PDA

View Full Version : Power washing decks & homes

dave1954
04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm a small business owner in northern Indiana and have expanded my lawn care to include power washing. Purchased a commercial pressure washer. Question is..........what is a fair estimate for pressure washing a lake front home? Is it standard practice to charge by the hour, if so, how much? Or, is it more acceptable to charge by the job..if so how much for a one story 2000 sf home? I first apply a cleaner and then power wash off?

Further, what is a good water sealer (clear) to use on lake side decks?

Thanks for help??????

GTC1187
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I would have asked myself those questions before making the purchase, but I know you will want to charge by the job. You should charge around $250-300 for a house that is single story 2000 sqft.

dave1954
04-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Sorry about the ? after my last sentence. I meant it to be a period. Point I was trying to make is that some people merely power wash whereas I apply a cleaner first and then power wash......................thx for your reply.....

Sammy
04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I like Cabot and Wolman sealers.

Dr.NewEarth
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I would charge by the job, figuring in what it would cost you to rent the machine too
including pick up and drop off. I do this in case some-thing breaks and I do need to rent.

Never give them hourly. Shoot high to cover unforseen situations. If you bid by the hour and you can get the job done faster, then you are ahead.

Also, some-times they will "get back to you" after you estimate and their brother in law does the job for less.

A 3500 PSI cold water powerwasher is $59 to rent for 4 hours here.
Go for the highest PSI or you'll be there all day.

I don't usually do powerwashing. I did a 15x20 foot brick patio last year. It took an hour
plus half hour pick-up and another to return. So two hours labour plus $59 rental,
I then took it home and did my walkways and patio within the four hours too.

Charged $222.00 plus tax.

JoeKuhl
04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
We do pressure washing here in southern IL. The way we charge is by the square foot of siding. You measure the perimeter of the house then measure the average wall height on a corner. Multiply those numbers, that will give you basic square feet minus the eves. To measure the eves measure the base of the "triangle" then the center height. Multiply those numbers and divide by 2, and you've got the sq footage of the eve. Add both totals and you've got the sq footage of the whole house. We generally charge around 10cents a square foot. We also own a pressure washer, and we add on the price of any chemicals. Hope that helps. Do not use heat on vinyl siding and don't wash a house in the rain. Try to use around a 3000 to 4000 psi washer and we use an extension wand that will reach up to the top of the eves, so the whole house is very clean.