PDA

View Full Version : Spreader Calibration fiasco

Retro67
04-10-2000, 10:32 PM
Here's the scoop. I calibrated my spreader this AM. I used &quot;medium&quot; sized particles to calibrate with (plain old polyon coated NPK.) <p>So I then adjust the spreader for &quot;fine&quot; particles since that is what I was spreading this afternoon. I followed the recommendations of the manual for my Prizelawn Bigfoot spreader. I got 1/3 of the way through and was nearly out of material that should have been spread over the whole area. <p>What is the problem here? Has anyone else run into this? I am thinking of purchasing a Lesko and wonder if it will be much less hassle free?<p>John

MOW ED
04-11-2000, 06:27 AM
John,<br>I have a Bigfoot also and have found that you have to play with the settings and use a tarp to figure out how much you are using. My model is the HVO so I can open or close the third port. I have mostly been spreading medium so I cant help you with the fines. I came within a half a bag (25lbs) this initial round and my setting for award w/team pro was H it gave about 4# per 1k. I figured pretty close. Its my first year using it.

steveair
04-11-2000, 07:02 AM
I've had the same problem with some of my spreaders too. Sometimes, you just have to keep a close eye on it too. I always look at the level in spreader to make sure something isn't astray.<p>A lot of times when unloading the spreader, someone will bang it on something and knock something out of whack. Had this happen a lot. After 1 pass, you notice that a quarter of the spread is gone when you still have 20 more to go.<p>I always like to double check the spreader by keeping a eye on the hopper. Hard to do sometimes, esecially when you've been busy all day and your mind is about shot, but will save alot of worries.<p>steveair<br>

Lazer
04-11-2000, 08:56 AM
If you're not 100% sure of your setting always err of the light side. It's easy enough to double back over the lawn to apply the rest of the product.<p>

Retro67
04-11-2000, 09:17 AM
My Lesko rep tells me (and does get paid to tell me this) that if I use a Lesko spreader and use the settings on the bag, I won't have this problem. Anyone have experience using the Lesco spreaders? They have a key chain you put in the slots to set and go.<p>I am wondering if it is really as trouble free in comparison?<p>John

lawrence stone
04-11-2000, 10:46 AM
I have a lesco push spreader in stainless I use on my residential properties.<br>I like the adjustment mech. very easy to control the amount. <p>That electric spreader that the grassman is<br>pushing looks like the same unit that has been avialble from Lesco in the past. The one electric button on/off switch is much better than the<br>cable adjustment on/off that on the JRCO.<p>The adjustment on that lesco? electric spreader will match the lesco products.<br>