PDA

View Full Version : Yard signs

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 02:51 AM
I have been contemplating getting lawn signs for the longest time and cant make up my mind on what i want. I have been designing them for awhile and they all match my branding and i guess i need your opinions.

I need to know whether to go with:
-Full Color, 2 colors, or one color
-1 side or 2 sided
-18"x24" or 12"x18"
-HD Stakes or Normal Stakes
-100 pieces or 50 pieces

I think that yard signs are a great way of getting business because after done with a mulch job, stick it in the clients front lawn(with their permission of course) and then hand 10 neighbors on each side and across the street. 'We're in your area, look for our signs see the work we do......" type of letter with our business card and a brochure attached.

Also, with the big lawns we have the stripe the hell out of the, leave one there for a month(with permission) and get my name on my work.

This is what i am thinking.
-100 pieces
-2 sided
-two color(green and black/Grey/white)
-normal stakes
-18"x24"

Here is my design and a couple other ones that are the same. I am going to use the one that says Complete Grounds Maintenance.

Tell Me what you think and what i should do. I would love to hear feed back from you if you have used them and what has worked best for you.

White gardens, bosetti lawn care and a couple other on here i see them using them, but not to many other people. I think branding is huge but for full color vs 2 color its a 3.50 price difference each. I'm looking at 2.85 each plus stakes at .79 each and shipping at 45 dollars for 100.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 03:09 AM
EDIT ON THE 'Complete Grounds Maintenance' not ground

Turf Commando
04-07-2011, 03:16 AM
I select 2 color and hd stakes, better to pay once then replace those twisted tin ones over and over again

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 03:24 AM
I select 2 color and hd stakes, better to pay once then replace those twisted tin ones over and over again

not quite sure what you mean. Twisted tin ones? Are they weak so if you put in ground they break when you try to get them out?

They are h stakes, made out of metal.

Turf Commando
04-07-2011, 03:45 AM
Every sign shop has different stakes, I bypass the cheap ones and get heavy duty .. .
The hd ones don't flex in the wind can be pulled up re staked over and over...

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Every sign shop has different stakes, I bypass the cheap ones and get heavy duty .. .
The hd ones don't flex in the wind can be pulled up re staked over and over...

gotcha that makes sense. so they are justifiable for 1.65 each rather than .79cents?

Turf Commando
04-07-2011, 03:49 AM
gotcha that makes sense. so they are justifiable for 1.65 each rather than .79cents?

I pay like $3 a piece good deal at $1.65

Bush Lawn Care
04-07-2011, 08:38 AM
too much info on your sign design. I know it looks simple and easy to read, but you are reading it sitting still.
your sign needs to be designed to
- draw attention to itself
- be easily read at 30 mph
- convey your message

get rid of the starburst with the "fully insured - free estimates"
put that in a straight line under your web address. Why not have some regular customers write a short review of your service. makes copies and have on hand.
then have your signs say "fully insured with references" or something like that, I mean, face it, who charges for estimates?
in any case, that little starburst, tho fully intended to draw attention, doesn't flow with the sign design and is too small to read.
from 30 feet away at 30mph, any text under 3 inches tall can't be read.

Bush Lawn Care
04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
oh, and the heavy duty sign stakes are a must. I always had a hard time convincing customers they were worth the extra buck and a half, but trust me, the regular H-stakes are made of galvanized #9 wire, first good wind and they will be laying over

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
oh, and the heavy duty sign stakes are a must. I always had a hard time convincing customers they were worth the extra buck and a half, but trust me, the regular H-stakes are made of galvanized #9 wire, first good wind and they will be laying over

I will definitely get the heavy duty stands. Also, im not going to be charging customers to have these in their yards, i am going to be rewarding them. I am paying for my marketing not my clients.

I do see your point with the fully insured star bubble and i am considering removing. Its simple and straight to the point, you dont see a laundry list of services offered, you see a company name, a broad category of what we do, and a phone number and website.

