PDA

View Full Version : Mulching before it rains

MDLawnman
04-04-2011, 08:30 AM
How long before a rain storm do you put down dyed mulch? 12 - 24 hrs? I've never had the problem before of the dye washing off, but have read about it here recently. Does the quality of the mulch make the difference?

PerfectEarth
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
It's going to rain on it eventually, so it shouldn't matter.

Smallaxe
04-04-2011, 08:48 AM
If there is a poblem with the dye... 12 hours or 12 minutes ain't going to matter, is it? Odd question...

Just tell the client dye is for suckers and that now you hear it is just washing into peoples' soil after a rain...

starry night
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't use that unnatural junk mulch and you won't have to worry about the color washing away.

STIHL GUY
04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
no matter how long you wait its still gonna rain sometime and the dye will fade

MDLawnman
04-04-2011, 06:13 PM
ALL good points. Many thanks!

Leo the Landscaper
04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
If you are getting a load delivered and dumped on concrete in a driveway or parking lot, time it for before a rainstorm to help clean the concrete! Otherwise does not matter.

93Chevy
04-04-2011, 08:23 PM
I mulch in the rain if I gotta finish a job. Haven't had a problem.

johnnybow
04-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Ive used real fresh colored mulch that was real juicey. And if it rained on it , it would lighten alot. If you can give it a day to dry then you should be good

mike174
04-12-2011, 03:01 AM
I mulch in the rain if I gotta finish a job. Haven't had a problem.

I've done many mulch jobs in the rain too. Dirty work, but good "light" rain work.

bam
04-12-2011, 06:34 AM
When you dig into the pile the mulch is "wet". It depends on on the air temperature, sun, etc., maybe 6-8 hrs.

The dye will leach right thru a pile when stacked. Before a storm it will be black or brown, and after, black will be gray and brown will be very natural. After the storm, when loading it is easy enough to turn the pile a few times and mix the dye back in.

Our mulch is not junk. Very organic combo. It is all tree debris, and no pallets.

Once the mulch is layed down, once it initially dries out it is fine.
We have mulched when it was misting out, and the next day it looked like the mulch had been there for a year. We have also completed jobs, then it rained a few hours later and same effect.

For whatever reason, once it spreads, the mulch needs a bit of time to bind to the wood.

We know the habits of dyed mulch having spread 7,000 + yards a season.