PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Establishing Perennial Peanuts ?????

Ric
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
I have done some research and found Herbicide & Fertilizers etc. But I also found the High cost of buying Plugs.

Math: It takes Approx just short of 20,000 plugs at 18 inches spacing a little over a year to grow in. I am told planting a just at the start of Rainy season in June you should have a mature stand by Sept of the following year. Or a 15 month grow in if planted at the perfect window.

Current Price of plugs is $ 0.50 or acre cost of $ 10,000. Maybe a contract grow you could buy them for $ 0.25 or $ 5,000 per acre. Then there is the labor and other installation costs.

Sprigeingis an other method of establishing ground covered. So my question is there any Sprige suppliers of Perennial Peanuts? Or do I try and find a farmer and talk him into cutting Peanut hay and plant it Fresh over tilled soil.

zturncutter
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
I know where there are several lawns of it, just to the west of the Peace river off Masters Road in Desoto County. Could it be mowed and bagged and used to start a new lawn ?

zturncutter
04-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Give John @ Dee Oaks a call, he says he may know some one over in Lake Placid that could contract grow for you. 863-494-3444, cell 941-380-1110.

Ric
04-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I know where there are several lawns of it, just to the west of the Peace river off Masters Road in Desoto County. Could it be mowed and bagged and used to start a new lawn ?

Allen

Thanks but unlike Bermuda it is the under ground Rhizomes that must be spriged in order to propagate. Those rhizomes must be plowed out of the ground in order to replant. Hey if you were talking an Exotic Bermuda and I had a market, I would take you up on the offer.

In the Heavy rain of today I did a lot of researching and think I might of found a Source just south of Tampa that can supply the Ecoturf Perennial Peanut Rhizomes for sprigging. I am waiting for a E mail with Prices now. Actually I send the guy a Satellite picture of the property to give me a turn key bid. I really don't want to get involved with doing the job. One major problem is the shelve life of the Rhizomes in June when the rainy season is best for grow ins.

BTW John & Dee are great people. I will give them a call in the morning.

Landscape Poet
04-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Ric,

Your estimated cost appear to be about correct according to this document.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep135

I would suggest contacting the City of Oviedo and Winter Springs and looking into what methods they are using to establish as they have both started taking roadway medians to it, maybe they could share their supplier info with you? Just a thought.

Ric
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Mikey

My Customer is a Computer programmer and former College Professor who researched this long before I got involved. Maybe I should of said that in my first post. But the information I am seeking doesn't appear to be on university websites. Hopefully I know people who know people who can either do the job or know someone who can help.

Up date:

I am still waiting on a Turn Key bid but I have gotten Planting material cost down to $ 1500 and acre by using the Rhizome sprigging method. But more important is the fact it is only a 2 hour drive away. This guy is in Ruskin Fla Near Tampa and also does Bermuda sprigging. Therefore I am beginning to see a Economic solution to my customer's problem.

Landscape Poet
04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Ric,

Was just trying to help. Keep us updated on how this turns out. I actually just had someone else mention this as a ground cover to me for a property and am interested in your findings as at first glance I was taken back by the cost too.

Ric
04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Ric,

Was just trying to help. Keep us updated on how this turns out. I actually just had someone else mention this as a ground cover to me for a property and am interested in your findings as at first glance I was taken back by the cost too.

Mikey

There are some thing I don't need help on. Searching the net is one of those things.

Landscape Poet
04-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Mikey

There are some thing I don't need help on. Searching the net is one of those things.

Ric,

I am proud that age 70 you know how to use "the google machine". :laugh: The internet is something a lot of older folks just do not have a interest in.

Ric
04-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Ric,

I am proud that age 70 you know how to use "the google machine". :laugh: The internet is something a lot of older folks just do not have a interest in.

Mikey

I know you are a AOL expert but Google "Usenet". I was on the Internet before there were website and web based forums. BTW Usenet is where all the smart are, If you can figure out how to access it, maybe you can go there too. Usenet is called the Dark side of the Internet and where the real Hackers hang out.

Ric
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Mikey

I know you are a AOL expert but Google "Usenet". I was on the Internet before there were website and web based forums. BTW Usenet is where all the smart are, If you can figure out how to access it, maybe you can go there too. Usenet is called the Dark side of the Internet and where the real Hackers hang out.

Mikey

I realize Life is tougher for you but now that I taught you a little bit about Usenet. Next thing you need to learn about are the Russia Crack sites where you can get activation codes for all Popular software.

BTW Now that you know my Dog can Hunt, you should also understand I don't need your AOL style web surfing.

PS I do it all with Windows 98 SE and a old HP tower that has parts from 3 different broken computers to make one. Of course I do have several new computers that stay off the net and only do bookkeeping. Yep I am 70 but there is still fire in the furnace.

