder inside a small insulated backpack that holds upwards of 70 oz. of water. It allows the wearer to carry water with them all day without being in the way and it leaves the hands free to work. It was invented for bicycling, but has since been picked up by a lot of different users, from firemen at the World Trade Center, to Special Ops guys in Afghanistan.

Thanks!

Turfdude
09-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Most of these are worn on the back and I for one will not use a hand held blower. Also, I think that although good for some sports (hiking, biking, rollerblading, etc.), that in one way or other would be a little cumbersome when working.

Bob

LB Landscaping
09-26-2002, 09:27 PM
I have one for Mt biking and runnign but have never used it mowing. Seems like it would be uncomfortable while sitting on my Walker. Could always wear it on the front I guess. I just use a water bottle. I fill it half way with water at night and throw it in the freezer, in the morning I fill the other half with cold water, the ice keeps it cold all day and it melts about the same rarte that I drink.

MacLawnCo
09-26-2002, 11:26 PM
I do when i ride. I dont know if it would be as beneficial to lawn guys as it is to atheletes. The truck is never that far away, and like has been stated, when you are sitting on a mower, it interfeers with your back contacting the seat. It may have limited apps, but not many.

Just Turned Pro
09-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Besides the above reasons, the last thing I need is more weight on my back all day.

I just keep lots of water in the truck and drink it while driving to the next site.

Scag48
09-27-2002, 12:59 AM
I've got a Camelback Lobo and thought about using it for mowing. It's one of the smaller ones, but it wouldn't be good for seats and wouldn't work well with a BP blower. It makes my back sweat alot when I'm out mountain biking in the summer and wouldn't want a sweaty pack out there working. Yuck.

wattsup
09-27-2002, 09:47 AM
I tried one strapped to my chest. It helped keep me cool, but when the dust flies it gets all over the straw. I tried putting a small bag over it with a rubber band and it worked, it was just a pain to use. I also have a W.E. Chapps bag attached to the back of my seat and put it in there and it worked also. I guess if someone could give some other ideas about an easier way to cover the straw I would use one all the time. Also, when using the backpack blower the weight on the front from the Camelback equals out some of the weight.

Ax Man
09-27-2002, 02:48 PM
I have the mule, and use it for MTB and hunting.
It is easy enough to mount a bottle cage on any mower to stay hydrated. And with a rider the backpack is in the way.
Trimming and the stuff that you don't want splattered on your face will be on the mouthpiece. Maybe the fanny pack type with some sort of retractable cover for the mouth piece to keep it clean...

Is this an informal market survey?