PDA

View Full Version : Tips on front mount leaf loader

cirrus_player
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I've been thinking about installing a leaf loader on he front of my dump truck to load debris into the box. Anyone have any advice on this? What would be a good set up?

godzilla
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I know a lot of guys use the plow mounts to attach loaders to the front. I use a 2" reciever for mine.

nobagger
04-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I've been thinking about installing a leaf loader on he front of my dump truck to load debris into the box. Anyone have any advice on this? What would be a good set up?

This is the best way to go I think. We have ours mounted on a custom frame that mounts right into the plow frame. With a little adjustment to the loader so its level we were all set. We used (I think) 6" pvc pipe to the box. Its never clogged yet. I have pictures floating around in here of it. Try "leaf loader pics" and "more leaf loader pics". I can't believe more guys don't do it this way. I never need to send 2 guys to dump b/c there's no 300lb loader to move around.

punt66
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
here is a tip. Dont do it its illegal.

betmr
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
We have done it, Like 3 years ago. We have the round pipe grill guard for our plow. Remove the grill guard, Made a big "U" out of 2" Galvanized pipe and 2, 90* Ells. It fit right into the Grill Guard receiver. Drilled holes in the Galvanized, for the pins to hold it in. Had to add 2 pieces of 6x6 to raise the vac, Lag bolted to 6x6's.

No more have to dig out half the load & mounting unit on back. Now, it's just open 'er up, raise the bed, & drive away. What used to take 3 men, about an hour to do, can now be done by 1 man, in 10 to 15 minutes. Can drive along curb lines, w/man vacuuming as we go. Best thing we've done, to improve clean ups.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Your right, depending on the officer your dealing with! It is definatly blocking the drivers view area, but it is a gray area with most officers or troopers. I have asked a few and have gotten a few differnt answers. I use an industrial four wheel cart to wheel the loader to the receiver, can mount and dismount by myself. It takes just a few minutes and when not in use the loader is in the security and out of the weather in the trailer. I hope to one day have a dump trailer and then I will mount the loader on the front of the trailer with a removable "doghouse" to keep it out of the weather when not in use.

punt66
04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Your right, depending on the officer your dealing with! It is definatly blocking the drivers view area, but it is a gray area with most officers or troopers. I have asked a few and have gotten a few differnt answers. I use an industrial four wheel cart to wheel the loader to the receiver, can mount and dismount by myself. It takes just a few minutes and when not in use the loader is in the security and out of the weather in the trailer. I hope to one day have a dump trailer and then I will mount the loader on the front of the trailer with a removable "doghouse" to keep it out of the weather when not in use.

You not only have to worry about getting a ticket you have to think of the liability. If someone was involved in an accident $hit can hit the fan fast.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
punt66 another good point. I thought about the front mount a few times, but with the ambiguity I get from the police/troopers I decided to just keep doing things the way I have. For those who have a front mount, or thinking of one, I'm wondering what the insurance company might say about it.

cirrus_player
04-11-2011, 12:54 AM
yeah, i guess the legalities was my maine concern. im in a small town and the usual DOT officer is super anal!! if hes cool, then im pretty much good to go. but thats a good point come a potential accident, my insurance is def gray in that area probably since its not all that typical. however, the local municipality that handles vacuuming the storm drains has a truck designed with such an "obstruction". they however have coverage none of us could afford for such a thing. I think im goin to use the dump trailer idea since i need an equip hauler for my new skid steer. not to mention the multiple use and additional material capacity.

Thanks guys, this site is amazing. Competition makes things better (something one of my competitors told me) i guess this is pretty much the closest to a union well ever see!! lol :)

thanks again everyone!!!

forestfireguy
04-11-2011, 01:26 PM
We mount ours up above the cab in the fall. On the passenger side, with a remote gas can and controls where they can be reached.

nobagger
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM

Its not illegal in PA at least. I use to work at a PA State Police Headquarters and believe me the LT who welded it up did the research. There are maximum measurements you must be under but again not illegal in PA. It might be illegal to leave the long tube on while driving but no one has ever said anything to me. Look at a tree trimming truck, they usually have a huge frame sticking out or a sewer cleaning truck with the huge roll of suction tube off the front end. Best advise I can give you is go to your local State Police agency and talk to the DOT officer.

nobagger
04-11-2011, 09:56 PM
punt66 another good point. I thought about the front mount a few times, but with the ambiguity I get from the police/troopers I decided to just keep doing things the way I have. For those who have a front mount, or thinking of one, I'm wondering what the insurance company might say about it.

OMG Bob, are you serious? My insurance agent came over to my house to drop paper work off and mine was on and he thought that was the neatest thing.