PDA

View Full Version : '94 Kenworth T800 dump good deal?

icex
04-03-2011, 01:20 PM
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2760825&

$33k, 68,000 miles, CAT engine, 425 horsepower.. Good deal? I'm thinking of buying one to haul the equipment around and rock. We will be specializing in gabion basket installations so it would be a good way to haul supplies around..

SIWEL
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
It looks like a clean truck, but I don't think the mileage is correct. It looks to worn in certain areas to only have 70k on it. Still doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

For the gabion baskets, what size stone do you fill them with? That AL body will be torn to crap within days hauling bigger stone.

sbrem
04-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure on the price, but it looks like a nice truck and and it has the right specs to be a good dump truck

ksss
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM
For truck to be 17 years old and have only 70K on it seems suspicious. That is not the bed you want if your hauling rock, but if it all checked out I would say that is good deal even in this economy.

curtisfarmer
04-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Looks like a short trixale for sure though. $33K, you can barely get a 1 ton F350 for that

blowerman
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Like the other guys, mileage seems wrong. I've owned several KW quads and love them, but you'll tear the dump body apart with big rock. I'd keep looking.
If you could get in the $40K range, used quads are for sale all over WI area with lot heavier specs and newer than 17 years old.

RockSet N' Grade
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
That truck has the Hendrickson suspension - you want that no matter what truck you buy. The front axle is 14,000 lb.....a heavier front axle is desirable, but this will work. For a used truck year 2000 to earlier are the trucks of choice. Trucks eat money, so before you buy, have a mechanic go through your truck top to bottom, front to rear and see what you are really getting. It is not unusual for someone to buy a big nice looking truck and then have it suck your pocket book for another $20k in mechanicals to make it safe and roadworthy. The "standard" in big trucks is only fix it if it breaks and in this economy, the first thing to go is preventative maintenance. Buyer beware, especially when it comes to these things....

backhoe24
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
A 14K front with 46K rears and only 70K miles? This truck has been chopped and put together. A truck with factory 46K rears would have a 20K front axle. Looks like an OTR truck that they have put together to make a dump. Buyer beware..

ksss
04-03-2011, 09:58 PM
A 14K front with 46K rears and only 70K miles? This truck has been chopped and put together. A truck with factory 46K rears would have a 20K front axle. Looks like an OTR truck that they have put together to make a dump. Buyer beware..

Usually OTR trucks don't have 46 rears or 14 fronts. The suspension would certainly be air ride if it was an OTR. A VIN check would say for sure what it started out as. It could be a pieces/parts truck, but how they get 70K on the odo I am not sure. My MACK had 295K on it when I bought it and it was a 1999 and I was suspicious of that until I found a log book confirming the mileage.

icex
04-03-2011, 10:20 PM
We will probaly pass on this truck. There is a car dealer that has a international dump truck for sale with a metal bed and it says 49k miles because it was a state road truck. They only want $9k for it so it may be worth fixing up.. everything worked fine on it except the jake brake the other day but its probaly a broke wire or something minor because we have had that happened on one of our rollbacks before.

backhoe24
04-04-2011, 12:47 AM
Usually OTR trucks don't have 46 rears or 14 fronts. The suspension would certainly be air ride if it was an OTR.

Yep, the reason I said this -

A 14K front with 46K rears and only 70K miles? This truck has been chopped and put together. A truck with factory 46K rears would have a 20K front axle. Looks like an OTR truck that they have put together to make a dump.

Put together meaning they chopped the original rears and added 46K's.:rolleyes:

icex
04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Guys I'm sure you all are better at hunting trucks than I am. Can someone find me a dump truck with low miles (100k or less), , Eaton Fuller trans, CAT Engine + Engine brake, trailer brake hookups for under (preferably) $35k? I prefer Peterbuilt and Kenworth but I'll consider Sterlings or F750s.

Must have a steel body and can pull a JD 120 on a 20ton tag.

ksss
04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Finding a truck like that is basicly searching for a new truck. I may be speaking out of turn, but is a truck that new necesssary? Many trucks like that were sold when buyers were trying to beat the EPA restricted emissions on the newer trucks. There could be some laying around but would be priced high. I would consider trucks around 500K. Although the amount of miles a truck has is how they gauged, its really about maintence. Pulling engine oil and transmission oil samples, checking the blow by and have the computer record pulled (if it has one) and that will tell you a lot of what your buying. I think trying to buy a truck with less then 100K is spending more money than you need to.

icex
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Finding a truck like that is basicly searching for a new truck. I may be speaking out of turn, but is a truck that new necesssary? Many trucks like that were sold when buyers were trying to beat the EPA restricted emissions on the newer trucks. There could be some laying around but would be priced high. I would consider trucks around 500K. Although the amount of miles a truck has is how they gauged, its really about maintence. Pulling engine oil and transmission oil samples, checking the blow by and have the computer record pulled (if it has one) and that will tell you a lot of what your buying. I think trying to buy a truck with less then 100K is spending more money than you need to.

I'll consider one up to 300k depending on condition.

stuvecorp
04-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Guys I'm sure you all are better at hunting trucks than I am. Can someone find me a dump truck with low miles (100k or less), , Eaton Fuller trans, CAT Engine + Engine brake, trailer brake hookups for under (preferably) $35k? I prefer Peterbuilt and Kenworth but I'll consider Sterlings or F750s.

