PDA

View Full Version : Distributing the load on a tandem axle

vencops
04-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Am I better off trying to load my WB in front of.....or behind my ZTR on a 14' Tandem Axle trailer? I also have a (basically) 2'X2' basket that I'm guessing weighs close to 200# on the front of the trailer. It's typically loaded with a backpack blower; a handheld blower; etc....so, let's say another 100#'s.

I just got my WB. My "gut" tells me to load it, first (up-front, with my 21"). My mind's telling me the ZTR on the back is a lot of weight back there.

I'm guessing my WB (it's a Husq. 36") weighs in the neighborhood of 400#. I think my ZTR weighs around 1500#.

Any help would be appreciated. If it helps, I'm pulling this with a 2003 Toyota Tundra.

My other question is.....is there a way to beef up the rear shocks on the truck? It looks (fully loaded) like it's sitting down in the back.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
04-05-2011, 08:56 AM
you don t beef up shocks to carry a load
You probably need over load leaf springs

FryDaddy
04-05-2011, 10:40 AM
I would say put the WB up front & ztr in back as your doing now. but you can get a set of add on airbags (helper bags) for for truck, they should help out alot.
Posted via Mobile Device

vencops
04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I've done a little research. The Toyotas aren't known for "beefy" rear springs (even on the TRD model I have). I'm gonna have another HD leaf installed, Friday.

Thanks, again.

SNAPPER MAN
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
It depends. I always put my ztr up front because with the extra tongue weight the trailer tows and handles much better.
Posted via Mobile Device

organiclawncanada
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
If you are looking to beef up the suspension look into some Timbrens. They replace your stock bump stops and take about an hour to put in, if you are able to do yourself.

cylinder3missfire
04-06-2011, 10:45 PM
As a personal rule I try for a 60 40 split from the centerline between the axles. Not always achievable, but a little heavier on the tongue will help with tracking/handling as stated earlier. As for the "sag" your research is correct, trucks these days are glorified cars. Manufacturers focus on the ride, hence the softer springs. Older trucks ride rough because they were designed to be used as trucks. Stiffer springs=stiffer ride. You will notice it with your new springs too.

Southside Lawn Services
04-07-2011, 11:56 PM
WB up front, then center the ZTR directly over the rear axles with the rear wheels hanging over the rear axle if need be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
ztr up front you need a 60 40 weight distribution when towing most of the time you wont be able to achieve that so just put the heavier on the tounge too much weight on the rear will cause the trailer to sway

Southside Lawn Services
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
ZTR up front can over load the tongue weight, making the rear of your truck to sag. Evenly distribute the weigh over the length of the trailer with the heaviest over the axles.
Posted via Mobile Device

XLS
04-08-2011, 01:18 PM
ok it makes more since to me to load the least used item first and put the weight over the axle or slightly behind the rear axle and this will also help lift the truck ride to a proper lever possibly saving on the need for springs . we run 14' trailers and with the axle on it where it is we load a 60'' ztr in the rear and a walker in the front with the walker facing forward to place the weight toward the axle and it gets pulled by a ford ranger and it dont sag like your refering to . one simple way to think about it also is you need a minimum of 150 lbs of tongue weight on a trailer so load it and move the load back and forth untill you can just barely pick it up with 1 hand ....

doubleedge
04-09-2011, 11:55 AM
ok it makes more since to me to load the least used item first and put the weight over the axle or slightly behind the rear axle and this will also help lift the truck ride to a proper lever possibly saving on the need for springs . we run 14' trailers and with the axle on it where it is we load a 60'' ztr in the rear and a walker in the front with the walker facing forward to place the weight toward the axle and it gets pulled by a ford ranger and it dont sag like your refering to . one simple way to think about it also is you need a minimum of 150 lbs of tongue weight on a trailer so load it and move the load back and forth untill you can just barely pick it up with 1 hand ....

The tongue weight should also be about 10% of the load's weight. If not, there is an increased possibility for trailer sway.