PDA

View Full Version : All WALKER MOWER OWNERS

kjfaulk
09-26-2002, 08:51 PM
It has come time for me to buy my first Walker, and I cant decide on the 20 hp or the new 26 hp. I have 2 different dealers one has a 26 hp that has 15 hrs on it and I was suppose to demo this unit for 3 weeks now but the fuel pump has went bad and been out of service. But on the other hand the other dealer seems alot more knowledgeable about Walker, says that he sales way more 20 hp than 26 hp. Just because the 20 hp has less gagets and whistles to break down. After talking with dealer #2 seems like he really nows way more, so my ? to you guys is those of you who have the 20 hp, is it enough horsepower.
Thanks

:D

John Gamba
09-26-2002, 09:01 PM
Just remember Your not Running just a deck your also running a Blower. If you whant to Run a bigger deck in the future you will Need the horse Power to Do that(Like the 60 Or 74). The Other reason Is if You whant to run winter option's you need a Engine that start's and run's in the cold. And last But not least You need great gas milege.

so Go with the 26FI Kohler. they did Have some sort of recall On the pump Mounting. ask the dealer about that.

All The 26's I Have are great with Very Littel Problem's.

John.

MOW ED
09-26-2002, 09:39 PM
They have an upgrade for that fuel pump. The screen in the pump was too restrictive. I know, it happened to me. In over 700 hours it was the only burp. Otherwise I would never go to a 20. I had a 25 and this 26efi kills it. Look at it this way. The 26 uses as much fuel as the 20 does. It is a great engine. Don't let that pump scare you. Use it to get some money off the mower and then laugh all the way to the bank.

The 26efi is the way to go.

ksland
09-26-2002, 10:01 PM
Well, I have a 1997 20HP with a 48" GHS deck at least 1800 hrs, full speed up hill wet tall grass engine does not bog. See no need for more HP unless maybe bigger decks or attachments. I plan on using this only with the 48.

LB Landscaping
09-26-2002, 10:21 PM
I'm with ksland. I have a 20 hp with the 48 inch deck and its has plenty of power. If you are going for the bigger decks I would go for more HP but for the 48 20 HP is enough.

Westbrooklawn
09-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Ditto the last two posts. I also have a 20 hp with 48" GHS deck. More than enough power. On the other hand.....the 26efi has a great reputation, and the gas efficiency is as good as the 20, so if you don't mind spending the extra $'s it may be cheaper to own in the longrun (less chances of fuel problems common which are common with carb).

kjfaulk
09-26-2002, 11:40 PM
I am planning on keeping the 48 deck on it, its just sort of bothers me that this dealer has had the 26 efi in the shop for 3 weeks waiting to get it fixed. Theres more to the story, but the dealer who has the 26 efi does not know that much about Walker, alot of the time he calls the other dealer asking him ? on how to work on them. Now the other dealer has a great, great reputation for his knowledge and going out of his way to help people when there is a problem. But he really likes the 20 over the 26, simple because he nows the 20 is very reliable and the 26 has more gagets and whistles that could go wrong in the future. I just want to make sure that if i get the 20 that I will be happy with it. Toooooo many decisions, as soon as i decide i can go and get my new toy.:blob2: :blob4: :blob3:

walker-talker
09-26-2002, 11:47 PM
I have the 26 and run a 52" deck. Kick those blades in and it sounds like a jet engine....love it

MATT

captdevo
09-26-2002, 11:48 PM
hmmmm, wonder what the problem is with the 26hp efi.

i've sold a few of them, they are nice machines, added hp, no choke, fuel efficient, smooth running!!

on the other hand...there are a gazzillion 20hp kohlers running strong!!!

i'd opt for the new MTLEFI29 - Liquid-Cooled (29-HP) Electronic Fuel Injection Engine and have the baddest mow-fo around!!!!:D

