PDA

View Full Version : Ruts in turf after mowing

kcomstock
04-03-2011, 11:31 PM
I have been mowing for about 5 years now and I feel like I know what I am doing. The only thing that I am hitting my head on the wall about is the ruts that the tires are leaving? I change patterns every week that is a no brainer, the ruts I am referring to are the ones on the first two perimeter laps...After mowing the same lawns for several years now I have come to notice that the outside edges along beds and fences or whatever outside edge there is, there are little ruts from the tires, either 21" or the 36" Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or what I can do to fix it? The ground isn't wet when we mow, if it is we just wait or don't mow, I was thinking about adding topsoil to raise the grade in the turf to be even wit the rest? Hitting head against wall here, I want our properties to look fantastic! Thanks everyone...

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-03-2011, 11:44 PM
What i do I don t run in the same track everytime . Might give you more trimming on the outside edges
Fall plugging helps level them out some what .

Smallaxe
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
I agree that plugging is a good idea and moving the perimeter line may be necessary, even if it means more string trimmer work...

I would add compost after plugging in the areas that are sensitive... Sounds like you had all the correct practices going on...

gasracer
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
I had a talk with my dealer some time back about this issue. He said there wasn't a lot you could do about it at certain times of the year because the ground gets so soft.

STIHL GUY
04-04-2011, 11:25 AM
change up the pattern if you can. it might take a little longer but itll look nice and be worth it in the end

jiggz
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
You rut with a 21??thats sounds almost impossible lol.. im not being a a$$ I just think thatís really weird unless the ground is always saturated.. what kind of mower is the 36? Standon? Zero? walkbehind?... I would just plug it and compost em evry now and then