PDA

View Full Version : To you guys that get checks from customers

soloscaperman
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM
I get checks weekly and monthly and was wondering if you guys use Quickbooks E-checks. It's only $12.95 a month flat fee with no hidden charges. It would be nice to log into my laptop at work or at home everyday and add my checks online. How long does it take for the checks to clear??

RLS24
04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
if you're getting checks AND monthly, i think you could save a lot of aggravation just by getting all of your customers on one monthly billing schedule, how many accounts do you have?

mowerbrad
04-08-2011, 12:00 AM
I have quickbooks and never have even considered using the E-checks thing.

For me, my bank has a branch at the grocery store as well as two other branches in town. I'm in town regularly, so I will just bring the checks with me when I go out and drop them off at the bank. I'll usually make 1 or 2 bank runs a week so I'm not sitting on a bunch of checks at my house (like you I get checks both monthly and weekly depending on the customer).

So for me, since I'm near the bank regularly, the $12.95/month is just not worth it at all.

RLS24
04-08-2011, 12:09 AM
I have quickbooks and never have even considered using the E-checks thing.

For me, my bank has a branch at the grocery store as well as two other branches in town. I'm in town regularly, so I will just bring the checks with me when I go out and drop them off at the bank. I'll usually make 1 or 2 bank runs a week so I'm not sitting on a bunch of checks at my house (like you I get checks both monthly and weekly depending on the customer).

So for me, since I'm near the bank regularly, the $12.95/month is just not worth it at all.

yeah I kinda do the same thing. to me, it seems like that quickbooks thing for checks is just laziness for not wanting to go to the bank.

Bumpmaster
04-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Where is Norm, He should know alot about finances?

calvinslawnservices
04-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Most banks now you don't even have to go inside now, you can just go to the ATM and it reads them and post usually the same day.

soloscaperman
04-08-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm not lazy. I just don't like wasting gas going to the bank standing inline for a long time. Think about time going there waiting inline then going back home. Also miles adding your truck, wear and tear, it wall adds up. If I get a check I like to cash it asap. I only have around 25 clients and I don't like if they are all monthly because you always have to play catch up on bills and gas and so on. If I was rich I would do that but this is just my third year in this bad economy.

Richard Martin
04-08-2011, 02:47 AM
My wife drops the checks off at the bank once a week. It's only a short distance from where she works and takes 2 minutes in the drive through.

Landscape Poet
04-08-2011, 05:17 AM
I get checks weekly and monthly and was wondering if you guys use Quickbooks E-checks. It's only $12.95 a month flat fee with no hidden charges. It would be nice to log into my laptop at work or at home everyday and add my checks online. How long does it take for the checks to clear??

Solo,

Let me know if you dive into this and how it works out by a P.M if you would not mind.

Sounds interesting and a time saver for me. I struggle getting to the bank during there hours of operation, cause if it is daylight, I am working. This maybe a affordable solution..let me know your thoughts on it if you give it a go.

AI Inc
04-08-2011, 06:01 AM
I just mail a deposit in daily.

Get Some...
04-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Solo,

Let me know if you dive into this and how it works out by a P.M if you would not mind.

Sounds interesting and a time saver for me. I struggle getting to the bank during there hours of operation, cause if it is daylight, I am working. This maybe a affordable solution..let me know your thoughts on it if you give it a go.

No night deposit box?

fazzy815-66
04-08-2011, 08:12 AM
I have this feature on my Smartphone (chase program), where I can take a pic of front and back of the check and they are deposited in my account. The drawback is they only let you deposit so many cks a month ( I think mine is 50). This service is free for me! Its nice to be able to deposit checks from anywhere at any time.

Get Some...
04-08-2011, 08:18 AM
I have this feature on my Smartphone (chase program), where I can take a pic of front and back of the check and they are deposited in my account. The drawback is they only let you deposit so many cks a month ( I think mine is 50). This service is free for me! Its nice to be able to deposit checks from anywhere at any time.

That,s a sweet deal......:)

Roger
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I follow a practice mentioned above, go to the bank when I have a few checks, and make the deposit. My bank is very near, and I drive by it on my way to my route, or during the route.

My bank is a community bank, with a few branches nearby. I want to establish a relationship with them. Using the night deposit, using an electronic system with E-deposit, or other such means that keeps me out of the bank is not for me.

By establishing a business relationship with the branch manger, the customer support rep, and even the tellers, I know I get personal service. If there is a problem, they know me, and I know them. They have helped me on several occasions (the latest of which was fraud in my account). Using a night deposit, electronic deposits, or other, would have meant they did not know me, nor did I know them.

I believe there is great value in knowing your banker, and the people who work in that bank.

WestGaLawnCare
04-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I just get self addressed stamped envelopes from my credit union which have prepaid postage. It usually takes a couple of business days for my account to be credited.

Hey Fazzy..are your deposits credited immediately? or does it take a day or so? Your way of doing things sounds even better.

XLS
04-08-2011, 01:45 PM
we are only allowed 500 checks a month and then they add a 2 % fee and they only allow us to deposit 5000.00 a month in cash so every week we pay alot more then $12.00 out in fees ....... i wish i could get a new bank lol

DLCS
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Night depost box, no waiting in lines.

Puttinggreens
04-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Do a search on Lawnsite, I know I contributed to a tread on this topic recently.

We use the feature through Quickbooks and I love it. We did have to purchase a particular scanner recommended by the service but it was well worth it. I believe there are two main scanners they recommend. We choose the nicer one for $270 but I have since scanned almost all of my estimates, property maps and contracts into the computer.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
04-08-2011, 10:05 PM
My bank sends a courier to pick up my deposits. The only time I go to the bank is to cash my check and that is once a month.

