PDA

View Full Version : omh pro topsoil screener

dirtybiz
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Anybody tried or used on of these topsoil screeners: www.omhproscreen.com ? The price is much more doable for most small/medium landscape companies who cannot afford a 30-40k screener, but need the option to do so. Also nice that it can be picked up and moved around alot easier.

We used to just rent one, i think they were thomas', but the rental stores around here don't even carry them anymore. When times got tough i think they were one of the first things to go. Not to mention they were $400+ per day.

Any constructive input/comments would be greatly appreciated. I wish i could try one before i bought one. Not sure about the battery operated one?

blowerman
04-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Watched the video, read the specs, I'd pass. Unless you are screening a large quantity of soil I found it's cheaper to buy screened from the big soil guys.
I owned a Royer Shredder and 544 Deere with the idea I'd screen my own soil and found even though I used several thousand yard a year the numbers didn't work. Now, I use field run. The one thing I'd do is look for a bigger shaker in the used market. I'm not saying they are not nice to own, it's just hard to justify the expense and have employees run it.
If you come back with a statement about how you'll be the one using it; your time is still worth something. Now you got me thinking, that I'd like to find a nice used shaker again.

5speedpsd
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Looks like a fairly nice machine. Looks like it would be hard to load with an excavator though. I also dont like that it can only be moved with a machine. Means you always have to have a machine wherever it is, could cause a problem. Personally I think depending on the type of work you do they can be very useful. The company I work for has one that is larger then those models but not much, can be easily towed behind a pick up. I can't remember what type it is exactly but maybe an older ez-screen. We very rarely us it to screen soil to sell maybe screen 200 yards a year to sell. its nice for us because if we take good soil out of a job instead of hauling it out and hauling in top soil we can screen it on site and save alot of time and money. I dont know if you rent equipment but we also rent ours out alot to suppliment the cost. Couple guys that rent it out once in awhile when were not using it, cheaper for them and pays off the machine. Those look like nice machines but don't know about them if you can't demo one, and they look like they would be alot of hassle. Theres a guy on ebay selling one model there like 20,000 new and look much more practicle on there, if you go on ebay and just type in screener they come up.

curtisfarmer
04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like a lot of good dirt going through the front and wasting production. Needs a longer screen.

ConstSvcs
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I own one of these........bought it used from the original owner for $5500

It works very well on reasonably dry soils of any kind and trench bedding.

http://www.ez-screen.com/interior.cfm?pid=ez%20500xl

ksss
04-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Dirty, I looked at one of these last year for USFS project that I bid but did not get. I liked the machine. Considering the price, its capacity and ease of transport if your not needing to process tens of thousands of yards of material it seems like the perfect solution. I talked with these guys at length. I felt comfortable with the product.

However I picked up some ideas at ConExpo I think there might be an alternative with additional options beyond topsoil.

They are the Remu or the Allu screening bucket.

stuvecorp
04-06-2011, 08:50 PM
I like it but haven't ever used one, would love to try one out. I like that a skid can do it but do worry it doesn't have a long enough screen run. especially if the dirt is sticky. I also like that it can be set on the truck and trailer the skid so it can be a one trip deal. It is better money wise as the other screeners are too big and too much money.

I have rented a Thomas and it works okay but is too big for a skid(without a high lift bucket) and really needs to be towed by a two ton size truck.

5speedpsd
04-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Dirty, I looked at one of these last year for USFS project that I bid but did not get. I liked the machine. Considering the price, its capacity and ease of transport if your not needing to process tens of thousands of yards of material it seems like the perfect solution. I talked with these guys at length. I felt comfortable with the product.

However I picked up some ideas at ConExpo I think there might be an alternative with additional options beyond topsoil.

They are the Remu or the Allu screening bucket.

How did you like the Remu, I looked at them about 2 years ago when they had a conexpo in ct. Seemed like a really good idea at the time but needed to be refined. There was another company making the same idea but all mechanical. pretty much put the soil in the bucket and it somehow shaked it through a screen, don't think that system would work to well. Although the Remu on the other hand was a great design.