Bill Davis
09-27-2002, 12:09 AM
i have a walker mower in mind that i am looking to purchase it is a 1997 20 hp. The owner is a friend of mind and he has already told me that it burns oil. What does the typical 20 hp motor run for these machines and what could i expect for an install job like this. This machine would be great to get this time of year and i have been looking for one for quite a while. Please hurry with any info because i would like to buy it buy Sunday and i have to talk my dad into it.

dukester
09-27-2002, 12:11 AM
I have a 20 with the 48". I was cutting a field that had over grown. The grass was knee high. I had the back door open on the hopper and letting the grass fly. When I finished the men cutting trees on the land next to us came over. They said they had never seen a mower like that. They though it was some kind of new bush hog. I've never used or even started another engine on a Walker but the 20hp. But I can tell you this it is one great mower.

captdevo
09-27-2002, 12:20 AM
Bill Davis

i sell them for $1300 delivered to your door! simple install, i could talk you through it!!

LawnPro in NC
09-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Bill You can get a 20 hp for about 1600.00 her in NC. If you have any mechanical ability you can changeit out yourself. About 8 bolts on including the pulleys.

I had a fire onboard dur to leaves falling on muffler and burned the wiring harness. Pulled the motor replaced the harness and was mowing in less than an hour. I have the 25 and love it.

Currier
09-27-2002, 01:46 AM
My choice would be to buy the 26 hp from the good dealer. If you don't get it you will always wonder "just how much more power could I have had...:)"

Bill Davis
09-27-2002, 08:03 AM
i know this is going to sound stupid but just because this machince has the 20 hp that doesnt mean i have to stay with it? i really like the diesel and the 26 hp. $1300 bucks isn't too bad and in my mind that is going to be a lot cheaper than buying a Giantvac and the walker can be used in the spring for scalping yards. The history on this machine is that two months ago it had a new bagger put on it, i dont know if that means it got a new blower or not but there are some other things that need to be looked at like grease fittings that need to be replaced, new belts, and probably some new tires. I really just dont know what im getting myself into it seems. Thanks for all the help, this is why i love Lawnsite!

Ax Man
09-27-2002, 09:13 AM
Sounds like it is worn out.
I'd check everything on it, or hire someone else to do it.
You don't want a machine to fix when its time to make money!

Westbrooklawn
09-27-2002, 09:26 AM
Be careful on buying a used Walker. Parts and service are HIGH! How many hours does it have? That would be some indication of the amount of wear, but more importantly you should be able to visually tell how well it was maintained. Missing grease fittings and worn belts tell me that maintenance was overlooked.

Brickman
09-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Go with the 26. I started out small and a year later had to buy bigger because I needed more production. Check out my sig line at the bottom. That is my motto concerning all the power you can get.

One other thing, don't go with dealer number 1. He sounds like bad news.

MikeLT1Z28
09-27-2002, 10:45 AM
i have the 20hp with a 42". i have heard plenty of people say that it's fine for a 48" also. the 26hp has EFI with an onboard ecu complete with a check engine light. i can't say good or bad about it though.

as far as running bigger decks and the blower, you won't. they don't presently make anything over a 48" with GHS capabilities. the blower will be turning but not moving anything thru it.

65hoss
09-27-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by kjfaulk
its just sort of bothers me that this dealer has had the 26 efi in the shop for 3 weeks waiting to get it fixed. Theres more to the story, but the dealer who has the 26 efi does not know that much about Walker, alot of the time he calls the other dealer asking him ? on how to work on them.

I'm going to stay away from the Walker part of this conversation. I do plan to point out the main problem I see here. Its the DEALER. He has a mower he wants to sell, but its been down for 3 weeks? What the heck will he do if he already has your money and you have work to get done? I think you better make your mower decision based on dealer. I'm sure the better dealer can get you the bigger motor is you insist on it.

kjfaulk
09-27-2002, 11:51 AM
I have decided to go with the dealer #2 because of all the help and knowleadge he has. And he has both mowers the 26 and the 20 so to demo either mower is not a problem, but he swares by the 20, ( but nothing is wrong with the 26) as long as the 20 will run the 48 deck with now problem, then I will be happy. Its 50/50, some say20 and some say 26, but this mechanic works on them every day and swares by the 20.
Thanks for all the input from you guys.:dizzy:

Westbrooklawn
09-27-2002, 12:00 PM
You are making the right choice for YOUR situation.....and it differs for everybody.

