PDA

View Full Version : Need help - Dumping Boulders on steep street

JimLewis
09-27-2002, 08:34 PM
Next week we are starting a retaining wall project using 1 man basalt rock boulders. We have ordered 18 tons of the stuff to be delivered (in 2 or 3 seperate loads on different days).

Only problem now is how to dump the rock safely. The street we are working on has a decent slope to it. And I think the rock will be fine in a pile once it's come to rest. But the challenge arises when the actual dumping will occur. I can see some of the boulders taking off and rolling down the street.

We are trying to figure out a way to block the rocks from falling down the street. One idea was to park our trucks and trailers downhill and lower the ramps on the trailers. Then, the ramps would stop any rolling boulders. Problem there is they may also be damaged in the process.

Another idea was to construct a retaining wall barrier of some sort.

We also thought of just stacking strips of sod below where the rocks would be dumped.

All of our ideas so far seem pretty lame. Anyone have any more ideas?

ianc
09-27-2002, 08:46 PM
dump into a pile of sand - spread the sand out 12" thick - should stop the runaway stones

PAPS
09-27-2002, 10:20 PM
have a guy sit in a skidsteer or a backhoe and just stop any runaways as he dumps. I have done it before several times. I like the sand idea too....

Turfdude
09-27-2002, 10:24 PM
Jim,

Why not get a load of 8-10 old tires. stack them in street where load is to be dumped. Then you could place a couple of 2X12's up on end behind the tires and keep them braced w/ either the rear wheels of a vehicle, or a couple larger pieces of equipment. Of course, if you're using a piece of equipment (skid steer, tractor, etc) to move the boulders, just place the bucket down behind the load.

Bob

Darryl G
09-27-2002, 11:20 PM
How about using some concrete construction barriers. That's what they use around here when drilling/blasting along the road. You can usually rent them. Of course, they're heavy so you'll need a backhoe or loader or good sized forklift to place them.

I'd play it on the safe side.

Stonehenge
09-27-2002, 11:35 PM
I like the sand idea. Around here that's used to soften the blow of boulders into beds of trucks. It's cheap, quick, easy and effective.

Didn't they use bags of sand to stop cannon fire at some point in history?

hosejockey2002
09-28-2002, 01:51 AM
Try pointing the nose of the truck downhill when he dumps. That way maybe the truck itself will help block any boulders from rolling downhill. The sand idea sounds good too.

Randy Scott
09-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Just go to your local hillclimb for snowmobiles or bikes and find a handfull of those morons that like to try and catch 500 pound tumbling objects coming down the hill at them. It'll give 'em practice for the events!:D

karl klein
10-02-2002, 11:00 PM
like jockey said i would point the truck down hill and then take a landscaping tie and put it behind the tires of his truck and every thing should roll against it

JimLewis
10-03-2002, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I used some of your ideas. We ended up installing a TIRE retaining wall (connected with rope) to stop falling rocks along with a sandy-loam base for the boulders to land on. Tires were free on loan from the tire store we always go to. And the sandy-loam we needed for backfilling anyway. So it worked out perfectly! Thanks.