PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice..

greenstar lawn
04-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I have a client that i just picked up over the winter. They just got the driveway cemented in the fall of last year and now want to do some landscaping along the driveway.

In the first picture she wanted to put mulch all along that side of the driveway. Well The problem is water builds up here and didn't think mulch would be the best solution. So I told her lets do stone here. so from where i took the picture to the gate(which is in front of my truck) would be Limestone. Sound like a good idea? Or would mulch work here?

Next in picture two, I am standing just in front of the gate, she wants about 9 Emerald Green Arb to cover up the pole and have some privacy. She also wants mulch all along there. Shouldn't be to much of an issue not much water collects in this area. How does that sound?

In pictures 3 and 4 she asked what we could do in this area. I told her lets level it out and run mulch along this part. She liked the idea so I told her i could run a border along the fence, then fill in with top soil and lay down mulch. How does this sound? Would stone be a better choice?

Let me know what you guys think, thanks.

McG_Landscaping
04-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Doesnt sound too bad! If you're going to leave the ground how it is rock or stone is probably better but (I can not tell the grade really well here) you could build up the space with dirt to almost level with the driveway then slope it away from there so the water doesn't sit and puddle as shown in the picture. If you sloped it away, then you could mulch and possibly even get a plant design/install out of it as well. But like I said, I can not tell exactly from the picture the slope. Good Luck!

jhouchins
04-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Doesnt sound too bad! If you're going to leave the ground how it is rock or stone is probably better but (I can not tell the grade really well here) you could build up the space with dirt to almost level with the driveway then slope it away from there so the water doesn't sit and puddle as shown in the picture. If you sloped it away, then you could mulch and possibly even get a plant design/install out of it as well. But like I said, I can not tell exactly from the picture the slope. Good Luck!

I agree. I would bring in some topsoil where the water stands to fix that. I like the emerald greens, they make a good privacy fense. Some plants in those other areas would be a good upsale as stated above.

greenstar lawn
04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Well the problem with the other area is that is where its easiest to stack snow. So I am not sure i wanna go and sell her things that i could possibly destroy over the winter.

Smallaxe
04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Standing water under the stones isn't going to matter, if you use regular wash stone. Crushed limestone seems to have too many fines in it and you end up with a partially impervious surface... Just be sure that where the arbs are placed they have decent drainage even though they with survive it better than other shrubs...

I agree, mulch is not a good idea except maybe around the shrubs, just keep the grade below the driveway... It looks like the driveway was elevated correctly so you don't want to be the one that creates a mess when it rains... :)

betmr
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
I just wonder if you realize how large Emerald Green Arborvitaes get? About 30 ft. tall, and about 10ft. spread. Do you have room there for that? You don't want them growing into the walkway. At a minimum, you would need to put the root ball at least 6 ft. from the sidewalk

greenstar lawn
04-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Standing water under the stones isn't going to matter, if you use regular wash stone. Crushed limestone seems to have too many fines in it and you end up with a partially impervious surface... Just be sure that where the arbs are placed they have decent drainage even though they with survive it better than other shrubs...

I agree, mulch is not a good idea except maybe around the shrubs, just keep the grade below the driveway... It looks like the driveway was elevated correctly so you don't want to be the one that creates a mess when it rains... :)

The arbs should have proper drainage I am not to worried about that. Your right i don't want to be the one that causes the mess when this is done with, that's why i turned to you guys for a bit of advice to see if my plan would work. Mulch would go around the shrubs which would be in picture two. Thanks for your advice bud.

greenstar lawn
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I just wonder if you realize how large Emerald Green Arborvitaes get? About 30 ft. tall, and about 10ft. spread. Do you have room there for that? You don't want them growing into the walkway. At a minimum, you would need to put the root ball at least 6 ft. from the sidewalk

Not sure what Arbs you're talking about but these one will grow about 15'. I am spreading them out about 3 or 4 feet apart. There is plenty of room in picture two to have 7 or 8 Arbs along the driveway, its not a walk way. The root ball will prob be 4 feet from the driveway. I don't think i will have a problem with it interfering with the driveway