J. Peterson Grading
04-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I had a Allu screening bucket on demo a year or so ago. It did ok as long as the soil was fairly dry, but if it was wet it was a no go.

I also didn't like the process time. It just seemed slow.

J.

MOREDIRT
04-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I demoed a remu bucket last year that thing sucked. It was very slow it was an 18k boat anchor.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
The Allu bucket had an active display. Two excavator mounted units and a skid steer model processing material, but the skid steer was not being used when I stopped by. Allu has made some changes to the their bucket, better bearings, and they claim better performance in damp material. I watched for some time the excavators run. Now this was bone dry material and it processed the material in what I felt was at a productive rate. This bucket has a lot of options in types of screening. I am still studying this bucket.

From that display I went to the Remu display which did not have an active display. However, I ran into a contractor from South Dakota. The guy has an older Remu on a BC S-300. I spoke with this guy for over an hour. He is an end user not a salesguy. He explained to be what he does with his bucket and I was amazed. The newer model now has three rollers and would be even more productive than his two roller model.

I have never run one so I defer to those that have, but I think these buckets have a place and I think you can make money with one.

Once I have researched these two more especially the Allu (do to the amount of options it has in screening) I plan on seeing if I can get a demo model to try out for myself. If moisture is their biggest downfall, I am good here in the high desert.

J. Peterson Grading
04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
I also had the Remu on demo for a week last summer. We were running it with a bit dryer material, but it was more chunky. The chunkyness of the soil made it hard to feed the unit, and made it extremely slow. We ran it one day for almost 8 hours, and all we had to show for it was about 2 to 3 tandem loads of processed soil.

For my money, I think just some sort of a simple screener would work best for me.

J.

ksss
04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I also had the Remu on demo for a week last summer. We were running it with a bit dryer material, but it was more chunky. The chunkyness of the soil made it hard to feed the unit, and made it extremely slow. We ran it one day for almost 8 hours, and all we had to show for it was about 2 to 3 tandem loads of processed soil.

For my money, I think just some sort of a simple screener would work best for me.

J.

How tight did you have it set? 36 yards in 8 hours is not very good. Was this on a skid steer bucket? Did the Remu have two or three rollers? How was the quality of the material processed?

curtisfarmer
04-07-2011, 08:45 AM
I rented a Reed 40 and using a Kubota L48 and a KX121-3 with grading bucket I did about 400+ yards topsoil (3/4" screen) in about 12-14 hours in dry weather. I paid $275 for the screener delivered and I thought that was pretty good. I am gonna stick with just bulking out my topsoil pile every year or 2 and avoid buying a screener. Using my own stuff is the best thing I have done in a while. I bring EVERYTHING organic from jobs back to my yard and stockpile. After a while my pile was huge, so I did what I did and couldn't be happier. Maybe some bigger machines to load would be better with but I used what I have.

dirtybiz
04-07-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the feed back, unfortunately no one around here rents topsoil screeners right now. There is one in the whole valley for rent, but you have to have a semi to pull it and a large front end loader to screen with. Not to mention i beleive they wanted about $800/day when i checked into it last fall! Plus the loader, and delivery since your average joe cannot go and pick it up.

Even the thomas screeners we used to rent we had to use our F650 to move it around, and even then i would not have wanted to drag it around very far from home. I think this would be a great asset to most small/medium sized landscaping companies if it works as advertised. With it's low purchase cost, low operating cost, and the ease of packing it around it seems like a pretty good setup.

I emailed the company to see if they have any in MT i could look at and possibly demo. I could see a few companies around here having them if they caught on. Seems like it would be a good deal for the rental companies too, anyone with a trailer and a skid steer could rent/haul it around, and low investment cost.

The big question is, do they work as advertised??

Krafty
10-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Dirty what did you find out with this?? Were you able to ever demo one??