PDA

View Full Version : Bushes for erosion control???

mybowtie
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I need some ideas on which bushes/shrubs will work best on a very steep slope(cant walk it,its that steep). something with deep roots. Not worried about looks...its behind the house and drops down to a creek.
Im in upstate Ny so they need to be hardy. Any ideas??

AGLA
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Euonymus x fortunei "coloratus" is a good evergreen ground cover that works. That works well in shade as well. I've planted it throught jute netting to help stabilize slopes.

If you have sun, there are lots of junipers that lay on slopes like Blue Pacific. Both the roots and the branching slow water down.

You have to remember what causes erosion in order to fight it. Volume of water x speed of water. Anything that you can do to reduce volume helps and anything you do to reduce speed. Divert or retain what you can from going over the slope. Reduce the steepness whenever you can. And introduce obstacles (like foliage laying on the surface) to make absorb energy and slow water down.

mybowtie
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Thank for the reply...I am putting jute mats down first, then hydro seeding for a quick growth. The shrubs will be a second phase.