1. Good dealer
2. Take dealer's advice
3. Good machine (you'll love the walker after you get used to running it)
4. Everyone running the walker 20hp with 48" or smaller deck is happy with it.

You won't be sorry.....

LB Landscaping
09-27-2002, 12:17 PM
Congrats I know you won't be disappointed. Good choice on going with the better dealer too. If the other guy can't fix his own in three weeks imagine how long he will keep yours when you bring it in to be serviced. A good dealer can make all the difference. I payed a little more for mine because I know the dealer has a great reputationa and handles issues right away!!! Happy mowing!!!:blob3:

MOW ED
09-27-2002, 02:24 PM
You are the boss. I bought my 26EFI with a 42GHS deck. My buisness grew and less than 2 years later I had to buy the 52SD (monster deck with doubles) I loved the 26 with the 42 and I love it even more since I can run anything I need with it. Remember that resale of a 26 is higher than a 20 so price can't be a major issue.
I'm with Capt Devo. I will have the 29LC EFI in my next one.

I do understand your decision with the 20 and if it is what you feel comfortable with then go for it. Good Luck.

CMerLand
09-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Cant always go by the hour meters to detemine wear on a machine. Just discovered a few weeks ago that the clock on my walker has been counting tooo fast. Have owned the machine since 97 and never gave much thought to the hours, just did my oil changes and maintenance as the clock read out. After buying a new toro earlier this year I started to notice that the walker was putting more hours on it then the toro, tho the toro was being used more frequently and for longer periods.

Finally had the opportunity where I had done the oil change and personally went out to cut with the machine the next day instead of sending it out with the crew. Discovered that the hour meter was putting on 2.5 hours for 45 minutes of actual cut time. I have no idea how long its been running this way, perhaps from day one, but now have a new clock to put in it this weekend doing so will change my hours from 3200 (1700 since the new motor) back to zero.

Hope that solves that problem.

Fantasy Lawns
09-27-2002, 03:37 PM
I have 3 with the 20 HP and 1 with 26 EFI .... the 26 is the ONLY way to go ... now for us and in the future .... I loved my 20 HP but I will ONLY buy 26 EFI or the new 29 coming next year

The EFI saves easily 30% in fuel cost which for me that saves about $13-15 per week (per machine) or over $500 per year

The extra power just kicks butt in the wet thick stuff .... the 20 HP is a very nice machine you'll be happy

my Walker mech has been working on em for 12 years n he swears by the 26 like I do

Brickman
09-27-2002, 07:27 PM
You guys mowing with a 20 hp and a 48" deck saying that it does not bog down at all, are either,
1. not mowing in any kind of heavy grass at all.

2. or are mowing extremly slow so as to not bog.

I had a 25HP with the 42" and YES you can bog the motor even with that one.

Green Pastures
09-27-2002, 07:54 PM
I've been able to bog down every single mower I've ever had.

Scott

walker-talker
09-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Ditto Green Patures,
I have ran my 26, with 48" and bogged down, along with the 52", but that is in extreme case (tall and wet grass).

Hey, it's only money
MATT

kjfaulk
09-27-2002, 11:08 PM
:dizzy: :dizzy: I want to thank all of you who have replied, but I think that after considering everybodies post that I am really :dizzy: now. I now that there is advantages to both engines. What is making for a hard decision is the dealer/mechanic who has been working on them for 14 years really likes the 20. I am going to demo both units the first of next week, so that will have to be my deciding point.
Thanks again:)