PDA

View Full Version : what to do when it rains

new to landscape
04-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I would like to know what you guys do when it rains on service days? do u cut anyway or do u wait till it stops then cut or is that just a skipped service area?

knox gsl
04-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Sharpen that stack of blades on the work bench, catch up on office work, PM equipment, and then pickup mowing where I left off ASAP.

new to landscape
04-05-2011, 12:56 AM
thAanks for the reply

Green Feet Lawn
04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
We do not mow in the rain. But we do other work as long as it isn't pouring rain. We do trimming or brush removal. I usually like to do maintnance on equipment then.

GMLC
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Grab a rain coat. But dont mow if its going to rut up the clients lawn. I will mow in light rain. Other than that catch up on paperwork.

Nightscaper
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a rule for mowing when it rains. Don't mow till the roads are dry. Unless its saturated and ganna rut the lawn . I also find morning dew is worse then rain as far as clumping goes.
I love to do hedges when it rains. Unless its a thunder storm. Then standing on a ladder holding up metal hedge clippers is a bad idea. So then its paper work and calling customers . Getting parts for repairs .

ygim
04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
I try to maintain equipment, order parts that i need.

Dr.NewEarth
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
We keep to our routines like clockwork. Our demographic is hoa/strata complexes.
If you cut on a different day or at a different time, they get confused.
The yards are then strewn with toys, hoses, furniture and my favorite...
dog excrement.

We post notice that these any other items are to be removed from all lawns and service areas by 8 am on their regular service day or their yard
may not be cut.

If it is a dog problem, we fine them fifty bucks and either cut around it
or don't do it that week.
I have a friend at the landscape association the bills 65 dollars.

The council pays us at the end of the month, and the fifty dollars is charged to the strata lot, just like if they did not pay their monthly service fees to the strata.

When they sell their unit, there is a lien applied to that unit and all fines and unpaid monies owing are returned to the stratas account.

These things are also agreed to in our signed contract.

So, yes we cut rain or shine. We keep to a weekly routine and do not work Saturday
and Sunday. Here we have a daily limit of eight hours and a weekly maximum of 40 before overtime has to be paid. All tasks are timed and the times are adhered to or
else there is a job opening for another person on the task.

I use lighter mowers on our wet sites. I found though, that no matter how light the machine it could leave a rut. It depends alot on the site conditions.

go Canucks
All you need are good waterproof safety boots, raingear and a car to sit in on your break if you get cold.

Groomer
04-05-2011, 04:53 PM
ice down the beverage cooler.

Dr.NewEarth
04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Groomer! Where are you parked?

Groomer
04-05-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm generally parked where I need to be-although there are rare times when I'm parked and shouldn't be.

93Chevy
04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
We just grab rain gear unless it's pouring all day or storming.

jsslawncare
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Watch TV...

Turf Commando
04-05-2011, 10:37 PM
i'm generally parked where i need to be-although there are rare times when i'm parked and shouldn't be.

lol.........

ELS LLC
04-06-2011, 11:00 AM
We mow rain or shine. If we never mowed in the rain we would be out of business. I can see if a guy has a handful of accounts but a big mowing company has to mow in all conditions.

Groomer
04-06-2011, 08:03 PM
We never did install lightning rods on our equipment, although we did look into it.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't mow in the rain. Most residential customers don't like green walks or drives, etc. I can see mowing commercial in the rain to keep on schedule and most people don't pay much attention to a mess from mowing in the rain at a commercial site. I've seen some nasty looking results on commercial property when they were mowed in the rain that would never make it with my customers!

deere615
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM
I mow once in a while and think of any jobs I currently have scheduled I can do in the rain without making a mess. like someone else mentioned I like doing hedges in the rain. I hate them and really hate them when its hot out so once in a while I do them in the rain. Plus I usually have running around to do maintenance, cleanup the shop paper work etc

GrassesGuy
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Drink Beer :drinkup:

the ace
04-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Enjoy the down time, it doesn't last long.

ernieknows
04-08-2011, 05:03 PM
what about aeration
rain softens the lawn

Patriot Services
04-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Get depressed knowing my day off for the week went bye bye. Then get over it and spend quality time with wife.
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 12:58 PM
continue mowing, take an extra long lunch break, unless it really down pouring, then I won't work, and but if its raining lightly mulching is nice, shrub pruning, I don't have a full week of work yet, so I can just hang if it rains, but I prefer to keep working if I can, and the tiger cub is light so it doesn't really make ruts, like a turf tiger does. It will sink in a good 3" on one lawn I have but it comes back up by next week and the customer understands how wet his yard gets and that I like to stick to schedule for his lawn so theres's no complaints. but if it was been raining hard all night, I like wait until road is dry to cut, not that I ever have clumping issues from wet grass, but Im not cutting 50+ lawns just yet, so it won't effect my route if I start a little later.