PDA

View Full Version : Landscaper's reference book

A1 Grass
09-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Any good basic reference books for landscaping?

(Yes, I know about the "search button, thanks.....)

heygrassman
09-30-2002, 12:45 AM
Site Work and Landscape Data Book, 20th Edition: RS Means Co. $90 New

John Allin
09-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Means Book... all the way.... great reference tool.

Lanelle
09-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr

Just Turned Pro
10-02-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Lanelle
Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr

2nd that... lots of info in this book. The only downer is that there are only drawings, no pictures. Not a big deal unless you are a "visual" person.

I am probably going to pick up Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs. I saw an ad for it in the back of my copy of The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation (by Dirr) and it looks pretty good. It says that it has over 500 species and 700 additional cultivars that are suited for cooler climates. PLUS 1656 color pictures.

LawnLad
10-03-2002, 03:29 AM
Third the "Manual of..."

Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs is a great book - good for quick picture reference. Use the Manual to get more detailed plant information.

I bought Plant America's Photo CD's a while back - both Dirr's woody plants and Alan Armitage's photo CD of Herbaceous Plants. Tons of pictures, but the software for browsing is awkward, incomplete and not very user friendly. Four CD's that you have to pop in and out of the drive depending on which letter of the alphabet you want to look at. There are tons of pictures - but printing is not the best thing in the world.

I spoke with Hillary Barber at Plant America, who is the current rep for the CD. She tells me they are planning an upgrade on DVD that will be more user friendly and will contain all information on one disk - but I'm not sure it will include the written word from the Manual. I think they want to keep these separate. Too bad they can't make an all inclusive reference guide... that would be amazing.

I'd also look into "The well tended perennial garden" by Tracy DiSabato-Aust.

Lanelle
10-03-2002, 09:56 AM
I have both the Dirr CD set and a Horticopia CD set. The Horticopia is more user friendly and allows several pictures and information to be placed on the same page, making for nicer presentation sheets. Dirr also has a habit of using arboretum photos of the largest, most mature specimen anyone has ever seen. That can scare the client.

John Allin
10-03-2002, 12:22 PM
We have the Horticopia CD too.... nice pictures. Works well for presentations.

lawnstudent
10-03-2002, 04:09 PM
Forth on the "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants by Michael Dirr". I also like "The American Horticultural Society A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants" by Christopher Brickell and Judith D. Zuk.

jim