PDA

View Full Version : Securing Fuel Tank?

bighornjd
04-04-2011, 08:04 PM
I feel like a true professional now, I finally put a fuel transfer tank in the back of my pickup.:laugh: 5 gallon cans were getting old and the lack of filtration always bothered me...

On to my question: Everything I read says the tank is supposed to be secured to the bed. It's a steel L-shaped tank - 100gal. It has two mounting tabs with holes in front and back. There is no way to access the front ones once the tank is in the bed.:dizzy: My crossover toolbox sits up about 2 inches off the bed sides now. I stacked 2 pieces of 1" aluminum square tubing to fill the gap and through bolted them through the box and the bed sides to secure the toolbox. My bed is Rhino-lined and the tank won't hardly slide even when I want it to, and it's still empty. I don't see how it can go anywhere with the toolbox holding it, especially when it has fuel in it. Obviously if I rolled the truck, it could be a different story and it would likely come out. But I can't figure out how to get bolts in the front of the tank, and I don't see how just doing the back will help much in that scenario. I don't really want the holes in my bed unless absolutely necessary. What does everyone else do and do you think it will be fine the way it is? Thanks.

Pic - probably not much help:
http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp149/bighornjd/Mobile%20Uploads/0404111746.jpg

bobcat_ron
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Just bolt the tabs down that can be reached, when I helped my brother do one of this trucks, we pre-drilled the holes that we couldn't reach with a slightly bigger hole, and used 2 12" socket extensions and some blind nuts to hold those down.

icex
04-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Around here they use ratchet straps to secure them in the back of company leased trucks.

bighornjd
04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Well thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I don't like the sound of either of your ideas...:laugh:

Nothing personal...:laugh:

icex
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Well thanks for the quick replies, unfortunately I don't like the sound of either of your ideas...:laugh:

Nothing personal...:laugh:

Actualy the ratchet straps are effective. May be your only option, that or bolt it which you said you don't want to do.

bighornjd
04-04-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm looking for something rather permanent, that looks good, but I don't want it to be a royal PITA if I want to take it out. I guess I should really bolt it in, it just seems like the PITA I'm trying to avoid. I guess I might as well though, afterall i did go ahead and hard wire the pump to the battery and put a toggle switch in the cab... I'll come up with something.

icex
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for something rather permanent, that looks good, but I don't want it to be a royal PITA if I want to take it out. I guess I should really bolt it in, it just seems like the PITA I'm trying to avoid. I guess I might as well though, afterall i did go ahead and hard wire the pump to the battery and put a toggle switch in the cab... I'll come up with something.

I hear ya, we are going to mount a 100 gallon fuel tank on our tag trailer and run electrical hookups to the back of the dump truck we buy and then just use a plug to hook the pump up when we need it, that way it is secure on the trailer.

Dirtman2007
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
My 100 gallon tanks been sitting in the back of my truck for 7 years now and its not moved any and there's nothing holding it in place. I've got a tool box like yours too and that is secured to the truck but there's still a 2" gap between the side of the tank and tool box where I keep the hose and I've never seen it move.

bighornjd
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
My 100 gallon tanks been sitting in the back of my truck for 7 years now and its not moved any and there's nothing holding it in place. I've got a tool box like yours too and that is secured to the truck but there's still a 2" gap between the side of the tank and tool box where I keep the hose and I've never seen it move.

Do you have a bed liner if so what kind? I could see a plastic liner or bare metal bed maybe allowing it to slide, but you can't hardly get icecubes to slide on this dang Rhinolining. It actually pisses me off sometimes trying to load or unload stuff cause you can't slide it. Bout killed myself trying to get a d@mn 6ft skidsteer toothbar in there the other day. I just got back from my father-in-laws on an extremely bumpy back road, tank still empty, and it didn't budge at all. I think I might just let it ride the way it is then. If it works for Chris I'm sure it will for me. Thanks all.

5speedpsd
04-05-2011, 12:48 AM
never straped mine in in the pickup. I take it in and out all the time and its fine I always have a little fuel in there which is just enough to hold it maybe 10 gallons. mine is only a 50 gallon but theres nothing around it either, no tool box. its the cube so it can't fall over. Just took it out today for the first time since mid december hadn't moved an inch. I have a plastic bed liner also and it doesnt slide. The only time I would worry about it is if the truck were to roll over. Personally I would just leave it alone, maybe if you want throw a strap on it where you can't see it from the truck, maybe beneith the tool box.

Dirtman2007
04-05-2011, 09:30 AM
mines just sitting on the factory metal bed, I dont have a bed liner under it. I wouldnt worry I think you'll be fine. The only way for it to come out is you flip the truck, then you have more to worry about then the tank falling out haha.

bighornjd
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
mines just sitting on the factory metal bed, I dont have a bed liner under it. I wouldnt worry I think you'll be fine. The only way for it to come out is you flip the truck, then you have more to worry about then the tank falling out haha.

My thoughts exactly. Even if the tank doesn't fall out, it's probably gonna leak all over the place anyhow. I think I'll leave it alone, just needed some reassurance from the experts. If you guys don't have problems with plastic liners or no liner at all, I know I should be fine. Thanks again.

Now if you can tell me how to make the rain stop so I can get something done, please advise...:laugh:

Anybody wanna buy some mud? :rolleyes:

Dirtman2007
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
My thoughts exactly. Even if the tank doesn't fall out, it's probably gonna leak all over the place anyhow. I think I'll leave it alone, just needed some reassurance from the experts. If you guys don't have problems with plastic liners or no liner at all, I know I should be fine. Thanks again.

Now if you can tell me how to make the rain stop so I can get something done, please advise...:laugh:

Anybody wanna buy some mud? :rolleyes:

Yeah tell me about the rain, why do you think I'm on here at this time... its raining!

hvy 1ton
04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Yeah tell me about the rain, why do you think I'm on here at this time... its raining!

It's not like a little more mud would be a problem. Either the water level is too high or a lawn is involved. I'm gonna go with the lawn.

bighornjd
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM

WTF, get out there, I thought mud was your bread and butter...:laugh:

Dirtman2007
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
WTF, get out there, I thought mud was your bread and butter...:laugh:

I was busy getting a $3,000 liner installed in the dump truck so my fuel tank wont slide around in it :drinkup:

Dirt Digger2
04-06-2011, 08:55 PM
my old truck it was bolted with 2 bolts in the rear...new truck had a factory spray in liner, figured I would just put it in there and do nothing.

Problem is when you have a half tank or less it doesn't have enough weight (in my truck anyway) to keep it from sliding so when i would accelerate sometimes it would slide back and hit my tool box, thus having the toolbox slide just a hair as well (now an inch behind my toolbox the bedrails are all torn up)...then the thing would be tight up against the box that I couldn't open the lid with out sliding the tank back

so I bolted it with 2 bolts again...no problems...2 small 1/2 inch holes in your bed will never be a problem

Krafty
04-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I have just the tank in my truck right now, no tool box, and no bolts and the thing has never moved an inch.