PDA

View Full Version : Rated lifting capacities

treadlite
04-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Just curious how realistic the operating capacities are as stated by the machine manufacturers.

My Cat 226B3 is rated for 1600lbs and I have to lift some equipment on pallets onto my equipment trailer using the pallet forks. The stuff weighs around 2000 to 2200lbs... wondering if I'm going to have problems or not.

Any opinions??
:drinkup:

Brodie
04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
There are usually safety margins factored in meaning that they under-rate the lifting capacity.

Having said that they have come up with the safe lifting capacity for a reason. Ive seen guys try to lift loads that are too heavy and it limits control and you will end up lifting wheels off the ground.

Just my opinion but always best to stay with manufactures specs.

bobcat_ron
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
It won't do it unless you like staring at the ground. You can always buy a bunch of weights from a gym weight training kit and chain them to the rear of the machine, or duct tape a bunch of fat kids to the engine cover for extra counterweight.

ksss
04-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Just curious how realistic the operating capacities are as stated by the machine manufacturers.

My Cat 226B3 is rated for 1600lbs and I have to lift some equipment on pallets onto my equipment trailer using the pallet forks. The stuff weighs around 2000 to 2200lbs... wondering if I'm going to have problems or not.

Any opinions??
:drinkup:

ROC is determined by cutting the tipping capacity in half. So if your ROC is 1600 you tipping is 3200. I would say with some finesse and depending on how the material is palletized, and assuming flat ground and that you some experience that you can lift that weight.

Mark Oomkes
04-08-2011, 01:55 PM
My Toolcat is rated for 1500#'s and it'll lift a full pallet of fert or salt. That's 2400#'s.

Picked up an 18' ProTech with my T190.

I figure the worst that can happen is the bypass opens. lol Well, so far anyways.

summitx
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
My old 226b2 would lift 2200lbs of blocks, plus the pallet, plus the forks; off of a trailer, and into a backyard... very slowly and very low to not tip the machine. That was about the most weight without having the back tires come off the ground. hope this helps

StihlBR600
04-08-2011, 04:29 PM
The rated operating capacity is 30% of the tipping load. They do this just to be safe.

Mark Oomkes
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
The rated operating capacity is 30% of the tipping load. They do this just to be safe.

Only on tracked machines.

SellingIron
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Your ROC is 50% of your tipping load on Skidsteers (35% on Track Machines) . Also, when using pallet forks (42" or 48") they (Who is that) say you lose around 20% of your lifting since the material is further out in front of you.

Just buy a bobcat and you can lift industry leading weight...:weightlifter:

bobcat_ron
04-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Just buy a bobcat and you can lift industry leading weight...:weightlifter:

And pay an industry leading price to a company that sold out to Koreans. :laugh:

JPsDuramax
04-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Try it. If you don't feel safe, don't do it. And if the machine doesn't like the weight, it'll let you know. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

SellingIron
04-09-2011, 01:52 AM
But made by Americans B-Ron..

Digdeep
04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
But made by Americans B-Ron.....while sending the profits overseas...
Posted via Mobile Device

SellingIron
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
...while sending the profits overseas...
Posted via Mobile Device

Your right again Dig. Amazing..

DeereMan85
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The profits go to wherever shareholders reside. If you want Doosan's profits to stay here, buy stock in their company.

SellingIron
04-10-2011, 10:16 PM
The profits go to wherever shareholders reside. If you want Doosan's profits to stay here, buy stock in their company.

Deereman, Do not go against Dig's wisdom. Oh yeah. He is only giving us his 2 cents...

Digdeep
04-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Deereman, Do not go against Dig's wisdom. Oh yeah. He is only giving us his 2 cents...

And my free sarcasm.
Posted via Mobile Device

Digdeep
04-11-2011, 03:26 PM

From the Korean Stock Exchange??? I don't even think you can get American Depository Shares for Doosan on the NYSE.

This comment isn't meant to be sarcastic, but it's a stretch to say that even mutual funds would provide you with any substantial way to keep the profits in the US. Even a fund hedged heavily in Doosan would probably only amount to small fractrion percentage of each invested dollar. At least if I want to buy DE, I can ensure that every dollar is going where i want it. Awesome stock and American company by the way.

DeereMan85
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
From the Korean Stock Exchange??? I don't even think you can get American Depository Shares for Doosan on the NYSE.

You don't need them. It is perfectly legal and feasible for foreign investors to trade shares on the Korea Stock Exchange. You just need to find the right broker.

And I agree on DE - one of the best investments you can make, IMO. I just don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the profits of a foreign company are limited to residents of a company's home country. That being said, I prefer to do business with companies that are based here in the States.

Mark Oomkes
04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Own any mutual funds?

Digdeep
04-11-2011, 06:48 PM
Own any mutual funds?

I actually own a few; however, I've never invested in one to specifically own a stock of a company from overseas. One of mine actually has shares in South Korea that account for 1.3% of the geographic diversity.

Most mutual funds are pretty well diversified to spread out risk...even the high risk funds, and fund managers make those choices. You find me a mutual fund that has a major holding in Doosan and I'll be proven wrong.

Digdeep
04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
You find me a mutual fund that has a major holding in Doosan and I'll be proven wrong.

A major holding would be defined as a percentage that would realistically have a "move the needle" statistical ability for investors to keep those profits stateside. I'd like to think a guy could find one; however, I doubt it.

treadlite
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
So, how many pounds of mutual funds do you think my machine will lift?? (it's amazing how these things get off track.....):weightlifter:

Mark Oomkes
04-12-2011, 01:05 PM
I actually own a few; however, I've never invested in one to specifically own a stock of a company from overseas. One of mine actually has shares in South Korea that account for 1.3% of the geographic diversity.

Most mutual funds are pretty well diversified to spread out risk...even the high risk funds, and fund managers make those choices. You find me a mutual fund that has a major holding in Doosan and I'll be proven wrong.

Just making a point that to think one doesn't own anything but American companies or stock in them is short-sighted at best.

bobcat_ron
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
So, how many pounds of mutual funds do you think my machine will lift?? (it's amazing how these things get off track.....):weightlifter:

Oh you want off track? Take a CTL on a side hill expedition!!
Posted via Mobile Device

bearmtnmartin
04-12-2011, 09:52 PM
If you are any good, you can just kind of finess the weight up there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ip5DUAtoFw