PDA

View Full Version : Crepe myrtle problem

greenman
09-26-2002, 11:36 PM
On one of my commercial prop I have several crepes that are close to the road. On two of these (they are not next to each other), they leaves are turning yellow and/or brown(could be going into dormacy though), but near the base of the trunk they are black. Somewhat like a mold. I have done a search but I can't find out what is wrong. I think they may die. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it wetfeet? The place is irrigated. They have not been sprayed with anything neither have they been ferted with anything other than what they got from the lawn fert.

KerryB
09-27-2002, 09:33 AM
Its hard to say without seeing them. Try taking a picture and post it.

greenman
09-28-2002, 01:16 AM
I knew someone was going ot say that:) . Give me a couple of days.

greenman
09-30-2002, 10:34 PM
Well, I couldn't get a picture. This is a tree-shaped crape with two trunks.One of the trunks has already died, but the other trunk looks fair. Anyway, the bark on the dead one turned black and is peeling off, all the leaves are gone too, now. Oh well,.....I guess I just get paid to replace a couple of crepe myrtles.

TurfGuyTX
09-30-2002, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a fungus. I'd do more searches. Most fungicides wouldn't hurt the plant if you tried them anyway. It could work as a preventative. Try to save them and be their hero. :)

Green Pastures
09-30-2002, 10:49 PM
I dont know what it's called but Crepe Myrtles here in Virginia are subject to a leaf rot or fungus (whatever you may call it). Anyway, it does turn the leaves yellow then brown eventually the bark as well before the tree succumbs and dies. I would check with a local herbicide supplier and bring in a sample of the affected tree. I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it.

Just a thought, you could just wait and get paid to replace these trees, but this same fungus/disease may get into the new trees as well. It could be in the soil, or in other unaffected plants nearby.

Scott

greenman
10-01-2002, 12:13 AM
My first thought is that it was wet feet, because this guy told me he was running his irrigation 200% more from last year. I told him to cut back on the watering (growing too fast for one thng-contract). Now, I just noticed that the small globe-shaped holly shrubs are dying,( just green growth on top, leaves have dropped elsewhere),in a bed that I mulched back in July. I think this guy has over-watered these as well. He's running the zones for the beds at 200% also.