PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Please Help!

peapod1125
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey all,

I have a customer that wants me to prune several bushes. Most are simple shape ups, but there is a plant that the customer thinks is a burning bush. There are a few leaves left from last year and it does not look like one to me. He said maybe a fire something or other.

My question is, if it is a burning bush which I will make sure before I start, how would I go about this. It has been pruned to look like a hedge but he wants it more in it's natural form. I want it to produce in the fall, so I know timing is important. I think they just do not want these to get out of control. There are a few side by side. I included a couple pictures if anyone thinks they can help me. Thanks in advance.

OrganicsMaine
04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
That is definitely not burning bush. It looks like either a bayberry or an inkberry holly.

Either way, you want to thin it a bit from the inside, and prune it below where you want it to be this summer, allowing it to grow into the size and shape that you want.

If you are pruning burning bush, you don't need to worry about pruning too much, they grow like weeds, and the color isn't from flowers, but from fall color on the leaves, so you won't do too much damage when pruning it.

R & R Yard Designs
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Looks like a privet to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

peapod1125
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Awesome Thanks. I am taking a class on pruning in the middle of May. I know some stuff needs to be pruned early spring so you do not clip the new leaves or flowers that come up later. If you have any other advise it would be great. Thanks so much.

Another picture I found, looks like the same thing.

Dr.NewEarth
04-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Good on you for taking classes, for being curious and looking for the answers.
There is so much that we can all learn about landscaping.
Many won't take the time.

I constantly read and write, I love attending lectures and seminars,
I work in this industry, I teach part-time,
but I will never stop learning.