Must have a steel body and can pull a JD 120 on a 20ton tag.

I saw a 91 KW tandem listed for $15,000. It was older but looked really nice.

I wouldn't get so hung up on mileage. Big trucks are built to handle the miles(within reason), I think having the right specs is much more important.

bighornjd
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I saw a 91 KW tandem listed for $15,000. It was older but looked really nice.

I wouldn't get so hung up on mileage. Big trucks are built to handle the miles(within reason), I think having the right specs is much more important.

What he said^^^. Don't worry so much about mileage. Trucks get miles racked up pretty quick. That doesn't mean they are worn out necessarily. Find one with the specs you need, then look at the overall condition. If you don't know what your looking for, pay a mechanic to do it for you. A truck may have a million miles on it and still have a lot of life left. It may have already had the motor, tranny, rears rebuilt within a rather short period of time and been well taken care of. That's the stuff you need to look at. If your looking for something under 100k miles, you might as well spec a new one the way you want, cause a used one with really low miles is either gonna have an almost new price tag without the warranty of a new one, or it may not necessarily be better than a used one with more miles... Good luck.

dozerman21
04-04-2011, 08:14 PM

I agree about finding a truck with more miles. 100K is like new, and he won't find one for $35K with those specs and that new. I wouldn't buy a dump truck with 500K miles unless you get a smokin' deal and are willing to put some money into it. 500K is a sh!tload of miles for a dump truck IMO. OTR truck I would be fine with, but not a dump. I do agree that maintenance is huge. It seems like RSG got that white Kenworth for a pretty good deal. If I remember the mileage wasn't bad and it speced out good.

Dirtman2007
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I'll consider one up to 300k depending on condition.

does mine look like it has over 300K on it?

RockSet N' Grade
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Yes, I got a KW spec'd out the way I wanted it and she has got 260,000 miles on 'er. I had to have help figuring out my spec's and then finding my truck. Took me over a year to find the right one, but it is a nice one. So how do you get there to the final decision point? I asked a lot of people in the business and then found a truck mechanic that has about 14 guys working for him. I spent an hour with Dave (the mechanic) and then asked if he ran across one to give me a call. I kept checking back in to remind him that I was for real........low and behold, Dave called with the name and number of one of his clients who was down sizing. I bought the truck and am most pleased. Moral of the story : figure out your "perfect truck" first, write all the specs down and then beat the bushes to death and something will pop up that falls between perfect and affordable. That is how "Pearl" came to be sittin' in my yard and I love that truck!! Year 2000 KW, Cat C-12 550 hp, Hendrickson suspension,double extra heavy duty frame, double drop, AR 500 rock bed with high lift gate, 20,000 fronts as I recall and in overall great condition........I did boost hp from 250 or so to 550 with new turbo, exhaust and reprogramming and that made a big difference. This truck was spec'd a heavy truck and not an OTR conversion with a whimpy front end.

bighornjd
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes, I got a KW spec'd out the way I wanted it and she has got 260,000 miles on 'er. I had to have help figuring out my spec's and then finding my truck. Took me over a year to find the right one, but it is a nice one. So how do you get there to the final decision point? I asked a lot of people in the business and then found a truck mechanic that has about 14 guys working for him. I spent an hour with Dave (the mechanic) and then asked if he ran across one to give me a call. I kept checking back in to remind him that I was for real........low and behold, Dave called with the name and number of one of his clients who was down sizing. I bought the truck and am most pleased. Moral of the story : figure out your "perfect truck" first, write all the specs down and then beat the bushes to death and something will pop up that falls between perfect and affordable. That is how "Pearl" came to be sittin' in my yard and I love that truck!! Year 2000 KW, Cat C-12 550 hp, Hendrickson suspension,double extra heavy duty frame, double drop, AR 500 rock bed with high lift gate, 20,000 fronts as I recall and in overall great condition........I did boost hp from 250 or so to 550 with new turbo, exhaust and reprogramming and that made a big difference. This truck was spec'd a heavy truck and not an OTR conversion with a whimpy front end.

Do you mind if I ask what it cost to turn 550 out of a C12? I didn't even know that could be done reliably for everyday work. I've only driven 1 C12, i assume it was stock, but man what a turd. That was grossing around 85k, but still. Did you have it dyno'ed? Just curious.

RockSet N' Grade
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
BigHorn......cost was around $5k as I remember. The C-12 is not only used for trucks in a de-tuned mode, but also for marine applications. I just put the marine application parts on the motor......passed smog fine. I was told not to get too excited and pretend I was in a hot rod. I have taken this advice to heart.......now, a little accelerator goes a long way. Good pick up, better jake braking.....all and all a whole nother animal with a lot of gidde-up and plenty of reserve.

icex
04-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I think I will be looking at the 1996 international dump truck. The truck is in decent shape, just needs a new tachometer and the jake brake fixed. 49k miles old state road truck for $10k aint to bad.

icex
04-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I think I will be looking at the 1996 international dump truck. The truck is in decent shape, just needs a new tachometer and the jake brake fixed. 49k miles old state road truck for $10k aint to bad.

The international looked great....................from a distance. STarted up and ran fine until we got to the dump bed part. Hydraulics diden't work, wouldent engage. Looked under the hood, firewall completely rusted out.. doors have been bondoed and the side of the truck has had a severe impact. So still looking... might look into a F750