PDA

View Full Version : new lawn ?s

grassman88
04-07-2011, 10:02 AM
ok just went and looked at this job and have a few questions the guy said the lawns 60 years old theres alot of big roots just tuchinh the surface, i usally rototill the ground first but with the roots i dont think i can what should i do?

i was thinking level out everything and bring in compost and try to mix it in but without the rototiller how should i got about it?

also what lb per square foot of seed do u you guys think works the best?

thanks alot!

BlazerRidge
04-07-2011, 07:36 PM
What seed are you going to be using?

grassman88
04-08-2011, 09:09 AM
most likely a fine fescue its part sun part shade im about to just scrap the top (grass, moss, leaves,rocks) up and lay 2-3 inches of loam compost mix the soil there isnt sandy is looks good (old apple orchard) just needs a nice applcation of lime and then the loam/compost mix then seed starter fert. does that sound right or should i do it diffrently? i wish i could do it the way i usally do but scared of breaking rototiller on the roots

BlazerRidge
04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Fine fescue seeding rates are about 3.5-5lb per 1000ft^2. Its going to be hard to mix the compost and lime with the soil without tilling it. Just make sure you break the surface really well with a rake or something like that.

Smallaxe
04-11-2011, 09:29 AM
WhatI hear you saying, is that you want to ammend the soil and reseed, but there are too many "Big roots" which I assume are tree roots and they are above the surface.

But you haven't said whether or not there is any kind of grass growing there now or how large and area you are dealing with.

Your scraping idea will tear a lot of tree roots and compress them into the ground.

It sounds to me that plugging(aeration) is called for, then add your lime and amendments, then rake out and seed...

grassman88
04-11-2011, 02:38 PM
roots are just at the surface and its a 9500sqft there is little patches of grass and moss over the entire lawn what i was thinking is a tractor with york rake to rake off the top and put compost loam mix 2-3" then seed