Also, these are going to be put on residential streets where the speed limit is usually 25. I am not targeting the people flying by, i'm targeting my present clients neighbors. When they see our trucks there each week or on a big job, and then see a number to call after our trucks leave, they will know who to call and who is taking care of the clients property. How could you possible write down a number going 30 mph down a road? Maybe if you can see if from a quarter mile away but were not talking about billboards, just lawn signs. Something to get my name out there.

Here is a quick change with different font of what i think you were talking about.

JFGauvreau
04-07-2011, 06:19 PM
I think they look pretty good, and like others said, get good stakes and good quality materiel. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra money on them, after all you can always pick them back up after a couple days. (Assuming they are not stolen lol)

Bush Lawn Care
04-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I like that. the starburst made it look cluttered.
now what you have is professional looking, clean, and easy to read.
Not nitpicking or anything, but if I may make another suggestion, capitalize the "W" and "R" of with references, and stretch the wording so that is the same length as the url

but once again, I think it looks alot better now, great job!

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 07:44 PM
i just put the references really quick in there, not the same font or anything as the other writing, i will definitely get the hd stakes.

Thanks for the advice

honeydopm
04-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I pay $1 apiece for stakes and cut them in half so they dont blow over if theres strong wind.

Puddle of Oil
04-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Where are you getting your signs at? They all look nice!

walker-talker
04-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Theres a guy on ebay that will do them for 2.50 each with stake and shipping. Two sided, one color, 18 x 24. I bought 200 and thought they were really nice.

Bush Lawn Care
04-07-2011, 10:15 PM
wow!!!!! that's dirt cheap, must be screen printed and he is willing to work for peanuts.
materials cost, when I was still in business, a case of 100 stakes was $60, a case of 100 24 by 18 white coroplast blanks was $90. that right there is $1.50 each, add in inks, shipping, and labor. yeah, he is working for nothing

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Where are you getting your signs at? They all look nice!

havent really decided yet but every place has similar pricing on the net.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 10:49 PM
FOUND A EXTREMELY GOOD DEAL> i wanted full color but couldnt find anything under $900 for 100 two sided.

heres the link on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-18x24-Full-Color-Yard-Signs-Custom-2-Sided-Stakes-/220669389296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3360eba9f0#ht_994wt_958

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 10:53 PM
They are 50 Full color double sided with stakes and free shipping for 280 dollars total. (5.6 cents each)
I was ready to pay almost 450 dollars for two color 2 sided with no stakes

I am going to order 50 full color and 100 black and white and put them EVERYWHERE

DLONGLANDSCAPING
04-07-2011, 11:06 PM
here is another full color two sided quote for stakes and 50 lawn signs from a company online.

walker-talker
04-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Delong, this is where I bought my signs, but off ebay. They offer better deals than what you can get from their website....if they are offering what you want. Here's a link to their ebay auction. Search their store to see if they have something you're looking for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320548563781&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

UpNorth
04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I got signs from Bob at Plan-It Graphics.

Full color on both sides, and i think they were about $10 each. Including the stakes.

dingybigfoot
04-09-2011, 12:01 AM
My signs always go missing, they never stay up long. It really pisses me off.

icex
04-30-2011, 05:56 PM
I deal with a guy in town who does 50 of them for $250 whatever design you want. He does screenprinting.

www.dominodirect.com

I was dealing with another guy but when I paid $95 for 6 signs I knew my ass had been burnt and plus they arent readable because they stretched the vinyl. Screen printing is the best way to go in my opinion.

mountainsouter
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Becareful where you put them I had a client tell me it was ok to put one at the corner of there yard.But they told me the city would take it down they do now allow yards signs.

Avonlea22
05-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Delong, do you have any pictures of the final product in use?

Dtauriac
06-07-2011, 01:02 AM
I have only one sign that I use. I paid $60 for it and it works like a charm everytime. It holds up against the weather and what happens is it seems I always get the client that knows everyone in the neighborhood and everyone has questions about the landscaping project - I also get a lot of visitors while working the project. Wait I guess it's different when I doing landscaping projects as opposed to maintenance.