South Florida Lawns
04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Round here they come in big rolls like turf and get rolled out in a month they are nice and green. Thats the way I'd do it except frost makes peanuts look worse than dormant grass.

Landscape Poet
04-08-2011, 06:00 AM
Mikey

I realize Life is tougher for you but now that I taught you a little bit about Usenet. Next thing you need to learn about are the Russia Crack sites where you can get activation codes for all Popular software.

BTW Now that you know my Dog can Hunt, you should also understand I don't need your AOL style web surfing.

PS I do it all with Windows 98 SE and a old HP tower that has parts from 3 different broken computers to make one. Of course I do have several new computers that stay off the net and only do bookkeeping. Yep I am 70 but there is still fire in the furnace.

See there is a use for the "Old Bull" . I was not aware of this usenet that you speak of. Interesting and I will dip into it when I have time. Not sure how much as I am not nearly as up on the net and cpu's as I was in my earlier years, you see I am just a simple lawn boy.

As far as popular software though Ric - there is a easy approach to that if you want it. Torrent sites are loaded if you know which ones to use. For example there is current site that Landscape Pro sitting out there for the taking - the torrent has a file that has about 15 cracked codes in the notes from my understanding. This is a fast and easy approach for simple lawn boys like myself as someone else has already did all the leg work for us. It is worth noting that torrents are dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and have the proper security software in place and of course you could potentially get a nasty note from your ISP.

Hope all is well with your Ric.

Michael

Ric
04-08-2011, 09:24 AM
See there is a use for the "Old Bull" . I was not aware of this usenet that you speak of. Interesting and I will dip into it when I have time. Not sure how much as I am not nearly as up on the net and cpu's as I was in my earlier years, you see I am just a simple lawn boy.

As far as popular software though Ric - there is a easy approach to that if you want it. Torrent sites are loaded if you know which ones to use. For example there is current site that Landscape Pro sitting out there for the taking - the torrent has a file that has about 15 cracked codes in the notes from my understanding. This is a fast and easy approach for simple lawn boys like myself as someone else has already did all the leg work for us. It is worth noting that torrents are dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and have the proper security software in place and of course you could potentially get a nasty note from your ISP.

Hope all is well with your Ric.

Michael

Mikey

Like I said Life is Tougher for you. Bittorrent is for amateurs. I watch first run movies BEFORE they play in theaters. All major Movie Critics receive DVD of the Movie before they are ever released. Those DVD end up on various News Groups. As far as Landscape Pro goes I got that one and many more like it years ago.

Russia Crack site even have Serial Crack Generators. These Cracks work off of other information entered into the Program. That means for the same program each person will have a different Crack.

I will give you a hint. Your E mail Outlook Express has the ability to access News Groups (Usenet) but is so slow you might go crazy trying to find stuff.

tallrick
04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
WOW the early computer memories! Commodore 128 and 300 baud modem, bulletin boards, and the like giving way to searching with veronica, or browsing with lynx. To this date there are still things not available on the internet that the home book collection has. As for rhizoma peanuts I have seen them used on papaya farms as a ground cover. Bermuda grass seems to displace it though.

Ric
04-09-2011, 06:50 PM
WOW the early computer memories! Commodore 128 and 300 baud modem, bulletin boards, and the like giving way to searching with veronica, or browsing with lynx. To this date there are still things not available on the internet that the home book collection has. As for rhizoma peanuts I have seen them used on papaya farms as a ground cover. Bermuda grass seems to displace it though.

TI here. Yes Bulletin Boards are now called News Groups, They have no Moderators and you can pound on the idiots. I took Fortran and then Cobalt back then for my First College degree not green industry related. Litton Industry took a swing at Computers also and I did some Programing on some of there smaller computers that was there proprietary system that I forget the name of. In fact I took a 2 week course from Litton in the A hole of the world East Orange NJ. Today you can buy a pocket model for $ 10.00 that will do more than those machines that cost $ 10,000 in 1970. I have forgotten more than I know now about Computers.

My search has found Bermuda is a big problem but Fusilade will control it as a Over The Top application. Cost is the big factor and Peanuts grown for Forage really don't care if there is some Bermuda. Forage varieties of Peanuts may just out compete Common Bermuda but not Bermuda varieties grown for hay.

tallrick
04-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I have forgotten more than I know now about Computers.

That's just what I have been telling my friends for years. I too had to take Fortran to get my bachelor's degree in engineering, and said it was obsolete at the time! Cobol was more for the business types as much as I remember. My Kaypro "portable" had CP/M on it and we had Dos and Unix at the colleges. After starting a business in IT in the 90's and in video surveillance in the 2000's I have lost interest in tech. Somehow this subject of legumes as ground covers seems more interesting. I talked to a friend who has this around his papaya trees and he says he never planted it. Evidently it came with the horse manure and shavings that he uses as mulch.