PDA

View Full Version : Covering Grass Seeds?

Merkava_4
04-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Some people use straw, others use steer manure. My next door neighbor says
he likes to use grass clippings.What do you prefer to cover grass seeds with?

Kreios
04-06-2011, 06:35 AM
I always use straw.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
A light layer of mulch.

I stay away from straw as it can be full of weed seed. If I use straw, I use a sterilized straw that I can get from an erosion control supplier.

Darryl G
04-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I use bagged shredded straw. It's not cheap but I like it.

Smallaxe
04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Shedded straw is certainly better than long stem, but you really only need it on really hot summer sun lawns, or slopes... What I hate about straw, is that it never gives a complete full lawn, always 'dead zones', sometimes as large as, 2-3 inch squares or circles...

Most lawns in the Spring or Fall will do fine with no covering, other than being finely raked into the loose soil... I like to add finely sifted compost or peat on top if I can...

Grass clipping are fine too as long as they are not wet clumps sitting on the lawn after a rain, becuz they can suffocate the lawn quickly... Mulch mowing or side shooting accomplishes a nice covering for overseeded lawns...

RigglePLC
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Water is best and quicker to apply. Set up a temporary battery operated sprinkler timer. Otherwise straw. You may get a few wheat seedlings--they don't persist. Grass clippings are fine, my opinion.

Oddly, I am watching a sloped area in the park, that had some construction and digging of a drainage ditch last November. It was covered with some kind of inch thick plastic excelsior mats and staked down with wooden stakes. Some old grass is beginning to come up through the mats and some new seed (sowed and probably germinated last November), is coming up through the mats in places. But the mats appear to be plastic fabric--will they decompose?

starry night
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeh, that stuff will degrade, I think mostly from UV. I just used some last fall on a seeding job.

Smallaxe
04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Cost effectiveness for those types of fabrics is what I wonder about... One scaper got ahold of 2 rolls of 'floating row covers' for about $40... They were partials of 500' rolls evidentally meant for tractors on fields...
That would be cost effective.. :)

JB1
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
we blow straw on.

bx24
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Water is best and quicker to apply. ?

that is what I use.

Patriot Services
04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Depends how crappy the soil is. Sometimes nothing. Sometimes topsoil, peat, black cow or a mix. Depends what the customer is open to paying for. Florida soils are usually OM poor anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device