James

fazzy815-66
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
we are only allowed 500 checks a month and then they add a 2 % fee and they only allow us to deposit 5000.00 a month in cash so every week we pay alot more then $12.00 out in fees ....... i wish i could get a new bank lol
they take the same amount of time when you go to the bank to deposit them. they show up immediately when I check them on line

fazzy815-66
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I just get self addressed stamped envelopes from my credit union which have prepaid postage. It usually takes a couple of business days for my account to be credited.

Hey Fazzy..are your deposits credited immediately? or does it take a day or so? Your way of doing things sounds even better.

oooops I quoted the wrong person! westgalawn that was for you!

GreenI.A.
04-08-2011, 10:50 PM

Your bank charges a fee for depositing checks? and limits your cash deposits?
I can scan checks at the ATM if I want, also for a small fee my bank lets me enter checks online, I use this for fert customers who are on a monthly payment program. They give me one voided out check and I automatically bill their checking acount the first of each month. It's nice, I can enter all of them ahead of time on a rainy day and they will automatically get billed on the 1st

shade tree landscaping
04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
XLS
you have the only bank in the world that has a limit on cash deposits! Never heard of such a thing! Even having a limit on how many checks they will cash (deposit) is very strange to me! 101% of banks take your money to make them money (loans, etc)....

shade tree landscaping
04-08-2011, 11:56 PM
my bank is open 7 days a week YES 7 days a week, open until 7pm few nites a week, drive thru open at 8 am...

I always have time or make time to get paid! If I dont cash checks, im not making anymoney!

AI Inc
04-09-2011, 06:27 AM
XLS
you have the only bank in the world that has a limit on cash deposits! Never heard of such a thing! Even having a limit on how many checks they will cash (deposit) is very strange to me! 101% of banks take your money to make them money (loans, etc)....

At one time that was the norm for buss accounts. Kinda went the way of the horse and buggy.

XLS
04-09-2011, 05:59 PM
we use alot of different banks and its not really just one who does it i can think of like 3 or 4 right now and ***trust here is the worst

nobagger
04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm not a fan of Quickbooks any more! We just had to update our program last year to the tune of I think 300 bucks and now the payroll part of it is going to be unusable. Now you have to go directly through them, of course for another fee.

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 01:59 AM
my bank is open 7 days a week YES 7 days a week, open until 7pm few nites a week, drive thru open at 8 am...

I always have time or make time to get paid! If I dont cash checks, im not making anymoney!

my bank is open 7 days a week as well and open m-f until 7pm and saturday until 3pm and sunday until 2pm. and there are a few banks like that around here, so its not that special.

Landscape Poet
04-12-2011, 02:45 AM
No night deposit box?

With the amount of some of my deposits, I enjoy knowing the money actually gets there and getting a deposit slip recording my transaction.

I once had a night drop, which had a significant amount of cash, get lost. The clear self sealing baggies that the bank gave us to seperate the cash deposit from the checks, well that sticky residue made the bag get stuck in the top of the deposit drop.

The deposit was for well over 6K!!! As you can tell by the me knowing how it got stuck....they did find it...two days later and after I questioned my account balance, but never again, all I had was my word that I deposited so much in cash and checks, and a video recording of me dropping of a baggy from the bank security.

So while yes my bank has a night drop box....I will not be using it. :hammerhead:

AI Inc
04-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Why are you depositing cash?

GreenI.A.
04-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Are you saying we shouldn't take cash or that we report that we don't take cash
Posted via Mobile Device

TJLANDS
04-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Deposit Cash?

whats that?

PerfectEarth
04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Wasting gas and time going to the bank??? LOL.

C'mon. It's what you do to run a business. For that few accounts, you do not need to be paying for a service like this. Pass by the bank, whip out the ATM card, deposit the checks, go byebye. Easy.

chris@perfectlawncare
04-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm not lazy. I just don't like wasting gas going to the bank standing inline for a long time. Think about time going there waiting inline then going back home. Also miles adding your truck, wear and tear, it wall adds up. If I get a check I like to cash it asap. I only have around 25 clients and I don't like if they are all monthly because you always have to play catch up on bills and gas and so on. If I was rich I would do that but this is just my third year in this bad economy.

I rarely see my bank tellers -- I just drop an envelope in the night deposit box. If I do go in, they know my name and treat me well. Gotta love local banks!
Posted via Mobile Device

stan the man
04-12-2011, 10:29 AM
i am not bank person. i use the credit union. the union i am with has 5 branches. i mow and plow them to. they all know me and my guys. i make deposit once a week

PROCUT1
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Interesting. A bank that tries to discourage you from making deposits?

Puddle of Oil
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
i bank with chase. i downloaded their app on my smartphone witch allows me to take pictures of the check then deposit it online through the phone. its pretty cool!

i didnt read the whole thread so sorry if its been posted already.

AI Inc
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Are you saying we shouldn't take cash or that we report that we don't take cash
Posted via Mobile Device

What cash , theres no cash I dont know what ya talking about.

Landscape Poet
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Why are you depositing cash?

Because I claim it too....too scared of getting caught I guess, the rewards do not outweigh the risk IMHO. I do not give cash discounts but often I am asked what the cash price is, I still give the original price and sometimes they still pay in cash.

zturncutter
04-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Last year less than 1% of my revenue was cash, mostly online, credit/debit cards,and mailed in checks.

gasracer
04-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Checks,cash,gold,goats or a barter trade, it all gets recorded and deposited.None of my clients have any interest in credit card or online bill pay. Most don't even own a computer.

Squires4Seasons
04-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Does your bank have a night deposit box? You could drop your deposit off when you go out and cut. You wouldn't need to worry about anything.

WheatBookkeeping
04-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Checks clear in 24hours. $12.95 flat per month is a good rate. I had know idea it is so cheap.