PDA

View Full Version : Soil Test Results

Six8
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Got my soil test back and not sure how to go about this organically. Don't want to put chemicals on my lawn. My turf type is centipede.I have some thin spots and weeds in the lawn also. Let me know if more info is needed. Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Dr.NewEarth
04-06-2011, 02:08 PM
We'll need to know the nitrogen too. "N"

I'm not aware of the characteristics of centipede, but I find the pH being optimum at that level a bit low for grass.
I was taught that it grows best close to 7, being neutral on the pH scale.

Any-body else?

Smallaxe
04-07-2011, 08:22 AM
Just start adding compost and mulch mow always so as not to lose any more mineral nutrients and see what happens... You ca get potash from wood ashes... Phosphorus will be in most biosolids, like compost or Milorganite type products... Along with N...

One problem with P is that it binds to the soil and become inaccessable to plants, so adding OM may help your Myccorizza population as well, which in turn extracts the Phosphorus right from the soil... Very few soils are deficient in P in the U.S. is what I heard...

Six8
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
I was not given the N in the report. I cant find any compost in my area. Could I use cottonseed meal with any positive results. My local coop has that. I will start mulching every time I cut. Thanks

Dr.NewEarth
04-08-2011, 02:02 AM
I was taught that grass clippings are 90% water
7% nitrogen, 1% phosphorous, 1%potassium
If I mulch alot, I count that as one fertilizer application.

Smallaxe
04-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I was not given the N in the report. I cant find any compost in my area. Could I use cottonseed meal with any positive results. My local coop has that. I will start mulching every time I cut. Thanks

Use whatever is available... OM in the soil will carry with it whatever constituint parts that was consumed by the plant, and certainly makes those nutrients more available... Grass doesn't need a perfect agriculturally balanced soil to grow healthy and green...

I believe the cottonseed meal will also have a source of N, which is the most trying nutrient to keep in stock...

benjammin
04-22-2011, 11:56 AM
We'll need to know the nitrogen too. "N"

I'm not aware of the characteristics of centipede, but I find the pH being optimum at that level a bit low for grass.
I was taught that it grows best close to 7, being neutral on the pH scale.

Any-body else?

Centipede grows best at about 6, or even lower, no good at 7.

benjammin
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
and regardless of your Nitrogen source, centipede only wants 1/2 pound per 1,000 square feet, applied approximately one month after greenup, which is usually about now in SE NC. I usually aerate about a month after greenup and then top dress with a compost nitrogen source a week or two after aerating. A second fert app is debatable but definitely do not do a fall Nitrogen app.