the area is 215 sq' in a rectangle patern
3" to 5" deep and tapers to the edges.
the turf appears to be a blend.
I am looking for the least impact on the
surrounding turf.
what would be the first best option?

dose0018
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I did a job like this last spring. But instead of just one low area it was a bunch of smaller areas. I think we brought in about six or seven yards or dirt (used a dingo), don't really remember. Some may not like my answer but it worked out great, I should look and see if I have photos.

I did not remove the grass from the low area. I scalped it with weed whip in the low area, leaving the tapering edges in tacked. Brought in good quality dirt filled it in. You may want to watter a couple of times or roll the new dirt slightly to ensure it will not compact more. Rake it out nicely, and put down an seed mix that will match the rest of the lawn. We also put down starter fert, and a very light layer of compost to partially cover the new seed.

If it works out well around the tapered edges you will get some of the existing stand of grass surviving and the dirt will have acted like a topdressing and in the deep parts the new grass will grow in. Make sure it is watered properly or you will have made their problem worse not better. It is also worth noting that I do not know what times of year seeding is feasible where you are located. I am from MN.

This spring I have a similar job but they client requires sod, and is not ok with seed due to the house going on the market.

When you end up doing the job take some photos and post them up. One of the tricker parts is estimating the amount of dirt needed because if varies based on how quickly or how steep the taper is.

thom
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
I did a job like this last spring. But instead of just one low area it was a bunch of smaller areas. I think we brought in about six or seven yards or dirt (used a dingo), don't really remember. Some may not like my answer but it worked out great, I should look and see if I have photos.

I did not remove the grass from the low area. I scalped it with weed whip in the low area, leaving the tapering edges in tacked. Brought in good quality dirt filled it in. You may want to watter a couple of times or roll the new dirt slightly to ensure it will not compact more. Rake it out nicely, and put down an seed mix that will match the rest of the lawn. We also put down starter fert, and a very light layer of compost to partially cover the new seed.

If it works out well around the tapered edges you will get some of the existing stand of grass surviving and the dirt will have acted like a topdressing and in the deep parts the new grass will grow in. Make sure it is watered properly or you will have made their problem worse not better. It is also worth noting that I do not know what times of year seeding is feasible where you are located. I am from MN.

This spring I have a similar job but they client requires sod, and is not ok with seed due to the house going on the market.

When you end up doing the job take some photos and post them up. One of the tricker parts is estimating the amount of dirt needed because if varies based on how quickly or how steep the taper is.

I like your idea of scaping the grass before adding topsoil.I bid the job,so now it's waitnsee.