PDA

View Full Version : A Little Nervous?

ron mexico75
04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
I have usually stuck to doing basic lawn maintenance and aerating. I do however have a talent for designing landscapes. I've taken college courses in botany, plant ID and some others several years ago so I know my plant material pretty well.

I have totally renovated and landscaped about 4 houses that I have lived in over the years and receive so many compliments from neighbors and passers by. Anyways, the point I'm getting to is that I was asked to give an estimate at a person’s house who heard I did landscaping. This is a TOTAL remake of a front yard and foundation of the home. I have been working on the design, plant material and estimate of time for a week now and just finished up. I meet with the potential customer soon to present my idea and price.

My question is; did any of you get a little nervous and kind of doubt yourself on your first big install project? I'm second guessing myself and thinking I'm charging too much and that maybe I'm in over my head. I know what needs to be done but just wondering if I'm in the same boat as others as far as feeling a little nervous.

Lefet
04-05-2011, 09:00 AM
I always feel a little "nervous" when doing something for the first time or for a new client. As long as you know you're fair in your pricing, you're priced right for the job and believe in yourself and your capabilities, you should be fine.
I think butterflies are good at times, means you have a conscience.
Best wishes, now go LAND THAT JOB!!
(And of course we're going to require before and after pictures so don't try using that ole "I forgot the camera" excuse!)

rywnygc
04-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Im going through that too Ron. I have lots of experience landscping for other companies, but I have stuck to maintenance on my own so far. This year I am taking on some scaping accounts and I'm getting them a lot quicker than I thought I would. Although it's nice to see what I'm making, it has been stressful to take on this new task.

ron mexico75
04-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Well I guess some nervousness is a good thing then. If anything, I over estimated my time to allow for anything unexpected. I guess I could tell this to the potential customer that I keep track of my time and the total could always be lower but not higher then what I will be presenting. Is that a good idea or just not say anything at all like that?

grassman88
04-05-2011, 02:57 PM
i just tell them its an estimate not a quote it could be lower or even a little higher depending on what goes on the job, and make sure you tell them anything added on after the estimate will be extra ive had people try to add small things after for no extra charge

ron mexico75
04-05-2011, 03:25 PM
i just tell them its an estimate not a quote it could be lower or even a little higher depending on what goes on the job, and make sure you tell them anything added on after the estimate will be extra ive had people try to add small things after for no extra charge

Good idea, thanks for replying.

ron mexico75
04-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Well, let me try again. The meeting was canceled shortly after I posted and is reset for today. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted if I get the job.

ron mexico75
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM
I always feel a little "nervous" when doing something for the first time or for a new client. As long as you know you're fair in your pricing, you're priced right for the job and believe in yourself and your capabilities, you should be fine.
I think butterflies are good at times, means you have a conscience.
Best wishes, now go LAND THAT JOB!!
(And of course we're going to require before and after pictures so don't try using that ole "I forgot the camera" excuse!)

Just an update, I got an email yesterday and they accepted my proposal! I am excited! They want to wait until August to start which is fine with me. This is the first time I have drawn and planned a total renovation and I got accepted. Had to share it.

grassman88
04-29-2011, 06:11 PM
congrats !!

32vld
04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Way to go.

nativeCO
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
You know what your doing. You sound like a smart guy. Keep your price fair. There's too many bastards out there who undercut everyone else, which contributes to the fact that the economy sucks right now. Don't be cheap, Don't be expensive, be fair. Sleep well at night.

ron mexico75
09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Well it's been a while but I have started this project. Been working on it for a few days now. Started spraying in August and started the tear down 2 weeks ago.

I have purchased all the palnt material and stepping stones for the pathway. It was an s.o.b. tilling up all those liriope roots, tree roots and best of all......removing all the freaking gravel that was put down in the beds and all over the front area about 20 plus years ago. That front bed by the street was all ivy as well, what fun it is to remove ivy....yeah right!

Anyways, this is the very first time I have posted pics of any of the work I have done. Still have work to do obviously but here are some before and after pics up to the curerent state of the project.

ron mexico75
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
here are 2 more

Glenn Lawn Care
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I always get a little nervous or hesitant when submitting a bid... I think it's because I want the job that bad. I always get the feeling that I'm either to low or high with my numbers until I get the ok.

White Gardens
09-27-2011, 12:35 PM
To me, nervousness and self doubt shows true character in this business.

Basically it shows you want to do a quality job and your best at what you want to do.

It's taken me a long time to really get over any nervousness. Occasionally it creeps in every now and then, but it keeps me honest.

The ultimate key is to never show your client any of those nervous signs. The more confident you are during consultations, the more likely you are to land the job. Never say no to anything ultimately.

Another thing I've noticed in my progression is that I'm now not so modest of my work. I've taken the compliments I hear as they are and use that as ammunition against my own self doubts. Just got to make sure not to cross the fine line of being proud or cocky.

ron mexico75
09-27-2011, 12:45 PM
To me, nervousness and self doubt shows true character in this business.

Basically it shows you want to do a quality job and your best at what you want to do.

It's taken me a long time to really get over any nervousness. Occasionally it creeps in every now and then, but it keeps me honest.

The ultimate key is to never show your client any of those nervous signs. The more confident you are during consultations, the more likely you are to land the job. Never say no to anything ultimately.

Another thing I've noticed in my progression is that I'm now not so modest of my work. I've taken the compliments I hear as they are and use that as ammunition against my own self doubts. Just got to make sure not to cross the fine line of being proud or cocky.

Thank you, very good advice!

White Gardens
09-27-2011, 12:53 PM
What are you doing in this area Ron?

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=230714&stc=1&d=1317134457

ron mexico75
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
pachysandra

The paint markings are more or less to give the homeowner an idea of what it will look like before it fills in.